Line Combos: 2014-15

Status
Not open for further replies.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
IMO he is already ahead of Puempel & Pageau & I would say Hoffman as well except that Hoffman has a one way contract which hurts Lazar's chances a little. BTW has Hoffman done anything to be noticed yet in the preseason? Just wondering, I haven't seen or heard much about him.

Lazar isn't ahead of Puempel nor Hoffman. They play on other side. If Lazar stays he's playing C or RW. RW more likely. This means Condra and Neil have to sit. Actually I wouldn't mind a 4th line of Puempel - Smith - Lazar. Waive Greening. Keep Neil as extra and play him only in certain games like we did with Kassian last year.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Lazar isn't ahead of Puempel nor Hoffman. They play on other side. If Lazar stays he's playing C or RW. RW more likely. This means Condra and Neil have to sit. Actually I wouldn't mind a 4th line of Puempel - Smith - Lazar. Waive Greening. Keep Neil as extra and play him only in certain games like we did with Kassian last year.

In terms of prospects is what I meant, Lazar is in the conversation of staying more so than Puempel or even Hoffman who has a one way. While it wouldn't surprise me if Lazar took Condra's roster spot, he isn't going to replace Neil, at least not this yr. I would agree that Neil will be the 13th forward at some point maybe even next yr, I doubt it happens this yr though Neil still skates well & gets up & down the ice well & he is still this team's biggest hitter & is the legitimate heavyweight enforcer on this team.

IMO Condra is the guy who is close to getting waived before Greening, we obviously have extreme different opinions on players. I could see Greening getting moved up to play with Legwand & Ryan, if they decide to put Stone with Turris & MacArthur. I don't see a scoring 4th line in the NHL this yr although the game seems to be changing or moving that way. It has changed to have a 3rd scoring line this yr, I remember when the 3rd was an energy line & the 4th was the tough guy line.. The 4th is now considered an energy line where the enforcers & hitters do both but I imagine it will change at some point in the future.

fringie

May 20, 2013
Kanata
I also think Neil, Condra and Greening need to be pushed down the line-up or trade, we need to give young players some spots. Puempel, Lazar with Legwand/Smith would be a lovely third line.

Pageau between Hoffman and Smith on the 4th, keep Neil as the extra guy for toughness. Buddy Robinson should be considered for 4th, and I have not mentioned Stone yet.

Top 2 lines are set: M-T-R; MM-Zib-Chiasson.

Of course, that is assuming all the young guys are up to the challenge, but I can definitely see at some point this season, Greening and Condra would be gone to make room. At the time, we can target a top 4 Right Hand D-man to play with Cowen/Wier.

Also, Claesson should replace Philips, hopefully it is either this or next season.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I also think Neil, Condra and Greening need to be pushed down the line-up or trade, we need to give young players some spots. Puempel, Lazar with Legwand/Smith would be a lovely third line.

Pageau between Hoffman and Smith on the 4th, keep Neil as the extra guy for toughness. Buddy Robinson should be considered for 4th, and I have not mentioned Stone yet.

Top 2 lines are set: M-T-R; MM-Zib-Chiasson.

Of course, that is assuming all the young guys are up to the challenge, but I can definitely see at some point this season, Greening and Condra would be gone to make room. At the time, we can target a top 4 Right Hand D-man to play with Cowen/Wier.

Also, Claesson should replace Philips, hopefully it is either this or next season.

We have a top 4 right shot defenceman in Ceci who showed last yr he can play that position. Why would they trade for one when they have one, they just have to make some room for him. With 8 defencemen fighting for a spot in Ottawa & Claesson in Bingo along with Johnson who has a few hundred NHL games I doubt they trade for a defenceman.

If DaCosta wasn't good enough to play in Ottawa what makes people think the smaller less offensive Pageau will be? While Pageau is good defensively, I would think Ottawa has much bigger options at this point, in fact, I would say Lazar is a better option for them over Pageau. I also want to see Puempel & Hoffman playing against legitimate NHL players for a few games before we give them a roster spot over legitimate NHL players. Greening & Condra are on the 4th line, you can't push them any further down the roster unless you bench them or trade them & so far their are no takers for them, so we read.

Last edited:

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
If we basing off who deserves it and what would be our best bet:

MacArthur-Turris-Ryan
Michalek-Zibanejad-Chiasson
Smith-Legwand-Stone
Grant-Pageau-Lazar

What we will see:

Mac-Turris-Ryan
Hoffman-Legwand-Stone
Greening-Smith-Neil

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I really like the Michalek-Zibanejad- Chiasson line. If they can play like they did today they will succed. Hard on the puck and big guys real hard to play against. Milo and Zibby were tough on the boards and Chiasson is just a hard nosed guy, will get the dirty goals and rebounds.

With what he showed tonight, Ryan has to stay on the top line with top line minutes.
Stone was really having a hard time handling top minutes. He couldnt keep the paste towards the end of the game. Hoffman is a lock to be on the team I really love his speed and he's been putting pucks to the net like never before thats nice to see.

MaCarthur-Turris-Ryan
Hoffman-Legwand-Stone
Greening-Smith-Condra/Neil/Pageau

We have too many forwards! Id like to see Smith on the 3rd line on the right with Hoffman and Legwand but that would leave Stone out of the lineup
I think Greening has is spot in the lineup for the reason that he plays hard and is really big, sure he didnt get his things together last year but he is still a good asset.
Condra is also a good PK guy and really good defensively. It sucks for guys like Pageau, Grant and even Robinson who could maybe make the team but we have too many bodies .. Neil will probably have his share of games and the same for Condra and Pageau

Last edited:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
This is what I think will end up happening at some point probably after Lazar's 9 game stint, if he gets all 9 games. This lineup will disappoint all those who think someone new will make the team this yr. I don't see PM putting two rookies together on the same line like Hoffman & Stone, my guess is they get separated.

1A. MacArthur - Turris - Stone - have played well together
1B. Hoffman - Legwand - Ryan - spread the scoring around & create 3 scoring lines
2. Michalek - Zibanejad - Chiasson - have also played well together
Greening - Z. Smith - Neil/Condra

Methot - Karlsson - IMO Methot should be extended before the start of the yr
Cowen - Ceci - Ceci could start the yr in Bingo until a decision is made on D
Phillips - Gryba/Boro - these two split time
- Wiercioch IMO will likely be shopped around

1. Anderson - 2. Lehner - Lehner should get more games than last yr but still less games than Anderson.

ErikNorrisson

Mar 22, 2012
This is what I think will end up happening at some point probably after Lazar's 9 game stint, if he gets all 9 games. This lineup will disappoint all those who think someone new will make the team this yr. I don't see PM putting two rookies together on the same line like Hoffman & Stone, my guess is they get separated.

1A. MacArthur - Turris - Stone - have played well together
1B. Hoffman - Legwand - Ryan - spread the scoring around & create 3 scoring lines
2. Michalek - Zibanejad - Chiasson - have also played well together
Greening - Z. Smith - Neil/Condra

Methot - Karlsson - IMO Methot should be extended before the start of the yr
Cowen - Ceci - Ceci could start the yr in Bingo until a decision is made on D
Phillips - Gryba/Boro - these two split time
- Wiercioch IMO will likely be shopped around

1. Anderson - 2. Lehner - Lehner should get more games than last yr but still less games than Anderson.

Didn't he put Silf and Zib together on a line?

Othello*

MacArther Turris Ryan
Michalek Zibanajad Stone
Hoffman Legwand Pagaue
Grant Smith Condra
Neil/Greening

Pagaue deserves to be on this team while useless players like Greening and Neil should be traded/scratched

Edit: forgot Chiasson

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Can Robinson fight? If so, he should be a given on this team with that size combined with great speed.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
MacArthur-Turris-Ryan
Smith-Legwand-Stone
Hoffman-Pageau<->Grant
Neil

Unfortunately Greening and Condra will be on the team, forcing Pageau and Grant back to the AHL. :shakehead

Methot-Karlsson
Cowen-Ceci
Wiercioch-Gryba
Boro-Phillips

Hopefully Claesson makes Methot expendable within a few months and Boro looks legit, making Wier tradeable.

Claesson-Karlsson
Cowen-Ceci
Phillips-Boro
Gryba

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
The Hoffman-Smith-Stone line looked very intriguing.

That means Legwand skates with Greening and Neil at the start of the season. (Which was the line in the pre-season game)

It's just my opinion but I don't think Legwand is more than a 3rd line center at this point in his career, more likely the 4th. Which if you look at the lines so far that's where he's heading.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
That means Legwand skates with Greening and Neil at the start of the season. (Which was the line in the pre-season game)

It's just my opinion but I don't think Legwand is more than a 3rd line center at this point in his career, more likely the 4th. Which if you look at the lines so far that's where he's heading.

Ideally,

Robinson/Greening/Puempel/Prince-Legwand-Lazar

BigBush*

Mac-Turris-Ryan
Mickalek-Zib-Chaisson
Smith-Legwand-Lazar/Stone
Greening-Pageau-Condra

Ottawa has a great group of forwards and a chance to roll 4 good lines. The defense on the other hand needs a lot of work...
Insert Niel into the line up when the team needs toughness, but I'm not worried about Ottawa getting pushed around

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
If we basing off who deserves it and what would be our best bet:

MacArthur-Turris-Ryan
Smith-Legwand-Stone
Grant-Pageau-Lazar

What we will see:

Mac-Turris-Ryan
Hoffman-Legwand-Stone
Greening-Smith-Neil

Prince deserves it more the Grant.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013

He put up 50 points last year between 2 teams

BigBush*

Legwand still has a lot left in the tank. There's a better chance that he takes Zibs spot as the #2 centre than moved down to the 4th line

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
He put up 50 points last year between 2 teams

That's great. But he was getting prime minutes in NSH. I don't believe he will be getting that here. Also he ended up playing 4th line in DET. Maybe you noticed he was playing with Greening and Neil so far in camp.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Robinson/Grant > Greening

Lazar/Pageau > Condra

Anyone > Neil

I can't believe Ottawa will let politics and those who have contracts decide who's playing ahead of those who deserve it more. If this was Tampa, Yzerman would have already made moves to accommodate those who deserve it more.

Greening-Smith-Neil should never be a line ever again. Absolutely terrible. As good as Smith is down the middle, there are better options such as Pageau.

Top 2 lines are taken care of.

Smith-Legwand-Lazar
Greening-Pageau-Stone

Should be bottom 6. Both lines serve as 3a/3b lines. No real 4th line needed cause both those lines have excellent defensive players(Smith,Legwand,Lazar,Pageau,Stone) and enough grit through-out(Smith,Lazar,Pageau, Greening(lol))

However, I wouldn't mind sending Lazar down.

Smith-Legwand-Stone
Greening-Pageau-Condra

Meh, Greening-Pag-Condra have done very well before and I love Condra.

I just see zero room for Neil quite frankly and this is without Hoffman getting a spot as well.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Not really a fighter yet. Wouldn't you prefer him to be a power forward... He only needs to find a mean streak.

Note: Puempel didn't fight much either in the OHL (6 in 3 years) but got 8 fights last year in Bingo.

http://dropyourgloves.com/Fights/FightCard.aspx?P=58352&L=9

Yes, yes I would. But it makes it easier to make a case for him getting a spot if he can fight and perhaps deter opposing players from taking runs at our stars.

He also seems semi skilled with great speed.

I'm sure he would work wonder in a line like: Greening-Smith-Robinson

Not that I want to see Greening in the line-up at all, but we akk know he's gonna be there anyway.

Or perhaps move up Smith and use Legwand there.

Mc-Tu-Ry

Lazar-Smith-Stone

Greening-Legwand-Robinson​

C'mon ya'll, a guy named Buddy deserves a spot.

I also like Grant.

And Puempel.

We have too many good players, not enough great.

WhiteLight*

Robinson/Grant > Greening

Lazar/Pageau > Condra

Anyone > Neil

I can't believe Ottawa will let politics and those who have contracts decide who's playing ahead of those who deserve it more. If this was Tampa, Yzerman would have already made moves to accommodate those who deserve it more.

Greening-Smith-Neil should never be a line ever again. Absolutely terrible.

I just see zero room for Neil quite frankly and this is without Hoffman getting a spot as well.

Bingo.

Turris
MacArthur
Ryan
Michalek (don't like him but whatever)
Zibanejad
Chiasson
Legwand
Stone
Smith
Pageau
Lazar/Puempel