Hoffman

Karlsson - Methot
Cowen - Ceci
Wiercioch - Gryba

Phillips
Borowiecki

Anderson
Lehner

Far below average 2nd line IMO. 3 guys who all got Mid 30 PTS last season is weak. Zibby/Chaisson are developing but Michalek better notch 20G's and 25A's or demote him to 4th line duties.

Sorry I don't have tunnel vision like the average poster on this site.

Lol the comedy sitcom continues on these boards. Seeing how you love showing off your great statistics to prove your points why don't you try dividing Michalek's elite 4 years in Ottawa (Discounting lock out year where he only played like 20 games) by the amount of points he has had each year. Oh what's that? 41.5? So 39 is an off year for Sniper 9? Just to let you know playing for an offensive titan such as the Sharks will bolster your stats (i.e. Cheechoo), and now Milan has crash landed in Kanata, Ontario.

As I stated in my original post, I had no beef whatsoever with Chaisson or Z-Bad other than they aren't prove 2nd liners at this point in their young careers. And as I also stated, a 20G 25A is a REASONABLE expectation for Marian Hos.. I mean Milan Michalek.

I have to wonder why a person would continue to defend a point that is clearly baseless. You stated, "Michalek better notch 20G's and 25A's or demote him to 4th line duties". This is the contentious point that is being disagreed with. I merely showed Michalek scored at a top 6 level last season. "20G's and 25A's" is 45 points. 102 players scored 45 or more points last season, and since there are 30 teams, that would be 3.4 players per team on average, or in other words, an average fourth best forward in scoring. Fourth best on a team is not fourth line, and that is a very simple point to understand.

Michalek's history, Ottawa years.

'13-'14 39 points in 82 gms, 180th best forward in the league had 32 points.
'12-'13 14 points in 23 gms, 180th best forward in the league had 18 points.
'11-'12 60 points in 77 gms, 180th best forward in the league had 32 points.
'10-'11 33 points in 66 gms, 180th best forward in the league had 34 points.
'09-'10 34 points in 66 gms, 180th best forward in the league had 33 points.

With the exception of the lockout year when Michalek played in 48% of Ottawa's games, only in '10-'11, did Michalek not finish in the top 180 forwards for the year, and it was by one point. Not a fourth line player. By the way, he only missed the shortened season by four points

So stand by your original point if you want, "Michalek better notch 20G's and 25A's or demote him to 4th line duties" and it will be obvious to all you have, "tunnel vision like the average poster on this site" as you state as well.

Edit: I better add that it isn't just the unrealistic belief that 45 points is a requirement for top6 forward, but also the drop from that unrealistic requirement to hold a top6 spot to the line with the 10th, 11th, and 12th forwards.

Last edited:

Derivation

Jan 4, 2010
I have to wonder why a person would continue to defend a point that is clearly baseless. .

I have to wonder why someone would put so much time and energy to reply to a point that's baseless. Instead of defending yourself you went back on the attack. Back to the original question, is 39 points an off year for Milan, or an average year?

M4TR1X

Dec 1, 2008
Ottawa, Ontario
I have to wonder why someone would put so much time and energy to reply to a point that's baseless. Instead of defending yourself you went back on the attack. Back to the original question, is 39 points an off year for Milan, or an average year?

I would say 39 points is just a bit off for an okay season.

I'm just hoping 9MM can rack up at least 20 goals with at least 50 points.

A little more offense is going to be expected by everyone with the departure of Spezza.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Just a question; why is it that when you try to prove that 39 is an average year, you use pts per season, it seems an obvious attempt to manufacture you're desired result.

The truth is, as a Sen, he has averaged 47 pts per 82 games which is fine for top 6 production. Games where he's injured have no bearing on where he should slot into the lineup when healthy, so using pace is far more informative than raw totals.

I expect he'll put up between 40 and 50 pts this season, provided he reamains relatively healthy, so 39 pts would be on the low side of expectations and probably relativley disapointing though not a disaster.

sensfan25

Dec 1, 2010
Vancouver
Our line up is going to have to win by committee for us to be successful. Rolling 4 lines with a balanced attack. Karlsson on the ice half the game will boost our offense that we are potentially missing from the forwards.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
MacArthur - Turris - Chiasson
Penner - Legwand - Ryan
Michalek - Zibanejad - Stone
Greening - Z. Smith - Neil/Hoffman

Cowen - Karlsson
Wiercioch - Methot
Phillips - Gryba/Boroweicki

Anderson - Lehner

- sign UFA Dustin Penner LW/RW
- trade or waive Condra & give his money to Penner

LudwigVonKarlsson

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Most likely I believe the opening roster is going to look something like this:

Macarthur-Turris-Ryan
Michalek-Zibanjed-Stone
Condra-Legwand-Chiasson
Greening-Smith-Neil

Methot-Karlsson
Weircioch-Cowen
Phillips-Ceci

Anderson
Lehner

Obviously not ideal, but with the questionable moves Paulrus was making last year I don't think any of us should be surprised.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
macarthur - turris - chiasson
hoffman - legwand - ryan
michalek - zibanejad - stone
penner- z. Smith - neil

cowen - karlsson
wiercioch - methot
phillips - gryba/boroweicki

anderson - lehner

- sign ufa dustin penner lw/rw
- trade or waive greening & give his money to penner

ftfy

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I have no idea why I keep hearing that Smith is going to play wing in the top 9. Not what I want to see.

Our top 9 wingers should be (in no particular order);

Ryan
MacArthur
Michalek
Chaisson
Stone
Lazar/Hoffman/puemple

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I have no idea why I keep hearing that Smith is going to play wing in the top 9. Not what I want to see.

Our top 9 wingers should be (in no particular order);

Ryan
MacArthur
Michalek
Chaisson
Stone
Lazar/Hoffman/puemple

Smith adds some physicality that our wingers lack. He has a good shot, and decent wheels. He also adds a second faceoff option to what ever line he ends up on. If he ends up on Legwand's wing, it means having an both a left and right handed option which should improve our chances of winning the draw.

All that said, he should only play wing if none of Lazar, Hoffman, or Puempel show enough to stick with the team. I'd rather focus on improving on his wingers than slot him on the wing, ideal world he can center Lazar and Puempel, bumbping Greening and Neil.

Shanny

Let's Win It All
Jun 12, 2009
Bytown
October 9th Lineup prediction:

MacArthur-Turris-Ryan
Michalek-Zibanejad-Chiasson
Greening-Legwand-Lazar
Hoffman-Smith-Neil
Condra, Pageau

Cowen-Karlsson
Wiercioch-Methot
Phillips-Gryba
Borocop

Andy
Lehner

Ceci, Stone, and Puempel all start the season in Bingo, but at least one of them will be up again by November imo.

Shanny

Let's Win It All
Jun 12, 2009
Bytown
I would be pretty enraged if this would happen. No way Condra and Gryba are taking Stone and Ceci's roster spot, I refuse to accept it.

It has more to do with Lazar likely getting a 9 game audition, not Condra taking Stone's spot, we need Stone playing, not sitting in the press box. Pageau could start the year in Bingo as well and we could include Ceci and carry 8 D instead.

I don't think the club will want to risk losing some of it's depth due to waivers.

Blarginator

Mar 24, 2010
I would be pretty enraged if this would happen. No way Condra and Gryba are taking Stone and Ceci's roster spot, I refuse to accept it.

Ceci played well last year but so did Gryba. It's going to be a tough fight for Ceci to win a spot. I agree that Stone should start in the NHL if he has a good camp.

WhiteLight*

I like Stone and Ceci as much as anyone. They are more skilled.

But Condra and Gryba make more of their limited skills. They're more seasoned and better defensively. So Stone and Ceci shouldn't necessarily be taking their spots....

that said Ceci and Stone belong in the NHL right now to develop. And there is/should be room on the team for all 4 players.

BigBush*

MacArthur-Turris-Ryan
Greening-Legwand-Lazar
Hoffman-Smith-Neil
Condra, Pageau

Cowen-Karlsson
Wiercioch-Methot
Phillips-Gryba
Borocop

Andy
Lehner

Ceci, Stone, and Puempel all start the season in Bingo, but at least one of them will be up again by November imo.

Very accurate line predictions.
Only question mark will whether Ceci makes the team right out of camp or not.
I think for sure Lazar will get a 9 game try out leading to Stone starting in Binghamton

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

MacArthur-Turris-Ryan
Greening-Legwand-Lazar
Hoffman-Smith-Neil
Condra, Pageau

Cowen-Karlsson
Wiercioch-Methot
Phillips-Gryba
Borocop

Andy
Lehner

While I agree that Lazar will get a 9 game trial, I also think he still ends up back in junior mostly based on the number of one way contracts. I also think that the organization want Stone in the lineup to see how he will do in a full season since he has looked good every game he has played so far.

Regarding your line up I think Legwand will start the yr on the 2nd line & I really like the size on the team this yr. Pageau should also start the yr in Bingo.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
$2.6 mil for a player to be a healthy scratch? This post came from a very dark place.

I see you're trying to play "mirror-mirror" but look at CanadianGuest's post, your statement was fallacious and we addressed it, that's all. Did you know that Michalek has scored 96 goals in 314 games for the Sens? That's right, that's 25 goals every 82 games. He's the 2nd leading Sens goal scorer in the last 5 years behind Spezza (103 goals) (Alfie had 71 goals in 4 years). But yet, you managed to say "demote him to 4th line duties" if he doesn't score 20-25. It's correct to have that kind of expectation, but the 4th line part was ridiculous. Michalek will be a top-9 forward with the Sens for a while, not a grinder.

Sorry if I had to call out your post.

Simply because this poster is trying to change views and make people think a little bit more before making bold statements, trying to have a bit of an empirical methodology to build arguments. Nothing personal, trying to improve the board.

Karlsson2Turris*

MacArthur - Turris - Ryan (20 mins AVG-TOI)
Michalek - Zibanejad - Chiasson(15 Mins AVG-TOI)
Puempel - Legwand - Lazar (15 Mins AVG TOI)
Hoffman - Smith - Stone (10 mins AVG TOI)
Neil( 20 games)
Greening and Condra X, Trade, Waive.

Claesson - Karlsson (30 Mins AVG TOI)
Wiercioch - Ceci (15 Mins AVG TOI)
Cowen - Gryba ( 15 Mins AVG TOI)
Boro - Phillips

Lehner (42 Starts)
Anderson 40 Starts)

- Of course TOI totals will be altered by PP's and primarily PK's..
- 4 rookies in our bottom six, but we are a rebuilding team and the youngest team or top 5 youngest in the league, also 3/6 of them are defensive minded, and 6/6 aren't liabilities.
- Trade Methot for 2015 1st.
-Greening and Condra(Both 28 years old) moving out allows us to be a younger team and grow the core at a similar age. Also who sees us going any where with these two in our line up?

- MoToR is a proven threat
- Line 2, is a average second/above average second line that will provide scoring with a mix of size, speed, and grit.
- 2 rookies playing with a vet these usually work out nicely when tried.
- Hoffman and Stone have chemistry and Smith is a proven scorer when he is given players with hands.

This. Perfect lineup IMO. We could move around Stone/Chiasson/Lazar depending on who is playing well.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
I'm gonna post my line-up for this season according to the what-have-you-done-for-me-lately-rule, after watching one of the split squad games.

MacArthy-Turris-Ryan

Puempel-Zibanejad-Chiasson

Lazar-Legwand-Stone

Michalek-Smith-Robinson

Methot-Karlsson

Cowen-Ceci

Claesson-Wiercioch

Anderson
Lehner

One first line, two second lines and one checking line with offensive upside.

Robinson = 6´5 monster skating like Brian Boitano. Also plays big and with tenacity. That's just too sexy to not have in our line-up.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I honestly think Lazar is going to stick with the team. Every game he plays he seems to be doing the right things. The announcers are even constantly giving him praise.

It is going to be very hard to send him down that is for sure.

Last edited:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I honestly think Lazar is going to stick with the team. Every game he plays he seems to be doing the right things. The announcers are even constantly giving him praise.

It is going to be very hard to send him down that is for sure.

Lazar is getting all the hype in Ottawa just like Nylander is getting all the hype in Toronto the way Kadri did before him. That's what we do on these boards hype up our best prospects. While I doubt Nylander will play in Toronto this yr, it's more likely he plays with the Marlies & be a taxi trip to the ACC.

Lazar on the other hand has a complete game & for a young guy is very good defensively, something coaches love. He also has some offence to his game although at this level I wouldn't expect a lot of offence from the young guy too early. It's the rest of his game that is so far advanced for a 19 yr old & what the coaches appreciate the most. He also has some bulk to him at 210 lbs. & isn't small at 6' so he doesn't get pushed around & uses his bulk to make a lot of hits.

IMO he is already ahead of Puempel & Pageau & I would say Hoffman as well except that Hoffman has a one way contract which hurts Lazar's chances a little. BTW has Hoffman done anything to be noticed yet in the preseason? Just wondering, I haven't seen or heard much about him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->