2014-2015 CIS Recruits Thread

leafhky88

Mar 16, 2009
Toronto
I believe Waterloo has added another local product in former Belleville Bulls defenceman in Adam Bignell. Bignell is from Kitchener and wore the "C" in Belleville for part of the season after Brendan Gaunce was traded.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Former X-Men defenceman RD Chisholm in line-up for UNB tonight against St. Thomas....thought he had signed pro deal earlier this summer.

UNB leads 3-0 after first period. Shots are 16-5.

hyster110

Mar 21, 2011
Interesting that he chose not to go back to X despite the fact they have a guaranteed spot in the Nationals.

guess that shows what people think of the program. he was used so inconsistently during his time there despite often outplaying some of peddles major junior recruits. hope that he can win one with the Reds

Dutch

May 17, 2006
Trois-Rivières
Concordia adds Marc-Olivier Brouillard (almost a point per game in the Q) and Antoine Houde-Caron who transfered from UNB. Won't have to skip a year since he obtained his degree.

Charles-Alexandre Plaisir, who was playing in american High school hockey, also joins the team.

Mar 1, 2013
A quick update on Jamie Wise:

After playing for the Blackhawks in the rookie tournament, Wise has signed 2-way AHL/ECHL deal with Chicago's affiliate, the Rockford Icehogs.

http://www.ryersonrams.ca/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=22300&ATCLID=209656753

Further to this, and some of the rumours that have been mentioned on here about others leaving the Rams - here is a rundown of all the players that are not coming back:

http://theeyeopener.com/2014/09/mens-hockey-hits-the-books/

leafhky88

Mar 16, 2009
Toronto
Laurier posts its roster (28 players):
http://www.laurierathletics.com/varsityathletics/createplayroster.php?sport=MHOCK

3 more players were added in addition to the original 9 announced:

F - Zach Lorentz (Plymouth, OHL)
Earlier announced as attending Waterloo, he appears on Laurier's roster. He led the Plymouth Whalers in scoring with 54 points in 68 games.

F - Michael Webley (University of Alabama-Huntsville NCAA Div I)
He last played in 2012-2013. His best junior season came in 2010-2011 when he scored 37g, 64a for 101 points in 59 games with Gloucester in the CCHL.

D - Cooper Rush (Chilliwack Chiefs, BCHL)
Originally committed to the SPHL, he comes to Laurier. He is 6'8 and 223 pounds, and would add size to any blueline. He had decent offensive production in his last BCHL season before injuring his knee. He was ranked at 132 going into the 2013 NHL Entry Draft by the NHL Central Scouting Bureau and attended the 2012 Vancouver Canucks development camp. He also participated in the 2013 CJHL top prospects game. Given his size and experience, I am surprised he is not at an NCAA Div I school.

Last edited:

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
Laurier posts its roster (28 players):
http://www.laurierathletics.com/varsityathletics/createplayroster.php?sport=MHOCK

F - Zach Lorentz (Plymouth, OHL)
Earlier announced as attending Waterloo, he appears on Laurier's roster. He led the Plymouth Whalers in scoring with 54 points in 68 games.

As far as I understand, Lorentz' decision to head across the road was made on his behalf by Waterloo's registrar's office. As talked about on this board and others, it's just not an easy school to get into - Many intelligent kids have found themselves on the outside looking in.

Last edited:

freddy123

Jun 30, 2013
Fredericton
Marcus Power has indeed landed in the AUS, joining the UPEI Panthers. Power had 109 points in the Q last year. He's expected to play Saturday night against UNB.

Wow, UPEI has added some major firepower and size up front this offseason. Although, other than Traccitto it doesn't look like they'll get much offensively from the D corps.

freddy123

Jun 30, 2013
Fredericton
Understanding the roster slots aren't used until a player plays in an AUS game, but based on rosters posted on the teams websites, only UNB and St Mary's have roster spots available (UNB only has 19 skaters, St. Marys 20). St FX's roster lists 23 skaters and Dalhousie's lists 25.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Just got done reading the Daily Gleaner's always-excellent AUS preview, and a couple things that stood out to me:

- despite rumours to the contrary, Robert Slaney is back for X this year.
- it appears one of SMU's top recruits, Mike Aviani, has decided to go pro with the Florida Everblades (ECHL) rather than join the Huskies.
- Acadia lost 3 forwards (who had 14, 12, and 9 points last year) and have replaced them with 3 guys (Leier, Franko, and Fioretti) who all had at least a point/game season in the last two year in junior and another (Giftopoulus) who had 48 points in each of the last two years....they should be very dangerous up front.

Last edited:

Fan of the Vreds

Mar 27, 2008
Fredericton
Beauvillier to UNB

According to his twitter former Rouyn-Noranda forward Francis Beauviller has decided to forego the ECHL and will join the Varsity Reds. Big pick up for them!

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
According to his twitter former Rouyn-Noranda forward Francis Beauviller has decided to forego the ECHL and will join the Varsity Reds. Big pick up for them!

You had to figure something was going to happen soon....couldn't imagine they were going to go too long with only 19 skaters (and only 17 healthy, if Petgrave is indeed injured) on the roster.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Well UQTR's coach Marc-Étienne Hubert wasn't happy with UNB picking up Beauvillier. Seems he was going the Patriotes' way until something derailed the whole thing and he's now accusing UNB of giving extra incentives to players and now talks about a possible CIS investigation.

http://www.lapresse.ca/le-nouvellis...ne=cyberpresse_B9_sports_1633428_section_POS2
Teams are not allowed to give "extra incentives"; it's against the rules. :)
He has gone to UNB to play for a National Championship and to watch the Saint John River freeze up. If there was a CIS investigation, which I doubt will happen, it would take forever and a day to complete.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Teams are not allowed to give "extra incentives"; it's against the rules. :)
He has gone to UNB to play for a National Championship and to watch the Saint John River freeze up. If there was a CIS investigation, which I doubt will happen, it would take forever and a day to complete.

Well an investigation would take two years at least, by the Dal standard.

:)

This is not the first time a francophone that UQTR thought they had lined up has ended up at UNB; they were pretty upset a couple of years ago when Marc Antoine Desnoyers chose to go to Fredericton.

So until proven otherwise, I'd chalk this up to sour grapes.

Can you imagine if Gardiner puts Beauvillier with the two Phil's? The Freddy French Connection!

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Well UQTR's coach Marc-Étienne Hubert wasn't happy with UNB picking up Beauvillier. Seems he was going the Patriotes' way until something derailed the whole thing and he's now accusing UNB of giving extra incentives to players and now talks about a possible CIS investigation.

http://www.lapresse.ca/le-nouvellis...ne=cyberpresse_B9_sports_1633428_section_POS2

The Google Translate of that story is interesting - Hubert doesn't pull any punches. My take - like Foyle, sour grapes (CHL money vs CHL and AFA - the later is a big incentive).

The reporter even hunted down Houde-Caron who took the high road and said he "hadn't personally seen anything like that (additional money)".

I would like the CIS to either sanction Hubert for his comments (hurting the brand/image of the league) or to investigate both UNB and UQTR (You better have your house in order if you're going to throw stones at someone else). And by investigation I mean a quick review of each teams' AFAs, eligibility paperwork and a quick 5min meeting with each player, ask a few questions - get a lot of 'no' and 'nopes' and done. If someone says 'yes' and 'I got' then you can open a deeper investigation.

Imagine the uproar if Western's Football coach had said the same thing about Laval?

mikeandI

Jun 30, 2010
sounds like just another recruit going to play on a winner
BUT
AUS fan, tell me how an athlete, now student-athlete can be accepted into an academic program on the 16th of October? In Manitoba the add/drop date (last day to add a class until term 2) is middle of September. if he was riding the fence between (UQTR and UNB) these schools was he an active student at both and then just dropped out of one and continued in another. But....what about....here the guy would be almost 7 weeks behind. Maybe the MBA program is a module program that you can start whenever as long as you complete it whenever.
I don't really care about the whining about incentives, however the academic process i thought is what kept the CIS somewhat respectable. Your thoughts?

Freddy Beach

Jun 14, 2013
I am not sure how they do it for sure at UNB but it has something to do with online courses and the coach being one of the more influential individuals on campus.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
sounds like just another recruit going to play on a winner
BUT
AUS fan, tell me how an athlete, now student-athlete can be accepted into an academic program on the 16th of October? In Manitoba the add/drop date (last day to add a class until term 2) is middle of September. if he was riding the fence between (UQTR and UNB) these schools was he an active student at both and then just dropped out of one and continued in another. But....what about....here the guy would be almost 7 weeks behind. Maybe the MBA program is a module program that you can start whenever as long as you complete it whenever.
I don't really care about the whining about incentives, however the academic process i thought is what kept the CIS somewhat respectable. Your thoughts?

I don't know about this case in particular, but many potential UNB recruits register at UNB over the summer or in the preseason training camp. Then they head off to their pro opportunities with UNB as Plan B in their back pocket.

If they arrive in October they are obviously too late to register in fall-term classes because they are past the add/drop date. They then enroll in online courses that are acceptable for credit, and since they were already accepted into UNB they are good to go. After Christmas they enroll in classroom-based courses and continue on with their degree program.

And yes, Coach MacDougall and other varsity coaches have some made some good partnerships with key people on campus, such as in the Registrar's office, to streamline processing applications from student-athletes. UNB is not a selective entry university; only a few degree programs have enrollment caps.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad