2014-2015 General Wild Discussion Thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
To continue the Suter/ice time talk, when you look at his shifts per game in comparison with other #1 defensemen, you'd expect him to have noticeably more considering the gap in the ice time, but it's actually pretty comparable to guys like Weber, Giordano, Pietrangelo, Keith, Subban, Kronwall, even though they are ~3-5 minutes less per game.

Obviously some of that difference is how much power play time he gets, but I think some of the onus has to be on him and how long he is choosing to stay out there.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Or how long Yeo lets him stay out there...

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
i can totally see Yeo benching him.

Just look at it as 3 minutes less Prosser or Bickel get to play.

It's not like Suter's been a Norris defenseman lately. Actually was pretty sub-par before the ASG.

Think of it as 3 less minutes Scandella plays.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
if dubnyk is the answer great but next summer i hope we buyout backs then sign a quality ufa goalie. step 2 trade for cheap yakupov. step 3 grab a crease clearing beast D-man and were golden! plan the parade! that was easy.

DrPP

Oct 21, 2009
I understand maybe their might be a mid-shift whistle where he stays out, but other than that, it's not like Yeo can tug on his leash or anything.

So the coach calls for a change and Suter ignores it and... nothing.

Actually, that would explain a lot.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
So the coach calls for a change and Suter ignores it and... nothing.

Actually, that would explain a lot.

This isn't peewees. I doubt coaches call for line changes in the manner that you're speaking.

"Hey Ryan, Jonas. Change it up!!"

I don't think so.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
I've often wondered how they do line changes in a loud building. Just the players' responsibility to know when they need to go off and change?

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
Regular season only:

Suter in Nashville 6 games of 30+ TOI in 542 games = 1.11% of games
Suter in Minnesota 62 games of 30+ TOI in 173 games = 35.84% of games

Regular season+post season

Nashville: 12 in 581 games = 2.07% of games
Minnesota: 71 in 191 games = 37.17% of games

I just did a quick scan of the game logs for each season so I may have missed a game here or there.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Regular season only:

Suter in Nashville 6 games of 30+ TOI in 542 games = 1.11% of games
Suter in Minnesota 62 games of 30+ TOI in 173 games = 35.84% of games

Regular season+post season

Nashville: 12 in 581 games = 2.07% of games
Minnesota: 71 in 191 games = 37.17% of games

I just did a quick scan of the game logs for each season so I may have missed a game here or there.

Yeah my two concerns about this are:

1) Mike Yeo really doesn't want to decrease his ice time, just said that to blow smoke
2) Mike Yeo can't control Ryan Suter, and when your star players are bigger than your coach, that's a pretty big concern

Coaches are in charge of regulating ice time, and Suter reaching 30 minutes isn't because he stayed on the ice for a little longer when his shift was over. Even with first unit PP time in NSH (I can only assume he had it), he wasn't at 30, so that's not a thing either (unless someone can prove me wrong)

I mean, seriously, it's pretty obvious all this playing time has an adverse affect on Suter, yet he still plays that much.

DrPP

Oct 21, 2009
Whatever the explanation is, "Yeo is a great coach" is not part of it.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Russo

“I need to build confidence fast,’ ” Coyle said. “I think that’s been my issue this year. It’s got to come from within. It kicked me into gear.”

Niederreiter also said confidence has become a major issue for him during his six-week slump.

“When you don’t score, you play with less confidence,” Niederreiter said. “You start making simpler plays and I don’t want to say you’re scared going out there, but it’s more like you don’t want to mishandle the puck and you don’t want to make any mistakes. And that’s when you play a little differently than when you have a lot of confidence and just play the game.”

When Yeo spotted that confidence was at rock bottom for both forwards, he decided to, in his words, put them on the fourth line to take pressure off, give them a “chance to reset their game” and basically try to teach them to play a complete game.

Nothing builds confidence in a player like putting them on the fourth line and limiting their minutes.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Russo

Nothing builds confidence in a player like putting them on the fourth line and limiting their minutes.

Because it makes sense to give players who are playing poorly more ice time. Jesus H. Christ, no matter what he does he can't win.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
*Coyle and Nino both score after being placed on 4th line together* Hmmmm...how can we blame this on Yeo...

Jarick

Doing Nothing
No, it makes no sense to say you're going to build their confidence, then bench them.

I totally get when he says he's trying to make them more complete players, and that's a process. That makes sense. Not when you're trying to build confidence. Maybe that's a bad narrative on Russo's part. Or maybe he sees it differently than Yeo.

To group Nino and Coyle together...I don't get that.

5v5 CF%:
Nino = 54.2% (4th among forwards)
Coyle = 52.8% (8th among forwards)

Yeo had mentioned they follow up one good shift with two bad shifts. First off, that's not the case because both are positive in terms of scoring chances. Second, they are actually different players and Nino has had a bit more success in terms of generating scoring chances.

I get that you want both to limit mistakes. I don't get that they both need to be considered 3rd line players. Nino has a higher offensive ceiling and is naturally more physical and aggressive than Coyle. Don't punish Nino for Coyle's shortcomings.

You also look at guys like Brodziak, Carter, and Cooke who have worse CF% yet are now given more ice time. "But they play harder competition!" No, they don't. They have marginally worse opposition CF%.

Sorry to bust out actual facts to back up my opinion, though.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
I would like to know how many of the kids are going to stay and play second fiddle to players like Brodziak or Pominville who are getting 15+ minutes a game without fail when they are not doing anything to win these games. Goes back to the quote from Stoner about how he was not going to resign with the team because he was tired of only playing 10 minutes a night when Suter was getting 30.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->