Line Combos: 2014-15

Status
Not open for further replies.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
2014 Roster
FORWARDS
Milan Michalek ($4.333m) / Jason Spezza ($7.000m) / Ales Hemsky ($5.000m)
Clarke MacArthur ($3.250m) / Kyle Turris ($3.500m) / Bobby Ryan ($5.100m)
Mike Hoffman ($0.726m) / Stephane Da Costa ($0.866m) / Mark Stone ($0.603m)
Colin Greening ($2.650m) / Zack Smith ($1.888m) / Chris Neil ($1.900m)
Jean-Gabriel Pageau ($0.613m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Andy Greene ($3.000m) / Erik Karlsson ($6.500m)
Marc Methot ($3.000m) / Cody Ceci ($0.894m)
Jared Cowen ($3.100m) / Eric Gryba ($0.660m)
Chris Phillips ($2.500m) /
GOALTENDERS
Craig Anderson ($3.188m)
Robin Lehner ($0.851m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,121,916; BONUSES: $745,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $9,978,084

Where is Zibanejad????

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Michalek-Spezza-Hemsky - not ready to throw in the towel on Michalek and he looks invigorated as the other 2 playing together

MacArthur-Turris-Ryan -Ryan healthy and fit should have this line dominating again

Hoffman-Zbad-Stone - Mix of everything and guys who know each other and are young

Melnyk-Smith-Neil - Solid toughness and the LW talks a good game, apparently

Methot-Karlsson
Cowen-Ceci
Gryba-Wiercoch

Phillips rotates/mentors/serves drafts at the Big Rig

No need to rush Lazar.

My first callups would be Peumpel and Prince. DaCosta should be moved and should garner decent interest.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
MacArthur-Turris-Ryan
Ott-Spezza-Hemsky
Hoffman-Zibanejad-Stone
Smith-Da Costa-Neil
32mil

Methot-Karlsson
Cowen-Boyle
Phillips-Ceci
Boro
25.2mil

Anderson
Lehner
5mil

Total 62mil
Boyle 2 years @ 6mil per
Ott 3 years @ 4mil per

This is potentially doable Melnyk wise and realistic free agents.

I like most of this but I think ott and Hoffman should be switched. the idea of da costa dealing with smith and neil is also making me physically ill. if ott cant be signed then I think Clarkson (if bought you) should be signed and playing third line minutes....I dono what it isbut I think that zibanejad excels with Clarkson on his wing bullying players and playing his style of 2 years ago.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I feel like if Greening can turn things around and return to what he was in 11-12 (he's a smart guy) I could see them making use of him next year after letting Milo walk. Outside of finding a left-winger that can bring a physical, defensive presence to the top line I don't think Greening would be bad there with Spezza.

Colin Greening - Jason Spezza - Ales Hemsky
Clarke MacArthur - Kyle Turris - Bobby Ryan
Mike Hoffman - Mika Zibanejad - Mark Stone
Zack Smith - Curtis Lazar - Chris Neil

Otherwise if Mark Stone continues to work on the Turris line they can drop Hemsky altogether (though I'd prefer they didn't) and bump Ryan up to the top line, or maybe trade Ryan for some desperately needed help on defence. Then just bump Lazar up to play with Hoffman/Zibanejad and give someone else a shot on the bottom line with Smith and Neil.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
I like most of this but I think ott and Hoffman should be switched. the idea of da costa dealing with smith and neil is also making me physically ill. if ott cant be signed then I think Clarkson (if bought you) should be signed and playing third line minutes....I dono what it isbut I think that zibanejad excels with Clarkson on his wing bullying players and playing his style of 2 years ago.

Ott will be the net, defensive and physical presence for that line. Let Spezza and Hemsky do all the stuff with the puck.

I have no problem with Smith and Da Costa together but we're stuck with Neil. At least Da Costa will bring some offense to that line.

Clarkson is bad. Greening but with dumb penalties.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
We should go after Alex Edler. Guy looked great playing alongside Karlsson at the Olympics. Have to imagine he could be just as good playing on EK's left side in the NHL.

Classic buy low situation as well. He's had a bad year playing on a team where nearly every key player underachieved. Edler is still a player who can log 23-25 minutes a game, playing in all situations. He's locked up long-term at a stomach-able cap hit, and would be

I don't know what the price would be, but if I'm Murray I'd package Wiercioch with Prince and a 2nd round pick and see if they consider it.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
We should go after Alex Edler. Guy looked great playing alongside Karlsson at the Olympics. Have to imagine he could be just as good playing on EK's left side in the NHL.

Classic buy low situation as well. He's had a bad year playing on a team where nearly every key player underachieved. Edler is still a player who can log 23-25 minutes a game, playing in all situations. He's locked up long-term at a stomach-able cap hit, and would be

I don't know what the price would be, but if I'm Murray I'd package Wiercioch with Prince and a 2nd round pick and see if they consider it.

I imagine the canucks would want to start the conversation with a 1st, but who knows.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Ott will be the net, defensive and physical presence for that line. Let Spezza and Hemsky do all the stuff with the puck.

I have no problem with Smith and Da Costa together but we're stuck with Neil. At least Da Costa will bring some offense to that line.

Clarkson is bad. Greening but with dumb penalties.
Clarkson is a better hockey player than Colin greening lets be real. Would also look into signing Callahan.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Clarkson is a better hockey player than Colin greening lets be real. Would also look into signing Callahan.

Both are 4th line forwards. Difference is Greening doesn't take dumb and untimely penalties; and is better defensively.

Lehner

Jul 2, 2009
Ottawa
Say no to Ott and Clarkson, why do u guys want more GSN players? We complain about them all year and you guys want more..smh

delchief

Jun 10, 2006
Line combos would seem to depend on who's still with the team. Many of the combos presented in this thread seem to assume that this year's results were simply an abberation and that the same personnel will produce different results next season.

I do not accept that assumption. I believe there ought to be significant changes in the leadership structure of the team and the makeup of the roster. If the Sens want a fast team that has the puck more than its opponent and generates more chances against than its opponent then I don't believe the addition of Ales Hemsky alone achieves that result.

Trade Spezza. It makes the most sense. He's got one year left on a contract with a high cap hit but low salary payout. He's over 30. He has a history of back problems. There will never be a better time to trade this player to a contending team looking for a skilled addition to their top six. The player they should have held onto until he retired was Alfie but that shipped sailed last year. So they shouldn't try to make some statement to the fans now about loyalty. Like they unfortunately did with Phillips. Make the move. Get a return like we did for Ryan and move forward.

Let Michalek go. Why would you keep this player? Nice guy who can occasionally contribute. But pushing 30 and not productive enough to justify $4 - $5 mil per year when there are ready replacements available within the organization.

Remove the logjam of mediocre defense. My choice would have been to trade Phillips at the deadline. They went another direction. The keepers are Karlsson, Methot, and..... Ceci, I suppose.......... I like Wiercioch too. Gryba seems like a burly guy capable of 3rd pairing minutes........... and then? It would be soooo nice if Cowen could become the guy they thought they had when they drafted him 9th overall. Phillips? Well, let's just say I don't see how he can help in the leadership department when he's a liability on a 3rd pairing and deserving of healthy-scratch status on a nightly basis.

MacArthur - Turris - _____
Ryan - Zibby - Hemsky
Hoffman - _____ - Stone
____ - Smith - Neil

____ - Karlsson
Methot - Ceci
Cowen - Gryba

Andy/Lehner

Lots of blanks there. Key positions. Some internal options could include Pageau, Condra, Greening, Puempel, Wiercioch, and Borowiecki. Or maybe one/some of these guys are traded. I suppose they might trade for Chris Stewart. Ok. And the return on Spezza should at least include a valid option for a 3rd line center or top-4 defender. So who knows?

This is just the rough structure I'd work with if I were GM. From a best-use-of-assets perspective......

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Say no to Ott and Clarkson, why do u guys want more GSN players? We complain about them all year and you guys want more..smh

Ott is another Zack Smith. Ill take another Zack Smith. And Smith isn't the problem with GSN. Greening and Neil.. and Maclean are the problem with GSN.

Berserker*

Both Ott and Clarkson would be great additions contingent on their contracts. Ott would be good at 2 years $3M or less per. Clarkson got his pay day so if he gets bought out, no one is going to offer him a huge salary after this season, anything less then $3.5 per would be worthwhile.

Greening is the only real issue with the GSN line. Our team is already way too soft and lacks compete level and intensity, that is why the GSN line gets overplayed. It is a matter of compensation. Smith and Neil are great if used in the right roles and the only way they will be used n the right roles is to bring in tough and competitive players so we don't have to give that line so many minutes.

Lehner

Jul 2, 2009
Ottawa
Ott has been worse then Smith or Greening,

2013-2014 BLUES 17 0 2 2 -5 11 0 0 0 21 0.0

Ya lets sign him! How is anyone a minus player on the stacked blues???

Hes so over-rated just like Clarkson was. Both terrible players, do NOT want!

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
X-X-Ryan
Mac-Turris-Stone
X-Zibanejad-X
X-Smith-X

X-Karlsson
Methot-Ceci
Cowen-X

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Ott has been worse then Smith or Greening,

2013-2014 BLUES 17 0 2 2 -5 11 0 0 0 21 0.0

Ya lets sign him! How is anyone a minus player on the stacked blues???

Hes so over-rated just like Clarkson was. Both terrible players, do NOT want!

is ott-smith-Clarkson better than greening smith neil or is that just me?

Jackie Treehorn

Sep 5, 2008
X-X-Ryan
Mac-Turris-Stone
X-Zibanejad-X
X-Smith-X

X-Karlsson
Methot-Ceci
Cowen-X

I think it's time for a changing of the guard. I appreciate
what Spezza, Phillips and Neil have done for the organization
but this is karlsson, Turris and the rest of the young guys team
now.
This organization has some nice depth at center.
Turris, Zbad, and smith. With Pageau and grant to fill in
And Lazar in a year or two.
They could even hang on to Spezza til the deadline, take
advantage of his contract and bump the centers up and use
Pageau on the 4th line.

Just my opinion but this team needs to get a lot faster. Moving
Spezza and Neil is a start

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
I'd much rather see the AHL guys plug up the bottom 6 than Greening or Neil

Jan 24, 2006
Ottawa
I think it's time for a changing of the guard. I appreciate
what Spezza, Phillips and Neil have done for the organization
but this is karlsson, Turris and the rest of the young guys team
now.
This organization has some nice depth at center.
Turris, Zbad, and smith. With Pageau and grant to fill in
And Lazar in a year or two.
They could even hang on to Spezza til the deadline, take
advantage of his contract and bump the centers up and use
Pageau on the 4th line.

Just my opinion but this team needs to get a lot faster. Moving
Spezza and Neil is a start

Grittier and faster. This team doesn't hit as much as they use to. I want a team that goes in the corners banging!! And come out with the puck.

It's up to BM though. No one else has the power to make changes...

dan1el

Oct 16, 2011
Hoffman-Spezza-Hemsky
MacArthur-Turris-Stone
Stewart-Zibanejad-Ryan
Condra-Smith-Neil
Pageau

Methot-Karlsson
Cowen/Phillips-Niskanen
Cowen/Phillips-Ceci
Gryba (Claesson)

Anderson
Lehner

Michalek walks.

Weircoch, Prince, 2nd/3rd for Stewart, and we try and run three first lines. That would be a top nine to be trifled with, especially if Lazar lights up Bingo enough to push Stone or Hoffman down.

Sign Hemsky at 3 years, 5 mil or 4 years, 4 mil. (won't be too upset for anything around this range.)

Sign Niskanen to two or three years at whatever Melnyk is willing to give him, we're nowhere close to the cap and it's going up. Might cause some problems when Spezza/Methot/Ryan/Anderson all need new contracts but I'm confident at least the first two will take a discount.

Bring in some new Assistant coaches who've coached in some defense-crazed Tortorella-esque systems that will teach us to not look like idiots in our own zone. We better hope Cowen takes a big step up next year which I firmly believe he will.

Also, I would like to see the A's on Neil and Phillips go to Turris and Karlsson. It's time to put some faith in the young-uns, and show them that they're our future.

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
Hoffman-Spezza-Hemsky
MacArthur-Turris-Stone
Stewart-Zibanejad-Ryan
Condra-Smith-Neil
Pageau

Methot-Karlsson
Cowen/Phillips-Niskanen
Cowen/Phillips-Ceci
Gryba (Claesson)

Anderson
Lehner

Michalek walks.

Weircoch, Prince, 2nd/3rd for Stewart, and we try and run three first lines. That would be a top nine to be trifled with, especially if Lazar lights up Bingo enough to push Stone or Hoffman down.

Sign Hemsky at 3 years, 5 mil or 4 years, 4 mil. (won't be too upset for anything around this range.)

Sign Niskanen to two or three years at whatever Melnyk is willing to give him, we're nowhere close to the cap and it's going up. Might cause some problems when Spezza/Methot/Ryan/Anderson all need new contracts but I'm confident at least the first two will take a discount.

Bring in some new Assistant coaches who've coached in some defense-crazed Tortorella-esque systems that will teach us to not look like idiots in our own zone. We better hope Cowen takes a big step up next year which I firmly believe he will.

Also, I would like to see the A's on Neil and Phillips go to Turris and Karlsson. It's time to put some faith in the young-uns, and show them that they're our future.

Like the forward group a lot.

Missing Wiercoch on D though. If Niskanen was in the mix:

Methot-Karlsson
Gryba-Niskanen
Weircoch-Ceci
Phillips

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Like the forward group a lot.

Missing Wiercoch on D though. If Niskanen was in the mix:

Methot-Karlsson
Gryba-Niskanen
Weircoch-Ceci
Phillips

He/She traded him for Stewart. Not sure what the fascination is with Stewart. I'm not sold on this guy.

I would be ok with Niskanen, the only issue is that whomever gets him, will have to overpay. Not sure the Sens can do that with you know...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->