2014-2015 Contracts

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Can any of us really answer some of those?

For Perreault, Silfverberg, DSP, Vatanen, and Penner it's just too early in the season.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Re-sign:

MP22
Silfverberg
DSP
Bonino
Vatanen
Holland (then maybe try to trade)
Cogliano
Penner

Let walk:
Koivu (Will most likely retire)
Winnik (DSP can replace him, let's hope)
Hiller (young stud goalie(s) coming up, and Fasth under contract)

Traded:
Sbisa
Holland

JeffShibley

Jul 31, 2005
Perreault, Silfverberg, DSP, Bonino, Vatanen, Penner, Holland, Hiller, Cogs, Winnik, Koivu are RFA or UFA...What do you offer them each or do you let them walk?

RFAs are almost never a problem, so I expect all of them to be back for nice prices just like Palmieri.

The UFAs:
Koivu: I don't think the Ducks re-sign him, he may or may not retire.
Cogliano: I think the Ducks re-sign him before he becomes a UFA with a slight raise.
Penner: Same as Cogliano
Selanne: retires
Winnik: I don't think he re-signs
Fistric: same as Winnik
Hiller: he may or may not be traded before season is over, but I don't think he re-signs.

Theridion

May 11, 2002
Orange, CA
RFAs are almost never a problem, so I expect all of them to be back for nice prices just like Palmieri.

The UFAs:
Koivu: I don't think the Ducks re-sign him, he may or may not retire.
Cogliano: I think the Ducks re-sign him before he becomes a UFA with a slight raise.
Penner: Same as Cogliano
Selanne: retires
Winnik: I don't think he re-signs
Fistric: same as Winnik
Hiller: he may or may not be traded before season is over, but I don't think he re-signs.

Cogs...

I resign him. But i try to keep it to the same value or less than currently.

3 mil for cogs... talk about a guy who was never a bargain, yet somehow finally found a niche on this team.

If he wants a penny more, it would depend on how Etem is doing.

I think every championship team has a cogs. A speedy guy on the bottom 6 who can play in both ends and on the pk.

walle

Sep 9, 2008
Northpole
re-sign everyone but

Saku (4th line role and payment or out)
Penner (maybe, for home discount, but will get more from elsewhere)
Winnik (same as Penner)
Hiller (let him walk)
Fistric is likely waived/traded soon

yes, Teemu will be back.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
It was only one contract, but Penner seems like a mercenary. I kind of expect him to seek greener pastures. If he does re-sign I wouldn't expect any kind of home discount as he only has 2 seasons of history here.

I think Winnik might return. He's not likely to get a lot elsewhere (players of his type don't normally get huge raises without a Selke or long playoff run), and we don't really have prospects in line to fill his role. DSP is not a PKer, DSP is mostly an option for the 4th line or potentially the 2nd line.

Same goes with Cogliano, and he has a few years here so there might be some roots. But he has had offensive production in the past so other teams might be more likely to take a chance on him. I can't see us outbidding anybody who has expectations of offense. I think he might test the market, but with a good chance of returning.

Perreault is in for a raise and is likely to get it. He situation is the type that could result in arbitration or fishing for offer sheets.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
As far as the UFA's:

Let Teemu retire in peace.

Let Koivu retire although i wouldnt mind him back if he wanted to.

Bring Penner back. I think he will take a discount to stay where he has had success.

Cogliano>Winnik. Keep 1 of them.

Cogs is everything Winnik is but faster and more offensive upside.

DaGeneral

Apr 15, 2012
I hate letting good players walk.

I would rather trade Hiller for something, he can fetch a 1st and a prospect. I know it would hurt our chances this season, but Hiller won't single handedly win us a playoff series, so I think Fasth/Andersen can give us similar value and we acquire a pick on top of that.

btlaffin

Deathbat
Jun 30, 2013

I would rather trade Hiller for something, he can fetch a 1st and a prospect. I know it would hurt our chances this season, but Hiller won't single handedly win us a playoff series, so I think Fasth/Andersen can give us similar value and we acquire a pick on top of that.

^ That. If anyone thinks Hiller is gonna win us a Stanley Cup, they are crazy.

Theridion

May 11, 2002
Orange, CA

If Hiller fetches a first rounder, I have a hard time (as a fan) saying no. That 1st round pick is the foot in the door to all deals for top tier dmen.

However, if my job is to run this organization, I would be hard pressed to make a dramatic move like that which might potentially blow up in my face if fasth and anderson play medeocre down the stretch. From a gm point of view, its an unnecessary gamble when your team is hot and in the potential run for the playoffs. Yeah a 1st or probable 2nd rounder would be nice, but not worth the risk it puts your team at if things dont play out right.

I hate letting value walk... im a greedy SOB. But to make runs, it happens. And gms need to answer for those costs. But hiller walking is easier to swallow than answering "why did your teams goaltending tank the last half of the season? How does that draft pick help the season of getz and perry you just wasted and seasons of ELC you just burned?"

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Why wouldn't you re-sign Winnik? He isn't going to ask that much money plus you want to retain some veteran leadership that's quite dependable. I mean you have to love grinding and there's not to many players that take pride in that, but Winnik does and doesn't complain.

I like Rakell moving into Saku's spot and we retain a shutdown line because Rakell loves puck possession. Winnik-Rakell-Cogs

I know what I'm going to get out of Winnik. DSP I don't know if that consistency will be there and similarly for other young players.

douglast5

PS3 GMC Comish
Sep 14, 2012
hfboards.hockeysfuture.com
^ That. If anyone thinks Hiller is gonna win us a Stanley Cup, they are crazy.

Hiller wont, but 25 game Fasth and 4 game Anderson will?

My list.

Retire:
Koivu
Selanne

Resign
Cogs
Winnik (if improves)
Penner (if play continues)
MP22
Silf
Bonino
Vatanen
Hiller
Holland (if its reasonable)

Trade:
Fasth
DSP (sign if winnik doesn't improve)
Holland (if he wants to much)

Walk:
Winnik (if he doesn't improve)

Really need to see how this year goes for alot of the older guys, some easy removals if Winnik/Penner just drop off.

Last edited:

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
I'd be surprised if Hiller gets a 1st + prospect, goalie market trade wise doesn't really seem that strong.

I don't see a team like Edmonton trading for a goaltender for this season tbh, they have had a terrible start and because of it will probably know they have 0 chance of making playoffs in the toughest division in hockey, might as well just tank it up for this season like they do best and look at options after season is done. Maybe you get it from the Isles, but I think they've traded a few 1st rounders in the last few years and probably want to hold onto one.

Even if you look to move Hiller at the deadline, I think the closest comparable to him that was traded post 2004-05 lockout was Huet when he was moved by Montreal at the deadline in 07-08, similar stats to Hiller, only a year or so older, pending UFA and he only returned a 2nd from Washington, and that 2nd wasn't even for the upcoming draft. So history suggests that the best you can hope for is basically a 2nd for pending UFA goaltender.

I still see trading Hiller right now as counter productive unless he really stinks it up in the next month or so. I can easily see a situation where we trade Hiller and Fasth picks up another injury and all of a sudden we have Andersen and Gibson (or Bobkov riding the pine) in the NHL and hoping Andersen doesn't have a lull in his play.

At least with Hiller and Fasth we know we have 2 good goaltenders where both can be relied on for regular starts, and also covers Anaheim in the case of an injury (other steps up, Andersen as the back up/spot starter).

I remind everyone of the 2010-11 NHL season where we went through 5 goaltenders and how quickly an injury in net can cause havoc when you have no depth in the goaltending position.

DaGeneral

Apr 15, 2012
If Hiller fetches a first rounder, I have a hard time (as a fan) saying no. That 1st round pick is the foot in the door to all deals for top tier dmen.

However, if my job is to run this organization, I would be hard pressed to make a dramatic move like that which might potentially blow up in my face if fasth and anderson play medeocre down the stretch. From a gm point of view, its an unnecessary gamble when your team is hot and in the potential run for the playoffs. Yeah a 1st or probable 2nd rounder would be nice, but not worth the risk it puts your team at if things dont play out right.

I hate letting value walk... im a greedy SOB. But to make runs, it happens. And gms need to answer for those costs. But hiller walking is easier to swallow than answering "why did your teams goaltending tank the last half of the season? How does that draft pick help the season of getz and perry you just wasted and seasons of ELC you just burned?"

All true. The good news is we have until March(I believe) to figure out the direction of the team. If Anaheim is a top 3 seed, I agree.. We can't really trade Hiller. Why blow up the back-end for long term assets. That's the tough decision. They probably stand pat.

But if Anaheim is.. lets say a 6th seed, goal-tending has been pedestrian.. why not trade Hiller plus a young asset(maybe Holland and a 1st) and make a play for a #1 d-man. But with the way the West is, and everyone within range.. it'll be tough to make a good trade

It is a really long season and we aren't even 20% of the way through.. so it'll be fun to see which direction Anaheim goes.

douglast5

PS3 GMC Comish
Sep 14, 2012
hfboards.hockeysfuture.com
Teams that need a goalie badly, probably aren't in playoff discussions and all teams know about Anaheim depth in goal.

Everyone will know that someone has to go and with Hiller being a UFA and other good goalies potentially up for trade, I could see some of them waiting.

Most fringe teams would probably want Fasth anyways because of the $ amount and extra year.

JeffShibley

Jul 31, 2005
Cogs...

I resign him. But i try to keep it to the same value or less than currently.

3 mil for cogs... talk about a guy who was never a bargain, yet somehow finally found a niche on this team.

If he wants a penny more, it would depend on how Etem is doing.

I think every championship team has a cogs. A speedy guy on the bottom 6 who can play in both ends and on the pk.

according to capgeek Cogliano has a cap hit of 2.39, so when I said slight raise for Cogliano, I was still thinking under the $3 mil. that you say he is making. I think he is worth every penny too.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Having watched a few Isles games this year I would have to think they're in the market for a goalie (and a defenseman also). Nabokov is terrible. Problem is they traded their picks for Vanek.

btlaffin

Deathbat
Jun 30, 2013
Hiller wont, but 25 game Fasth and 4 game Anderson will?

My list.

Retire:
Koivu
Selanne

Resign
Cogs
Winnik (if improves)
Penner (if play continues)
MP22
Silf
Bonino
Vatanen
Hiller
Holland (if its reasonable)

Trade:
Fasth
DSP (sign if winnik doesn't improve)
Holland (if he wants to much)

Walk:
Winnik (if he doesn't improve)

Really need to see how this year goes for alot of the older guys, some easy removals if Winnik/Penner just drop off.

Ya never know. Hiller is a proven mediocre playoff goalie. Fasth wasn't given the opportunity. Giguere had 0 playoff experience when he carried the team and won Conn Smythe in 2003. Since when has experience become the deciding factor for everything? Hiller has experience being an average goalie, and nothing more. Why not give somebody else a chance?

Suddenly7

Jun 15, 2012
Anaheim
Ya never know. Hiller is a proven mediocre playoff goalie. Fasth wasn't given the opportunity. Giguere had 0 playoff experience when he carried the team and won Conn Smythe in 2003. Since when has experience become the deciding factor for everything? Hiller has experience being an average goalie, and nothing more. Why not give somebody else a chance?

Agreed. I didn't feel comfortable having Hiller playing in the playoffs. When he is hot it's amazing what he could do. When is cold / average it's really a toss up what is going to happen. Usually doesn't end up well.

I rather have someone that gives us a chance to be successful every night while needing help from our defense.

rollingdux

Jun 2, 2012
So Cal
twitter.com
The market for goalies goes down by trade deadline. Teams that are out of the playoffs would rather keep their assets and take their chances at the draft or free agency. The teams in a playoff spot have their goalies set ( unless of an injury happens).

I would like to get the most out of our goalies if a trade goes down, but if we're still a top team in the next months and Hiller is a part if that, I don't think you can move him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->