Ribeiro - Grabovski - Doan
Domi - Vermette - Boedker
Kulemin - Hanzal - Erat

Nice and balanced.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
If Maloney got both Grabo and Kulemin and drafted Barbashev to boot, that'd be one hell of a way to repudiate his publicized views on Russians.

I'd still prefer going after Legwand over Grabo though. Bigger, better defensively, familiarity/productivity in a defensive system, chemistry with Erat.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
A top line of Ribeiro - Spezza - Vrbata could certainly do some damage. Even if Spezza is a playmaker, he does shoot the puck a lot and is a 4 time 30 goal scorer. Certainly better than Ribs in the dot, though I wouldn't say he's that much better defensively. Due 4M in salary next season - the last on his current contract.

I'd have to wait and see on what Ottawa's asking price would be for their Captain, though. I'm absolutely not interested in giving up our 1st for him, at the least.

I wouldn't pay for Spezza when we already have Ribs. I would just rather have him.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
If Maloney got both Grabo and Kulemin and drafted Barbashev to boot, that'd be one hell of a way to repudiate his publicized views on Russians.
His publicized view is that most GM's do their homework before drafting a Russian player, I'm not sure why he'd care to repudiate that. Seems like common sense and a view held by the vast majority of GM's out there.

cactus shake

Oct 22, 2013
Do we have the pieces to get Kadri? I wasn’t a fan of the idea when it was brought up ages ago & it’s still hard to see him really gelling here, but if Toronto is shopping him it seems like the kind of opportunity to add high end talent that we can’t afford to pass up.

To be that idiot offering quantity for quality for a minute - would Maloney move our first for him? The Leafs appear like a team who could actually use Korpi. Franson is the only RHD on their main roster, or maybe Stone could be packaged with picks to get something more of use for them. Player value is still all greek to me, so I’ll shut up there.

If a trade could be worked without moving a centreman, it would give us incredible depth down the middle & provide Tippett a ton of options with Kadri playing wing, too. The Kitchener/Boedker link was brought up last time, as was the fact that Kadri is an RFA next year, allowing the team a good look before committing serious money to Kadri, Boedker, even Vermette.

Last edited:

DesertDawg

Mar 6, 2002
Superstition Mts
ridefree.net
A top line of Ribeiro - Spezza - Vrbata could certainly do some damage. Even if Spezza is a playmaker, he does shoot the puck a lot and is a 4 time 30 goal scorer. Certainly better than Ribs in the dot, though I wouldn't say he's that much better defensively. Due 4M in salary next season - the last on his current contract.

I'd have to wait and see on what Ottawa's asking price would be for their Captain, though. I'm absolutely not interested in giving up our 1st for him, at the least.

Would love to have Spezza, would hate to give up the pieces for him. I could see him on a line with Doan,

cactus shake

Oct 22, 2013
Apologies if someone's done a better job already (I'll have to check my figures later), but I think this is the salary we have committed for next season. Lines will obviously vary:

? Ribeiro (5.5) Doan (5.05)
? Hanzal (3.25) Erat (2.25)
Korpi (2.3) Vermette (3.75) Boedker (2.8)
Chip (0.875) ? Klink (0.65)
?

OEL (4) Michalek (4)
Yandle (5.5) Stone (1.2)
Schlemko (1.275) Summers (0.575)
Gormley (ELC 0.81+)
?

Smith (6)
?

ELCs that could to make the main roster: (salaries not including performance bonuses)
Domi (0.925)
Lessio (0.8675)
Murphy (0.8325)

RFAs:
McMillan
Szwarz (& Werek, Brodeur, Weller)

UFAs:
Vrbata
Greiss
Moss
Biz
Halpern
Morris (& Miele, Kennedy, Yip, Hextall, Fairchild, Mitchell).

$49.785m committed to 17 players.
A little over $10m? to spend on 6 roster spots.

DesertDawg

Mar 6, 2002
Superstition Mts
ridefree.net
I think those are the 7 D we go with this year. It changes if we package one of Stone/Gormley/Schlemko in a trade for a top 6 forward, if so, we then pick up a veteran UFA stay at home D. Bit it would be somebody cheap like Rosivol not a 3 mill + guy.

I was thinking about McQuaid during the draft, but he is coming off an injury.It's better to make trades before free agency starts. I can see Stone going to a team that wants a cheap, young, replacement before free agency starts, which would be ironic in the sense that we get McQuaid as a dump to replace someone of value. Waiting until after free agency starts will limit which team to make a trade to and finding an adequate replacement.

I also wonder if the Coyotes are going to sign a buy out victim?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I like Phaneuf, but not at his salary and what it would take to get him. He'd be a great partner for either Gormley or OEL because he can play the right. He would probably do a lot better in a market where he isn't the main focus.

A Z+ for Phaneuf swap might be worth exploring. I have no idea what Toronto is asking for in trade but it can't be a lot if they aren't retaining.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I also wonder if the Coyotes are going to sign a buy out victim?

I'm keeping my eye out on Brad Stuart. If he does get bought out, there are realistically only 3-4 other teams he'd probably be willing to sign with in order to stay close to his family in California.

Anyways, awesome news regarding the resign of Summers and for about 200K/year less than what I'd expected he'd get. Hope he does get regular time on our bottom pairing next season.

DesertDawg

Mar 6, 2002
Superstition Mts
ridefree.net
I'm keeping my eye out on Brad Stuart. If he does get bought out, there are realistically only 3-4 other teams he'd probably be willing to sign with in order to stay close to his family in California.

Anyways, awesome news regarding the resign of Summers and for about 200K/year less than what I'd expected he'd get. Hope he does get regular time on our bottom pairing next season.

I do expect the Sharks to buy out Havlat & FYI, he is the same age as Vrbata and from the same city, Mlada Boleslav, CZE , if that really matters.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
So +/- is already a worthless stat, and it's even more worthless for guys like Yandle and Ovechkin who score so much on the powerplay. For Yandle, I think it's worthwhile to look at the WOWY numbers. For the uninitiated, WOWY stands for "with or without you," and it breaks down some key numbers for when players are together and when they're apart.

For example, when Yandle and Morris were on the ice together this year, (761 minutes), they had a Corsi of 52.1, which means 52.1% of shot attempts while they were on the ice were taken by the Coyotes. Yandle without Morris is 50.8% and Morris without Yandle is only 44.6%. What this tells us is that each was a better partner for the other than the aggregate of everyone else they played with (probably not a surprise). It also seems to suggest that Yandle helped Morris more than Morris helped Yandle (though their linemates and usage when apart were different).

In general, if Yandle were truly a defensive problem, you would expect his teammates to mostly have better Corsi without him than with him, as they'd either be hemmed in their own zone covering for him, or his deficiencies would lead to more shots against. But that's not what the numbers show us: http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/showplayer.php?pid=815&withagainst=true&season=2013-14&sit=5v5

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Hey guys, stats lie, don't you know? So let's throw out stat A and totally go all in on stat B to try and explain away something we should all be capable of admitting by now - that Yandle is the weakest in his own zone on the team and is handled that way by Tippett.

:rolleyes:

The gap in your logic - the one wide enough to drive an 18 wheeler through - is that Corsi tells us nothing about the defensive abilities of the players on the ice. It's a good measure of how much general offensive push a player may bring but it does not magically dispel or dampen things like poor judgment or a lack of effort. It is quite possible to be a positive Corsi player and be a total liability on the ice. This gets even more questionable when you consider the breakout usually runs through Yandle on the ice, so he should be voted "most likely player on the Phoenix roster to have padded Corsi numbers." Of course you don't really mention that David Schlemko has a higher Corsi than Yandle. Wonder why?

Just to further put dirt on this: OEL and Z are both negative Corsi players. Not only that, but this "magical offense" that Yandle brings? He actually scores at a rate lower than Morris, OEL, and Connor effin Murphy.

What's the phrase of the day here? Cognitive dissonance?

You don't need to read advanced stats to know that Yandle is a gambler, and that the payoff isn't always worth the risk. For a team desperate to reestablish a defensive identity, he looks like an awfully juicy trade target.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
This reminds me of my horrible middle school stage, most every argument I made was so slathered in self-satisfaction and arrogance that no one cared what was even said. I'd fold my arms, nod my head and bask in the glow of what I though was yet another "win". Meanwhile everyone else just thought, what a little ******. Anyway if we're going to get cocky one could easily say that Tippet and DM know more about hockey than all of us combined and they both like Yandle's game. End of story right?

Last edited:

KG

Sep 23, 2010
We can sit here and speculate all we want, but GMDM is on record saying Yandle will only be traded for an overpayments, and there's no reason to think that position has changed.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
This reminds me of my horrible middle school stage

Stage?

Anyway if we're going to get cocky one could easily say that Tippet and DM know more about hockey than all of us combined and they both like Yandle's game. End of story right?

We can sit here and speculate all we want, but GMDM is on record saying Yandle will only be traded for an overpayments, and there's no reason to think that position has changed.

Perfectly reasonable. Tippett uses Yandle like the great offensive talent he is, in addition to coaching around his weaknesses in his own zone. There's really no need to try and build a case against that with cherry picked stats. He is what he is.

Most teams laugh at what it would take whenever the issue comes up. It will be interesting to see if a deal ever does go down how much we as fans overvalue or undervalue his talents.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
No way do I want Phaneuf. The lowest hockey IQ in the league imo.

$600K AAV for Summers is a steal. Don Maloney does it again!

crazyhockeylover96

Mar 14, 2009
What about a Ballard retread? Makes less money and still has the big hits. He is injury prone because of his style but we've got the defensive depth to cover down on the spot. Granted, I'd love to get someone who would deliver the hits and look scary as sh** all the way to the opponent's goalie. It's too bad all the large/strong defensemen the Coyotes have drafted in the past to fill this roll couldn't skate worth a damn.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Hey guys, stats lie, don't you know? So let's throw out stat A and totally go all in on stat B to try and explain away something we should all be capable of admitting by now - that Yandle is the weakest in his own zone on the team and is handled that way by Tippett.

:rolleyes:

The gap in your logic - the one wide enough to drive an 18 wheeler through - is that Corsi tells us nothing about the defensive abilities of the players on the ice. It's a good measure of how much general offensive push a player may bring but it does not magically dispel or dampen things like poor judgment or a lack of effort. It is quite possible to be a positive Corsi player and be a total liability on the ice. This gets even more questionable when you consider the breakout usually runs through Yandle on the ice, so he should be voted "most likely player on the Phoenix roster to have padded Corsi numbers." Of course you don't really mention that David Schlemko has a higher Corsi than Yandle. Wonder why?

Just to further put dirt on this: OEL and Z are both negative Corsi players. Not only that, but this "magical offense" that Yandle brings? He actually scores at a rate lower than Morris, OEL, and Connor effin Murphy.

What's the phrase of the day here? Cognitive dissonance?

You don't need to read advanced stats to know that Yandle is a gambler, and that the payoff isn't always worth the risk. For a team desperate to reestablish a defensive identity, he looks like an awfully juicy trade target.

The last 20 games our d was much better. Our biggest problem is scoring. Getting rid of our top scorer makes it a bigger problem.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
The last 20 games our d was much better. Our biggest problem is scoring. Getting rid of our top scorer makes it a bigger problem.

It's not an all-or-nothing proposition. There would be at least one good forward coming back if not two. That's the sort of payment it would take, and the sort that makes moving Yandle worth it. Those points don't evaporate, they just shift to other D that will have the puck more.

It's not a slam dunk which is why a trade like that is essentially a make or break move for the team and Maloney.

There's very little else in the way of trade ammo that is expendable and that would net something clearly useful. Next season is probably going to pin a lot of hope on a revamped bottom 6 and Ribeiro getting back into form. Is anyone really thrilled about that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad