2014-2015 CHL/NCAA/Euro Prospects thread 6.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Funny Big Mac got up from the big hit looking for a fight, probably expected somebody to go after him...lol

I often forget just how big McCarron is…sticks out so much. Has the potential to just dominate physically.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Boston game.. first two games back in the OHL.

Liking what I'm seeing from Big Mac thus far. I think he's learning in order to be impactful on the ice he needs to use his size at every available moment. Would love more shifts like when he's throwing defenders to the ice and picking up rebounds.

Remember guys, he's not here to drive offense, but be a complimentary player.. it's hard not see how our PP has struggled and think how big of an impact a guy like Big Mac can have on an NHL powerplay with his size, strength and ability around the net.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Boston game.. first two games back in the OHL.

Liking what I'm seeing from Big Mac thus far. I think he's learning in order to be impactful on the ice he needs to use his size at every available moment. Would love more shifts like when he's throwing defenders to the ice and picking up rebounds.

Remember guys, he's not here to drive offense, but be a complimentary player.. it's hard not see how our PP has struggled and think how big of an impact a guy like Big Mac can have on an NHL powerplay with his size, strength and ability around the net.

I don' disagree that he has to dominate physically in the OHL, however, in order for him to potentially fill a top 6 role, even if he doesn't drive that line, he will need to also work on his purely skillful game...in other words he also needs to make plays where he uses vision, shot and hands, not just sheer size. At the NHL level even the smaller players learn how to play against Giants, so you can't just be a one trick pony...make sense?

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
If McCarron becomes the 2nd coming of Turner Stevenson, I'll be happy. A TS is a way more useful piece than most people realize.

I think he could be better than TS though.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Not going to expect a lot in Evans this year. Top 3 lines in N-D are mostly filled with players that shouldn't be moved from those lines and Evans himself seems to be out of his league right now.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Not going to expect a lot in Evans this year. Top 3 lines in N-D are mostly filled with players that shouldn't be moved from those lines and Evans himself seems to be out of his league right now.

7th round pick.. I think any production at all this season would be great. Next year I'll concern myself with production.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

I'm surprised he went to ND as a true Freshman, as a year in the USHL might have been better for him to mature a bit physically and then go to ND next season. It would have given the Habs 5 years before they had to sign him (though he could use the loop hole after his junior year if he wanted, Colin Sullivan can do this next year, not that it matters)

But he's there now, so for me as long as he continues to get ice time that's a step in the right direction as he's at a top program with a top coach and he's in the big 3 of terms of the top conferences in the NCAA (HE, NCHC and Big 10) so he's going to have a tough schedule playing against the best teams in the NCAA each year unlike Koberstein who did go the USHL route but next year in the NCAA he's going to be in the 2nd weakest conference so he will be playing against mostly non NHL prospects.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
7th round pick.. I think any production at all this season would be great. Next year I'll concern myself with production.

I know. I just don't see what they saw even if it's just a 7th rounder. We still shouldn't diminuish any type of rounds. Ondrej Palat was also just a 7th rounder and a 208th pick. Evans was 207th. I know, it's not common. Just saying that you still can pick some interesting profiles at that round. A guy like Jordan Nolan was a 7th round pick and that's an intriguing profile to pick up. Evans, well I guess that they went the "he's a point producing kid that went unnoticed becaues of the league and his thin frame". So we'll see in the long run. Personnally, for a team who wants to be bigger, I would use that round to go with a big guy that could. Or the contrary....the really smallish guy extremely talented that wasn't pick only because of his size. Like....Hicketts. Or Tkachev.

At one point, I thought that Sullivan was a smart 7th rounder. Because he was a good skater. He looked like a player but just couldn't put it together and was fitting well in the category of "What if he does...". Well chances are he never will....but was a good bet. Just don't think there were good bets before. Like Johnson and the rest.

But again, I know....7th round. Where making it to the NHL is not the norm.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
I'm surprised he went to ND as a true Freshman, as a year in the USHL might have been better for him to mature a bit physically and then go to ND next season. It would have given the Habs 5 years before they had to sign him (though he could use the loop hole after his junior year if he wanted, Colin Sullivan can do this next year, not that it matters)

But he's there now, so for me as long as he continues to get ice time that's a step in the right direction as he's at a top program with a top coach and he's in the big 3 of terms of the top conferences in the NCAA (HE, NCHC and Big 10) so he's going to have a tough schedule playing against the best teams in the NCAA each year unlike Koberstein who did go the USHL route but next year in the NCAA he's going to be in the 2nd weakest conference so he will be playing against mostly non NHL prospects.

True. It was a big step and it shows. Really wondering if he won't start to be healthy scratch at one point. Don't know the guys who are waiting for a spot in ND.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I liked Evans as a 7th round pick.. Doesnt mean he has to produce right away.. He has some good tools.. He's adjusting to a new league.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
I liked Evans as a 7th round pick.. Doesnt mean he has to produce right away.. He has some good tools.. He's adjusting to a new league.

Well he's not the worst that's for sure. He does have a more intriguing profile that tons of others. I'll give you that. A whole lot of gym though. And the NCAA should help him do that.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Not sure why Habs don't just go Euro with the 7th rounder. Most players that seem to make NHL in that round seem to be Euro.

GREMLIN

Tanking enthusiast
Sep 19, 2013
I was kinda pissed we didn't take a swing at Tkachev. I mean, why the **** not? It's a 7th pick.

Yeah I wish we gave him a shot too, would've been a great high risk/high reward 7th rounder.

Its easy to say now that he shined in a pro camp however, I wonder where he goes next year but I think it's safe to say he won't be available in the 7th round.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Yeah I wish we gave him a shot too, would've been a great high risk/high reward 7th rounder.

Its easy to say now that he shined in a pro camp however, I wonder where he goes next year but I think it's safe to say he won't be available in the 7th round.

It's also hard to be actually frustrated about what the habs do with a 7th pick, too.

I think ''high reward'' should be the only picks made in that round. Almost all of them bust. I don't see a problem with assuming a uniformly low probability of success, and therefore selecting for ''biggest boom.''

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Not sure why Habs don't just go Euro with the 7th rounder. Most players that seem to make NHL in that round seem to be Euro.

No offense but it would be stupid to go into a draft and just say it's the 7th round just draft a Euro leaguer. But the other thing is just how flat out terrible the Habs have been with drafting Euro's since the days of Koivu's draft sans Emelin, Pleks, and Markov.

Outside of DLR Lehkonen and Nygren all the below are out of the organization and we have little to nothing show for it not counting the few that we got something from likes of Streit, Halak, Grabo, Perezhogin, and the Kostitsyn's. I didn't count any Euro's drafted out of the CHL.

'12- Collberg (Swe), Nystrom (Swe)
'11- Pribyl (Czech)
'10- John Westin (Swe)
'09- Nattinen (Fin), Avtsin (Rus), Simila (Fin)
'08- Trunev (Rus)
'07- Torp (Swe)
'06- Valentenko (Rus)
'05- Mikus (Slovak)
'03- Christopher Heino-Lindberg (Swe), Korpikari (Fin)
'02- Linhart (Czech), Korneev (Rus)
'01- Jarventie (Fin), Ujcik (Czech)
'00- Johan Eneqvist (Swe), Petr Chvojka (Czech), Joni Puurula (Fin)
'99- Alexander Buturlin (Rus), Vadim Tarasov (Rus), Mikko Hyytia (Fin)
'98- Andre Bashkirov (Rus), Andrei Kruchinin (Rus)
'97- Ilkka Mikkola (Fin), Konstantin Sidulov (Rus), Petr Kubos (Czech), Andrei Sidyakin (Rus), Jarl Ygranes (Nor)
'96- Kim Staal (Swe), Timo Vertala (Fin), Mattia Baldi (Swiss)
'95- Miloslav Guren (Czech), Niklas Anger (Swe)
'94- Marko Kiprusoff (Fin), Arto Kuki (Fin), Peter Strom (Swe), Tomas Vokoun (Czech)

Then add FA's like Mikael Johansson (Swe), Andreas Engqvist (Swe), Janne Lahti (Fin) which also busted.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
No offense but it would be stupid to go into a draft and just say it's the 7th round just draft a Euro leaguer. But the other thing is just how flat out terrible the Habs have been with drafting Euro's since the days of Koivu's draft sans Emelin, Pleks, and Markov.

Outside of DLR Lehkonen and Nygren all the below are out of the organization and we have little to nothing show for it not counting the few that we got something from likes of Streit, Halak, Grabo, Perezhogin, and the Kostitsyn's.

'12- Collberg (Swe), Nystrom (Swe)
'11- Pribyl (Czech)
'10- John Westin (Swe)
'09- Nattinen (Fin), Avtsin (Rus), Simila (Fin)
'08- Trunev (Rus)
'07- Weber (Swiss), Torp (Swe)
'06- Valentenko (Rus)
'05- Mikus (Slovak)
'03- Christopher Heino-Lindberg (Swe), Korpikari (Fin)
'02- Linhart (Czech), Korneev (Rus)
'01- Jarventie (Fin), Ujcik (Czech)
'00- Johan Eneqvist (Swe), Petr Chvojka (Czech), Joni Puurula (Fin)
'99- Alexander Buturlin (Rus), Vadim Tarasov (Rus), Mikko Hyytia (Fin)
'98- Andre Bashkirov (Rus), Andrei Kruchinin (Rus)
'97- Ilkka Mikkola (Fin), Konstantin Sidulov (Rus), Petr Kubos (Czech), Andrei Sidyakin (Rus), Jarl Ygranes (Nor)
'96- Kim Staal (Swe), Timo Vertala (Fin), Mattia Baldi (Swiss)
'95- Miloslav Guren (Czech), Niklas Anger (Swe)
'94- Marko Kiprusoff (Fin), Arto Kuki (Fin), Peter Strom (Swe), Tomas Vokoun (Czech)

Then add FA's like Mikael Johansson (Swe), Andreas Engqvist (Swe), Janne Lahti (Fin) which also busted.

Obviously the Habs don't seem to be that into the whole Euro homerun swing late round as a Detroit/Toronto but I think their lack of success is more due to preference. A lot of the late round steals from round 7 are Euros/Euro leaguers.

2011 - Ondrej Palat
2010 - Frederik Andersen
2009 - Erik Haula
2008 - Anders Lindback
2007 - Carl Gunnarsson

Last edited:

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Obviously the Habs don't seem to be that into the whole Euro homerun swing late round as a Detroit but I think their lack of success is more due to not scouting there are hard. Usually, the late round steals from round 6/7 are Euros.

We seem to go for Americans with intriguing skillsets that lack hockey sense or footspeed or size. Hopefully we see more Nygren type picks for guys who put it all together later that most. At worst you get a good AHL player for a late round pick instead of our usual not even a contract offer. We haven't struck gold even once in two decades going for a 17 year old with obvious flaws we hope we can fix. Craig Conroy being one of the only successful guys we got from this tactic and even he was 18/19 twenty four years ago. Sean Hill too, drafted in 1988. Seems like this tactic isn't working so great anymore if those are the names that get brought up. :laugh:

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014

I like the way he's using his body. He's just gotta realize that his body is pretty much his main weapon and pretty much manhandle his opponents at his will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->