2014-2015 General Wild Discussion Thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

kfan22

Jun 20, 2012
I say we have a better chance of beating Anaheim. Start Dubs against them and let Kuemp take a beating when we inevitably lose 5-0 to St. Louis again.

Dubnyk has to start Friday IMO that is the most winnable game of the next 2 IMO Just because it is at home and after 2 days off, And usually the backup always gets the 2nd of the back to back in most cases

Minny Lakes

Apr 4, 2013
Dubs should play against the Ducks (and Darcy vs STL), everyone is fresh and healthy, your chances of winning are pretty good at home vs the Ducks.
Don't waste a game of Dubs when everyone is tired on the 2nd of a back to back. Let Darcy play, he has a lot to prove so he has every reason to play well. If he stinks, so be it. If he plays well, he gets to play again and you can comfortably throw him in a game to give Dubs another rest.

kfan22

Jun 20, 2012
I'm starting to wonder if Dubnyk may actually play all 15 remaining games.

I was thinking last night when it got to 5-1 to put Kuemper in for a majority of the 3rd, When that didnt happened I thought the plan may be to play Dubnyk both games this weekend. 3rd period last night was a perfect chance to get Kuemper work

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
I was thinking last night when it got to 5-1 to put Kuemper in for a majority of the 3rd, When that didnt happened I thought the plan may be to play Dubnyk both games this weekend. 3rd period last night was a perfect chance to get Kuemper work

Don't think I've ever seen a goalie start a 3rd period just to get him eased into action. Once a goalie starts a game, unless he gets injured/shelled, he finishes it, IMO.

kfan22

Jun 20, 2012
This is a different situation than most though. We have had one guy start in 26 straight games and the backup who hasnt seen NHL minutes since Jan 20th If the plan is to start Kuemper in one of these weekend games then they should have given him a period it was 5-1 early in the 3rd. If the plan is to start Dubnyk both games then there was no need to get Kuemper in last night

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
He ranks 21st among all goalies in TOI....He could play every game the rest of the way and still probably not crack the top 10. Why the concern about resting him?

El Nino22

Nov 19, 2010
I think the concern is first of all burning Dubnyk out. Right now it doesn't look like should be an issue but the obvious other concern is that in the case or chance you do need another goalie to play, neither Backstrom nor Kuemper has played at all and there's nobody in Iowa you're comfortable with to step in for a game(s) either.

The thought of Kuemper playing against St. Louis definitely scares me but as disappointing as his season has been, that kid has a ton of talent and I still think he will be a pretty good goalie in this league eventually.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Unless he asks for a night off, I play him the rest of the way or at least until we lock up a playoff spot.

Right now, Holtby and Quick have played 58 and 57 games, respectively. Dubnyk has only played 44 games. There are only 15 games to go in the regular season. Even if Holtby and Quick didn't play any more games the rest of the way, and Dubnyk played every game, he would only have played 1 more game than Holtby and 2 more than Quick.

I don't think we need to worry about him burning out. And if he gets hurt and we have to rely on Kuemper to carry the water, I don't see how getting him in there for one or two games will help much.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I think people get nervous about consecutive games, not the number. I've never played goalie so I can't speak to whether it's worse.

El Nino22

Nov 19, 2010
It's not just the regular season though, it's being conscious of the playoffs too. I understand the goalie you've mentioned, Quick and Holtby, have had a similar or even bigger workload and I'm all for Dubnyk playing as much as possible. I just don't want to use him so much to finish out the season that come playoff time the fatigue and stamina start to hit. I trust that Dubnyk knows his body and won't play and jeopardize his season by playing when shouldn't, so maybe i'm just being too cautious but with our goalie history especially come playoff time I think some concern is warranted.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
He ranks 21st among all goalies in TOI....He could play every game the rest of the way and still probably not crack the top 10. Why the concern about resting him?

Because people on here like to make mountains out of mole hills. Classic overreaction. I would just ignore it.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011

I think people get nervous about consecutive games, not the number. I've never played goalie so I can't speak to whether it's worse.

The advanced stats guys tell you that league average save% is something like 91.5%, but on 2nd night of back-to-backs that goes down to about 90%.

Quicy

Jun 24, 2012

I agree with you, however, I think it would do him some good to not play all of the remaining regular season games.

I played goalie and we would play 4 or 5 games in a weekend during tourneys and I would be fine. I just think an night of rest to watch the team and relax a bit would do him some good.

Plus it would give Keumper some time, I know he asked for the 1-way and put himself in this position, but he still needs ice time.

Blizzard6411

#benchstoner
Feb 12, 2013
Seattle
2 days off going into the back 2 back with a short trip to StLouis, 2 days off after.

He's playing em both!

Next back 2 back he will sit one.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I think there's worry because of what happened in the playoffs... 2 years in a row.

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market

4 back to backs the rest of the way.

Its not so much about goalie, as its not that strenuous of a position wholly compared to a player. While they undoubtedly work hard, not nearly as hard as a player unless they are getting absolutely shellacked and they need to be on guard the entire game. However, back to backs are more about the team in front of the goalie player tired and it falls back onto the goaltender. I read somewhere about SF fall 2-3 and SA rise 2-3 on the tail end of a back to back. Can't remember where it was. Justin Goldman said teams allow more shots 56.7% of the time. And that was at the beginning of the year with a small sample size. With the rigors of the season setting in I would think that number has risen up to 60%. Anyways, I think its more on the team getting tired and giving up more shots along with those of a higher quality.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
4 back to backs the rest of the way.

Its not so much about goalie, as its not that strenuous of a position wholly compared to a player. While they undoubtedly work hard, not nearly as hard as a player unless they are getting absolutely shellacked and they need to be on guard the entire game. However, back to backs are more about the team in front of the goalie player tired and it falls back onto the goaltender. I read somewhere about SF fall 2-3 and SA rise 2-3 on the tail end of a back to back. Can't remember where it was. Justin Goldman said teams allow more shots 56.7% of the time. And that was at the beginning of the year with a small sample size. With the rigors of the season setting in I would think that number has risen up to 60%. Anyways, I think its more on the team getting tired and giving up more shots along with those of a higher quality.

Have you ever played goalie?

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
The wife and I just bought tickets to the 4/6 game against Winnipeg.

We bought the FSN pack which was $99 per ticket for lower corner seats, a meet and greet with Walz and the FSN girls before the game, and all-you-can-eat pop, nachos, hot dogs and popcorn. Will be taking full advantage of that offer. :nod:

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
That sounds.. perfect.

Man, I gotta travel to Minnesota when I have the money.

jimbowman

Mar 19, 2013
I will be in attendence Saturday in the "Bommarito Automotive Club Seats" which aparently offers free drinks and food. First time at the St.Louis arena.

BurnsyMN

Mar 27, 2014
St Paul
The wife and I just bought tickets to the 4/6 game against Winnipeg.

We bought the FSN pack which was $99 per ticket for lower corner seats, a meet and greet with Walz and the FSN girls before the game, and all-you-can-eat pop, nachos, hot dogs and popcorn. Will be taking full advantage of that offer. :nod:

Wow that is an amazing deal, especially for the final regular season home game.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I am less concerned about Dubnyk's fatigue and significantly more concerned about walking into the playoffs with a backup who hasn't played in months. That's just a terrible, terrible idea and asking for major trouble.

Kuemper needs to play so he is playoff ready in case he has to play. The Wild just need to suck it up, be professions, and play as well in front of Kuemper as they do in front of Dubnyk.

Backstrom is not a viable option at this point. Sorry buddy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad