2014-2015 CIS Recruits Thread

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I should also add that both the UNB president and vice-president are big believers in, and supporters of, varsity athletics. Both of them make the point to show up at games and get to know student-athletes. They also expect Faculty to cut student-athletes a little slack on deadlines when they "are representing UNB" at away games and tournaments. So it is safe say that UNB is fairly sports friendly in relative terms, even if many faculty members are like the proverbial Sheldon and couldn't care less about sports.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I just read the article....definitely sounds like some sour grapes. I get the impression that Hubert feels like he is somehow entitled to all of these French players and he is getting frustrated and upset that some of them are instead opting to come to the Maritimes. Maybe they come here becaise it is the best, most competitive conference in the CIS. I think if he had it his way you would only be able to recruit from your home province. It is kind of funny how the article mentions how UNB "only" has 6 NBers on the team...that is probably the most they have had on the team in quite awhile.

I like that MacDougall doesn't hold anything back in his response, either, with what might come off to some as a bit of bragging. Good for him for speaking his mind.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
I would add that the Athletics Depart. is very knowledge in what is required, deadlines, etc and are ready to assist athletes with the process to avoid delays and errors (what forms are needed, by when, to who, what online courses qualify, etc.). I believe they have a dedicated staff member doing this. The department doesn't have to do any of this, but it certainly helps in getting athletes enrolled correctly, properly vetted prior to their arrival on campus and avoids any delays/errors had it been left up to the student athlete alone. So credit has to be given to them for taking the initiative in this area.

10 years ago the department would have just checked their eligibility and the rest was up to the student (which resulted in most coming at Christmas).

In the case of Suellentrop, he had registered over the Summer and I believe he had informed his professors that he would be arriving late (if he arrived at all).

UQTR has 4 titles, but the last one was 2003 and Hubert wasn't the coach - in that time UNB has won 4 under one coach who remains the current coach. Add the two Phil's and the decision looks to be pretty easy.

Last edited:

mikeandI

Jun 30, 2010
seems like that might be an admissions dept. that is unique to very few academic universities guys. good on you guys

Dutch

May 17, 2006
Trois-Rivières
Concordia signs Frédérick Roy, son of that guy who won 4 Stanley Cups and now coaches somewhere up a mountain.

Won't be able to play this year, as he played to years in the AHL.

Last edited:

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
Justin Sefton has committed to lakehead and will suit up after Christmas. This is a important recruit for lakehead, they have been struggling on defence this year. And it's always nice to land a local player.

http://www.thunderwolveshockey.com/headlines.asp?id=7800

Can someone with more knowledge than me comment on why Sefton can play this season? It looks like he dressed for Wheeling in the ECHL for one game on Oct 24. Thought he had to wait 365 days after his last professional game?

Island Husky

Sep 18, 2008
Kensington PEI
Apparently, this story lacked enough significance to even say what is about. Perhaps a sale on men's wear at Moore's?

Aw shucks..hyuck hyuck, If I could just gosh darn get out of the backwoods and read the title of the thread. scratch scratch maybe just maybe by jiminey! maybe I could figger it out, aw hey, I am far too arrogant for that.

recruiter

Jul 14, 2011
They definitely needed another able body back there.

Christmas Recruits
St Fx --- Kristoff Knotos ECHL Orlando

Ryerson ---- Joshua Desmond MHL Yarmouth

UQTR ----Jeremy Beaudry ECHL Brampton

UOIT ---Kyler Nixon - Caledonia GOJHL

Last edited:

thook

Jan 9, 2010
Christmas Recruits
St Fx --- Kristoff Knotos ECHL Orlando

Ryerson ---- Joshua Desmond MHL Yarmouth

UQTR ----Jeremy Beaudry ECHL Brampton

UOIT ---Kyler Nixon - Caledonia GOJHL

Justin seftin made his debut with Lakehead tonight and was very good. Lakehead hosted 7th ranked UMD of the NCAA in the first of two weekend games. It was easily the best university game I have ever seen in 10 years as a season ticket holder for Lakehead. That includes two years of hosting the university cup. It was rough fast and exciting and the refs let them play. Lakehead lost 3-2 in overtime, with 0.6 seconds left in the extra frame. Fantastic game. Looking forward to tomorrow night. If Lakehead stays healthy I can see them making a run in the oua's second half. Bosch is finally back and played great in net.

http://www.tbnewswatch.com/sports/366441/Heartbreaking_loss

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=122907

Fan of the Vreds

Mar 27, 2008
Fredericton
New Recruit

The Bridgeport Sound Tigers announced today that the team and goaltender Philippe Trudeau have mutually agreed to terminate the goaltender's American Hockey League contract.

The 21-year-old Trudeau has decided to pursue a career playing college hockey in Canada. Trudeau played in eight games with the Stockton Thunder of the East Coast Hockey League this year, posting a 4.15 goals against average and an .886 save percentage.

My guess would be STU... Let the speculation begin!

leafhky88

Mar 16, 2009
Toronto
Laurier added another goaltender over the break in Colin Furlong. Last year he won the Sutherland Cup with Caledonia (GOJHL) after spending his 19 year old year as the backup (playing 20 games) with the Kingston Frontenacs.

Laurier has struggled greatly in net this year with consistency, injuries etc. Furlong started tonight's game against Waterloo, stopping 24 of 29 in a 5-4 loss for an .828 save percentage. Laurier outshot Waterloo 39-29 and had a one goal lead with less than 4 minutes to go which turned into a 1 goal deficit with less than 2 minutes to go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad