Line Combos: 2014-2015 Habs defense

HabsDood

We're the best
Jun 30, 2008
Montreal
I don't think we have a thread on what our defense will look like next year..

Of course in this scenario Markov walks, Emelin's not happy, is traded along with Desharnais and Pacioretty for Crosby :sarcasm: and we re-sign some 7th D like Murray (no Bouillon) and "insert your singing here" :naughty: for dept.

I'm not verry good at this but that's not the point.. How 'bout

Beaulieu (6'2") - Subban (6'0")
Gorges (6'1") - Pateryn (6'2") If he does well in pre-season
Tinordi (6'6") - Weaver (5'10")

Imagin the cap money saved on D and of course, Subban gets 8.4M$ and the "C".. All Ds are playing their natural position, hope I got this right. Feel free to criticse in all due respect. I'm not a hockey analist, just a fan.

What's your line-up?..

Update:

Gorges - Subban
Markov - Emelin
Tinordi/Beaulieu - Trade

Rumour is that Weaver won't be re-signed.. With the Markov re-signing.. Only one of Tinordi-Beaulieu can now fill in.. Unless they play on the right. I still think Emelin should be moved.. What do you think?

Update.. Gilbert and Weaver in..

I'd go with:

Beaulieu (6',2") - Subban (6',0")
Markov (6',0") - Emelin (6',2")
Tinordi (6',6") - Gilbert (6',2") \Weaver (5',10")\surprise

Not bad..

Last edited:

Dagistitsyn

Aug 27, 2011
Nova Scotia

Of course in this scenario Markov walks, Emelin's not happy, is traded along with Desharnais and Pacioretty for Crosby :sarcasm: and we re-sign some 7th D like Murray (no Bouillon) and "insert your singing here" :naughty: for dept.

Imagin the cap money saved on D and of course, Subban gets 8.4M$ and the "C".. All Ds are playing their natural position, hope I got this right. Feel free to criticse in all due respect. I'm not a hockey analist, just a fan.

What's your line-up?..

Brolieu, Tinordi and Pateryn all in the top 6 at the same time just is NOT going to happen. Thankfully.. :shakehead

habsterr

Jan 5, 2014
Edmonton
Current Dept chart:

FA: Subban, Markov, Weaver, Murray, Bouillon

LD:
1. Emelin (can sorta play RD)
2. Gorges
3. Beaulieu
4. Tinordi (has played RD)
5. Drewiske

RD:
1 Pateryn
2. Nygren
3. Dietz

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
The If he does well in pre-season is going to bite you in the ass. A guy doesn't magically become top-4 over a summer.

Some reasonable expectation is Pateryn will become a regular #7 dman.

BigHabs

Aug 3, 2009
The If he does well in pre-season is going to bite you in the ass. A guy doesn't magically become top-4 over a summer.

Some reasonable expectation is Pateryn will become a regular #7 dman.

Muzzin went from #6 guy last year to #2 for LA this year.

Doesn't happen everyone but it is possible.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
With that D we'll be closer to McDavid rather than the Cup, which is where we should be headed - towards the cup.

We need support for Subban and there isn't a #2 or good #3 on the market this year, so I think we'd have to do something through trade.

Tinordi, Beaulieu and Pateryn will not be on the team at the same time next year.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
I doubt we'll be seeing so many rookies. With giving Leblanc away and re-signing Therrien 4 years we're likely making room for players who help us compete now.

bigtimehockeyfan999*

What's your line-up?..

tinordi - Subban
beaulieu - gorges
emelin - pateryn
a weaver type guy.

JoelTD

Aug 7, 2011
I have been more of a reader then a poster on the forums here but here is what I think will/hope be our D pairs for next season

I hope that the Habs let Bouillon and Murray go this summer, the second pair would depend on if Markov stays or leaves as a FA, if he doesn't re-sign here I would try to get a top 4 RH def either in a trade or as a FA. Than I would like to see Tinordi and Bealieu slit time with Weaver where they would learn a lot with in my opinion.

If Markov walks
Gorges - PK Subban
Emelin - a RH Def
Tinordi/Beaulieu - Weaver

If Markov stays
Gorges - PK Subban
Markov - Emelin

Last edited:

Intangiblezz

Oct 21, 2012
Josh Gorges - PK Subban
Nathan Beaulieu - Alexei Emelin
Jarred Tinordi - Mike Weaver
Greg Pateryn

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Gorges-Subban
Markov-Emelin
Tinordi-Weaver
Beaulieu

... fine as a default. I liked Markov-Subban and if they could work the pairings in other ways to get them back together while getting the other mixes right, that would be great. There are some options there. 8 guys will see the ice anyway, so Pateryn will still get to play too. Maybe he unseats one of the other rookies. Maybe not, minor detail.

NLHabsFan

Nov 18, 2008
Alberta
I think we'll see a return of a similar D-Corps we had in the playoffs.
Gorges - Subban
Markov - Emelin

I think our D will be hurting if we don't re-sign Markov. There is no one on the roster or in FA that can replace him.

My only hope is that both Tinordi and Beaulieu make the step next year and force MBs hand to move someone out because they overtook them on the depth chart.

hf27

Jan 29, 2013
My only hope is that both Tinordi and Beaulieu make the step next year and force MBs hand to move someone out because they overtook them on the depth chart.

You're forgetting there is road block named MT armed with a new 4 year extension preventing youth from moving forward.

digmor crusher

Jul 11, 2009
He's not preventing anyone from moving forward, coaches have 1 job, its simple, win games. He will put the best players on the ice to help him accomplish this job, a bunch of rookies will not help and they will only play if they are better, in the coaches eyes, then someone else on the roster. You cannot win with too many rookies., I remember something from a few years ago, someone did a study, basically for every rookie in your lineup it will cost you a certain number of games, I cannot remember the number, 2 losses per rookie maybe?

HabsDood

We're the best
Jun 30, 2008
Montreal
Update:

Gorges - Subban
Markov - Emelin
Tinordi/Beaulieu - Trade

Rumour is that Weaver won't be re-signed.. With the Markov re-signing.. Only one of Tinordi-Beaulieu can now fill in.. Unless they play on the right. I still think Emelin should be moved.. What do you think?

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Markov - Subban (Keep our best two players together, they were awesome when paired together most of last year)
Beaulieu - Gorges (Gorges will cover a lot of Beaulieu's mistakes, hopefully he's able to handle more minutes and take away time from Markov)
Emelin - Nygren (Emelin looked great with Diaz before, definitely think he can have similar chemistry with Nygren)
Pateryn/Drewiske

Our transition game would significantly improve from last year with a lineup like this, I think Nygren can step in and be pretty effective given his professional experience. If Tinordi outplays Beaulieu he can take that spot, but right now Beaulieu is clearly ahead of him.

crazyd

Canada is hockey
Jul 2, 2006
Our D is dysfunctional.

It's not that we don't have good assets. The pairings just don't work.

I would use Emelin as trade bait. We need a Top4 veteran RHD.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Our D is dysfunctional.

That's what she said! ;)

No really, with Markov staying and Bouillon/Weaver not receiving an offer so far, I can see Beaulieu as a regular and Tinordi as a #7, maybe #6 if he does well.

Right now it's:

Gorges - Subban
Markov - Emelin
Beaulieu - ???
Tinordi

So, yeah, we need somebody. Since we apparently won't sign Vanek, I totally see Bergevin going after an upgrade on D. Probably via a trade, but who knows. It would be incredible if we could put one of Emelin or Gorges on the 3rd pairing and reduce Markov's minutes.

And no, forget about it, we won't go into the season with 3 rookies as regulars on D. At the very best, one of Beaulieu or Tinordi will get a spot and the other will have to earn it as the season goes, but that's it. So guys, stop making pairings with 2 or 3 rookies. Won't happen.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
In an ideal world, we acquire a #2 or #3 defenseman to anchor the 2nd pairing so Markov can play with Subban, or Markov can anchor the 2nd unit and we have two solid pairings, but it'd cost quite a bit to get that in a trade and the options aren't really there in free agency.

I'd dangle Emelin out to teams and see what we can get in a package.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Time to get at least one prospect going.....and stop thinking they have to play 5 minutes a games for 60 games before being able to take 6 minutes.

Markov - Subban
Beaulieu - Emelin
Gorges - XXXXX

That's where i would've seen Weaver....but i would start to play Beaulieu 16 to 18 minutes a game with good PP time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->