Line Combos: 2014-15

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiteLight*

If it's not Boyle, has to be someone else.

The D will be a year older, but I don't wanna go into next season hoping the young D step up again. We know how that went this year.

What if Ceci has a sophomore slump?

Then Gryba can fill in. Karlsson, CC and Gryba is fine on the right.

The issue is the left. Methot is a 2nd pair guy. Then you have Phillips, Wiercioch and Cowen who are ????. Well, Phillips is trash. The point is I think the other top 4 D needs to be a left D

WhiteLight*

Trade
Spezza + Ceci + Prince + 2nd
For
Hanzal + Yandle

Re-sign Hemsky

Ryan - Hanzal - Hemsky
Mcarthur - Turris - Stone
Hoffman - ZIbabejad - Lazar
Greening - Smith - Condra/Neil

Methot - Karlsson
Yandle - Gryba
Cowen - Phillips/Wier/Boro

- Karlsson would drive ES play for half the game and then Yandle the other half.

- Thee very good two-way centers and a good 4th line defensive center.

- Wings are full of puck possesion talent and speed for EK and Yandle to hit in transition.

Team would be deadly

I'm one of Hanzal's biggest fans, but just no

The Fuhr*

I'm one of Hanzal's biggest fans, but just no

Hanzal is forced to defend Kopitar, Getzlaf and Thornton (20-25 times a season)

Imagine what he'd do to Bozak and Dasharnais on a regular bases... Not to mention how are they going to stop a 6'6 235 lb monster

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Then Gryba can fill in. Karlsson, CC and Gryba is fine on the right.

The issue is the left. Methot is a 2nd pair guy. Then you have Phillips, Wiercioch and Cowen who are ????. Well, Phillips is trash. The point is I think the other top 4 D needs to be a left D

I'm fine with that, just as long as we get a top 4 D.

Methot-Karlsson
Oduya-Ceci
Cowen-Gryba

Just throwing names out there, lol. Doesn't have to be Boyle or Oduya.

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008
If I ran the team, this is roughly what I'd try to do for next year:

Forwards

??? - Spezza - Hemsky
MacArthur - Turris - Stone
Hoffman - Zibanejad - Ryan
Greening - Smith - Condra
Puempel, Pageau

Puempel shoots left, Pageau shoots right and can play centre, so between those two you're covered for any injuries/extended suckage among forwards.

Waive/trade Neil, waive Kassian.

Unless they can do another MacArthur type signing of some undervalued guy coming from a team whose coach hated him for no reason, I'd like a board warrior who's a good stick checker for Spezza's LW.

Defence

Methot - Karlsson
Wiercioch - Ceci
Claesson - Gryba
Chris Wideman

Depending on how Claesson looks, you could put Wideman in there for some extra puck movement on the 3rd pairing. Wideman also is also insurance for Ceci slumping or regressing somehow.

I'd also be fine with signing a good UFA D-man to replace any of those bottom 3 guys, with emphasis on him being good. No one over 32, and not a pylon like Komisarek or something.

Waive Phillips, trade Cowen.

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008
I'm fine with that, just as long as we get a top 4 D.

Methot-Karlsson
Oduya-Ceci
Cowen-Gryba

Just throwing names out there, lol. Doesn't have to be Boyle or Oduya.

If Oduya is an improvement on Wiercioch at all, it isn't by much. They'd have to pay him more, and then you've got to trade Wier somewhere.

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008

Imagine what he'd do to Bozak and Dasharnais on a regular bases... Not to mention how are they going to stop a 6'6 235 lb monster

That defense is a total nightmare after Karlsson - Methot, and Hanzal takes a lot of minor penalties. Hanzal, Smith and Neil alone would get roughly 120 minor penalties over the whole season. That's just way too much time on the PK.

The Sens already get screwed over with minor penalties, adding yet another guy to the team who the refs penalize for skating near someone is not a good idea.

The Fuhr*

That defense is a total nightmare after Karlsson - Methot, and Hanzal takes a lot of minor penalties. Hanzal, Smith and Neil alone would get roughly 120 minor penalties over the whole season. That's just way too much time on the PK.

The Sens already get screwed over with minor penalties, adding yet another guy to the team who the refs penalize for skating near someone is not a good idea.

The puck possesion of the team would be elite... If the Sens are taking penalties then something is wrong... That team would always have the puck.

Karlsson is elite at moving the puck... Yandle is elite at moving the puck.

The team has some crafty wingers... and then having four very responsible centers... Giving support to the defense...

Hanzal, Turris, Zibanejad, Smith would be every bit as good as Krejci, Bergeron, Soderberg, Kelly playing 200 foot hockey.

Hanzal would also give this team a physically imposing top six player who will smash the opponents top players... He'd make the Sens tougher to play against.

That team would be ****ing sick... Incredible to watch

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008
They're already a possession team and Neil and Smith take 40 minors a year. Hanzal will be no different.

Gryba would be awful playing next to Yandle. He'd be 20 feet behind all the time and completely unable to contribute. They'll only have 4 guys in the play outside their own end. It would be Cowen - Karlsson all over again.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The puck possesion of the team would be elite... If the Sens are taking penalties then something is wrong... That team would always have the puck.

Karlsson is elite at moving the puck... Yandle is elite at moving the puck.

The team has some crafty wingers... and then having four very responsible centers... Giving support to the defense...

Hanzal, Turris, Zibanejad, Smith would be every bit as good as Krejci, Bergeron, Soderberg, Kelly playing 200 foot hockey.

Hanzal would also give this team a physically imposing top six player who will smash the opponents top players... He'd make the Sens tougher to play against.

That team would be ****ing sick... Incredible to watch

I'm not convinced that Hanzal is enough of a legit offensive threat to want on the top line. He's having a career year in that respect, but outside of a hot streak in Oct-Nov, his production has been pedestrian.

If I'm moving Spezza and Ceci, I want a top end 2-way defender back, and Yandle while still great, misses the mark.

The Fuhr*

They're already a possession team and Neil and Smith take 40 minors a year. Hanzal will be no different.

Gryba would be awful playing next to Yandle. He'd be 20 feet behind all the time and completely unable to contribute. They'll only have 4 guys in the play outside their own end. It would be Cowen - Karlsson all over again.

In the cap world you don't go into the season perfect... You have one hole that you fill mid season... I'd upgrade on Gryba then.

Team would be fine for the first half before games got tougher

sens83

Sep 22, 2009
Melbourne, FL
I like Hanzal but is he a 1C? He's only put up 40 points, that's going to be tough to use him to replace an offensive player like Spezza.

The Fuhr*

I like Hanzal but is he a 1C? He's only put up 40 points, that's going to be tough to use him to replace an offensive player like Spezza.

Was Holik a 1C?
When the Ducks won the cup against us go look at how much ice time Pahlsson averaged a game that playoffs... Think he led Duck forwards at ES or was top three

Turris - 25-30G 60-70Pts
Hanzal - 20-25G 50-60Pts (He'd produce more not facing Thornton, Getzlaf and Kopitar 1/4 of season)
Zibanejad - 20G 40Pts (offense improves as he ages)

That's looks solid to me

Caje

Mar 18, 2010
Hanzal is 27, he should be peaking right around now. His career high is 40 points...you don't trade a guy who consistently puts up 70+ points for a 40 point guy no matter how good his defence is.

Someone mentioned it earlier. You don't trade a franchise #1 centre for a #2/3 checking player.

WhiteLight*

I'd trade Spezza for Hanzal straight up because of age, consistency and durability. Wouldn't add anything though. Hanzal is really good but starting to get overrated defensively. I agree though, Turris-Hanzal-Zibanejad-Smith would be a treat

What I wouldn't do is trade Ceci, Prince and a 2nd for Yandle

If I ran the team, this is roughly what I'd try to do for next year:

Forwards

??? - Spezza - Hemsky
MacArthur - Turris - Stone
Hoffman - Zibanejad - Ryan
Greening - Smith - Condra
Puempel, Pageau

Puempel shoots left, Pageau shoots right and can play centre, so between those two you're covered for any injuries/extended suckage among forwards.

Waive/trade Neil, waive Kassian.

Unless they can do another MacArthur type signing of some undervalued guy coming from a team whose coach hated him for no reason, I'd like a board warrior who's a good stick checker for Spezza's LW.

Defence

Methot - Karlsson
Wiercioch - Ceci
Claesson - Gryba
Chris Wideman

Depending on how Claesson looks, you could put Wideman in there for some extra puck movement on the 3rd pairing. Wideman also is also insurance for Ceci slumping or regressing somehow.

I'd also be fine with signing a good UFA D-man to replace any of those bottom 3 guys, with emphasis on him being good. No one over 32, and not a pylon like Komisarek or something.

Waive Phillips, trade Cowen.

Decent. I wonder what Cowen would fetch

SixthSens

RIP Fugu
Dec 5, 2007
Michalek/Hoffman/Puempel*-Spezza-Hemsky
MacArthur-Turris-Ryan
Greening-Zibanejad-Stone
Pageau-Smith-Neil

Methot-Karlsson
Cowen-UFA RHD/Trade
Phillips/Boro-Ceci
Phillips-Boro , Gryba

Anderson
Lehner

*Puempel would have to blow the team away next training camp to even be considered for the team
**Lazar gets the 9 game look, alternating with Pageau on the fourth line
***If we don't retain Michalek, then Greening & Hoffman are interchangeable on the first and third lines

Prattalot

Jan 11, 2009
Winnipeg
1a Stone-Spezza-Hemsky
1b MacArthur-Turris-Ryan
3 Greening-Zibanejad-(local AHL talent aka Hoffman etc)
4 Pageau-Smith-Neil

Methot-Karlsson
Cowen-UFA
Phillips/Boro-Ceci
Gryba

Anderson
Lehner

That's most likely what we've got. IMO given the internal budget we'll plug the winger slot internally as we have cheap options like Hoffman that can role with for now...the biggest issue is the D spot and we'll have to either trade for one (ideally) or over pay and sign a UFA.

I'd be certainly explore the market for Spezza via trade if we could bring in a solid D man in exchange but i'm not sure that'll be possible.

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
Was Holik a 1C?
When the Ducks won the cup against us go look at how much ice time Pahlsson averaged a game that playoffs... Think he led Duck forwards at ES or was top three

Turris - 25-30G 60-70Pts
Hanzal - 20-25G 50-60Pts (He'd produce more not facing Thornton, Getzlaf and Kopitar 1/4 of season)

That's looks solid to me

Pahlsson wasn't the Ducks #1C, really. He was their shutdown C and only got as many minutes as he did because he was constantly paired against our top line.

I think you're also ommitting the fact that the Ducks D backing up Pahlsson >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> our D. We have no Pronger, only a Niedermayer. Hell, we arguably don't even have a Beauchemin.

Obviously, Hanzal is a better player than Pahlsson, but I don't think his D is good enough to make up for the lost offensive production if he were used as our go-to C.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
Not sure what I would do here because there are a few things that I would have done differently.
- I would have acquired a #2 d-man for the right side behind Karlsson early in the season. We still need one.
- I would have used that depth to keep Ceci in the AHL all season.
- I wouldn't have re-signed Phillips.
- I wouldn't be entertaining the idea of re-signing Michalek.
- I'd re-sign Hemsky and would have acquired him a few years ago.

As for some of the thoughts in this thread; I would bank on some of the whipping boys bouncing back next season and in some cases, trying to support them with talent that they may not have had this season.

Was Holik a 1C?

Turris - 25-30G 60-70Pts

That's looks solid to me

He's already getting nearly as much PP time as Spezza, playing way too much in a role for which he is unsuitable. Unless we run a Steve Rucchin like Donut-Line with Ovechkin and P. Kane, he's not scoring 50-60 points.

Last edited:

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
What about trading for Andy Greene in NJ. (main board thread)

They'd be looking apparently for a forward, not interested in picks prospects - sounds like winger is the preference.
He's got 1 year left on his deal, he's 30 years old. plays the LS
I cant say this from my own viewing since i just dont recall his play well enough, but the general consensus seems to be he's a top pairing defenceman on most teams.
Excellent in his own end and has solid offensive ability.
Plays a ton of minutes.

would you trade 1 year of Bobby Ryan for 1 year of Andy Greene in the hope of resigning him?

would you trade Zibanejad for Greene if he had a minimum 4 year deal in hand?

Greene Karlsson
Methot Ceci
Cowen Gryba

Realistically Phillips isnt going anywhere and while you may prefer PW over Cowen and Phillips (as i do) the team doesnt see it that way. Phillips becomes the 6/7th guy.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
2014 Roster
FORWARDS
Milan Michalek ($4.333m) / Jason Spezza ($7.000m) / Ales Hemsky ($5.000m)
Clarke MacArthur ($3.250m) / Kyle Turris ($3.500m) / Bobby Ryan ($5.100m)
Mike Hoffman ($0.726m) / Stephane Da Costa ($0.866m) / Mark Stone ($0.603m)
Colin Greening ($2.650m) / Zack Smith ($1.888m) / Chris Neil ($1.900m)
Jean-Gabriel Pageau ($0.613m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Andy Greene ($3.000m) / Erik Karlsson ($6.500m)
Marc Methot ($3.000m) / Cody Ceci ($0.894m)
Jared Cowen ($3.100m) / Eric Gryba ($0.660m)
Chris Phillips ($2.500m) /
GOALTENDERS
Craig Anderson ($3.188m)
Robin Lehner ($0.851m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,121,916; BONUSES: $745,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $9,978,084

Berserker*

What about trading for Andy Greene in NJ. (main board thread)

They'd be looking apparently for a forward, not interested in picks prospects - sounds like winger is the preference.
He's got 1 year left on his deal, he's 30 years old. plays the LS
I cant say this from my own viewing since i just dont recall his play well enough, but the general consensus seems to be he's a top pairing defenceman on most teams.
Excellent in his own end and has solid offensive ability.
Plays a ton of minutes.

would you trade 1 year of Bobby Ryan for 1 year of Andy Greene in the hope of resigning him?

would you trade Zibanejad for Greene if he had a minimum 4 year deal in hand?

Greene Karlsson
Methot Ceci
Cowen Gryba

Realistically Phillips isnt going anywhere and while you may prefer PW over Cowen and Phillips (as i do) the team doesnt see it that way. Phillips becomes the 6/7th guy.

I definitely wouldn't trade either Zibanejad or Ryan for Andy Greene.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
I think it's a longshot that we retain all the guys currently on the roster, let alone add guys but what I would like to see would be.

Michalek - Spezza - Hemsky
Macarthur - Turris - Ryan
Hoffman - Zibanejad - Stone
Ott - Smith - Neil
Pageau

Methot - Karlsson
Cowen - Ceci
Wiercioch - Gryba
Borowiecki

Anderson
Lehner

That being said, Phillips is going nowhere and neither is Greening (or Condra). I think Pageau could fill Condra's role.

I'd prefer Ott over Greening because he's more of a leader and a better penalty killer.

sens83

Sep 22, 2009
Melbourne, FL
Fair enough im not sure i would either.
Why not though?

The idea is to fix the holes, not to re-create the holes we already fixed....right?

Why would you trade Ryan, unless he's not going to re-sign? One thing that's become abundantly clear since acquiring Hemsky is that this team is in need of skilled top-6 wingers. We actually have a full compliment now, blowing it up isn't exactly going to give me confidence as a fan going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->