Speculation: 2014-15 Stars Trade Talk: v2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
The Hawks would do everything in their power to screw us out of good prospects and watch Seabrook walk knowing he would never sign here.

Spezza wasn't the most correct pickup, but I think Seabrook is a less correct pickup than that.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Seabrook would be a huge massive upgrade for us. I'm not sure I'm comfortable giving up what it would take to get him and watch him leave in a year. I would definitely try to sign him in FA though.

haf

Mar 3, 2008
Seabrook would be a huge massive upgrade for us. I'm not sure I'm comfortable giving up what it would take to get him and watch him leave in a year. I would definitely try to sign him in FA though.

FA is totally different story i agree.

Stars99Lobo37

May 9, 2004
Sec 314 - Richardson

Spot on.

As much as I trust in Nill and am in awe of his speaking, I in no way would want to risk trading what it would take to get him only to potentially see him walk. Too big of a risk.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Spot on.

As much as I trust in Nill and am in awe of his speaking, I in no way would want to risk trading what it would take to get him only to potentially see him walk. Too big of a risk.

Yeah it's pretty much the opposite of Spezza's situation. He was on a bad team and saw a team that appeared(s?) to be on the rise. He improved his situation and chance to win. Seabrook is on one of the best teams in the league and has won a lot over the last few years. He would be coming to a downgrade of a situation.

You're going to have to money whip him to get him to be here for a few years. Just better to wait until he's a FA to do so.

aloonda*

Spot on.

especially to the blackhawk scum

plus, val and honka? um no, not in blackhawk jerseys

David Castillo

Oct 29, 2014
San Antonio, TX
I wouldn't trade Val + Honka for anyone right now. Not Crosby, not Weber, not even Adam Banks.

It has nothing to do with them being better, or having the potential to be better. It's just asset management. Val is coming off an impressive rookie season. He's a massive 6'4 behemoth with speed, and I think people understate his absence on the Seguin and Benn line. He's also 19. Honka is one of the smoothest skaters I've seen on a blue line, is a gifted puck handler and could be more Klingberg than Klingberg. He's also 19.

Trading these two for anyone right now would be risky at best. Trading these two for Seabrook would be galactically stupid. He's not even especially fast, and gets the favorable zone starts (it's Hjalmarsson that gets the tough matchups). No I'm not trying to call Seabrook overrated or anything dumb like that.

Just that people overrate the impact of one player who still has to contend with a system lacking depth, and personnel. For example, who does Seabrook partner with? Goligoski, Daley, or some of the rookies? Klingberg then draws another rookie, or another one of the meandering vets? Seabrook is not even close to being the answer for this team as a real contender.

IF Lindell, Nemeth, Honka, and Klingberg develop into solid NHL players (what a group if they do develop) THEN you go after a big free agent signing. Until then, keep trading your Smiths, Chiassons, Glennies, Morrows, Connautons, and Jokipakkas (this isn't an insult to any of them: they're solid prospects, but also interchangeable when compared to one another as opposed to Ritchie, Ully, Dickinson, Honka, Lindell, etc). Anyway, just thought I'd torture the obvious.

MetalGodAOD*

Yea I'd agree. If we can flip prospects for a proven top pairing D, we need to do it. Prospects are just that. Chiasson was untouchable for a while and he looks like hes going to be a 2nd line winger for his career, nothing amazing. Honka will be a good top 4 option but I doubt he'll be a #1D, which we need desperately.

aloonda*

As opposed to an overvaluing of veterans? Honka and Nichushkin have yet to develop an identity. Let's see what's in these blue chip pinadas before handing them over to some snot nosed runts.

here's a fun idea

go to the other team's board and propose those trades--see what they say then report back

john skull

Jul 1, 2004
New York City
we aren't one player away. We have a young core of Benn, Seguin, Eakin, Rooster, Nuke and Klingon, JJ, Nemeth, Oleksiak, Honka.

I think by this time next year, with the natural development of our youth, we will be one player away. If we somehow get a top 5 pick, then I think we will just be the development of our guys away from contention.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
There is no Stars player or prospect that I wouldn't personally drive to the airport for Crosby.

NukeJukes43

The point still stands that Val + Honka for Seabrook is pretty moronic. Seabrook and Keith are products of eachother, and splitting them up isn't going to make one stronger. We don't "need" Seabrook and it absolutely would be piss poor asset management if you send those 2 off for a guy like him.

Comparing prospects like Chiasson, Honka, and Val is pretty redundant too. Chiasson had his seasons to work his way up the lineup and couldn't hack it. Val did.

ScubaSteve*

I wouldn't trade Val + Honka for anyone right now. Not Crosby, not Weber, not even Adam Banks.

It has nothing to do with them being better, or having the potential to be better. It's just asset management. Val is coming off an impressive rookie season. He's a massive 6'4 behemoth with speed, and I think people understate his absence on the Seguin and Benn line. He's also 19. Honka is one of the smoothest skaters I've seen on a blue line, is a gifted puck handler and could be more Klingberg than Klingberg. He's also 19.

Trading these two for anyone right now would be risky at best. Trading these two for Seabrook would be galactically stupid. He's not even especially fast, and gets the favorable zone starts (it's Hjalmarsson that gets the tough matchups). No I'm not trying to call Seabrook overrated or anything dumb like that.

Just that people overrate the impact of one player who still has to contend with a system lacking depth, and personnel. For example, who does Seabrook partner with? Goligoski, Daley, or some of the rookies? Klingberg then draws another rookie, or another one of the meandering vets? Seabrook is not even close to being the answer for this team as a real contender.

IF Lindell, Nemeth, Honka, and Klingberg develop into solid NHL players (what a group if they do develop) THEN you go after a big free agent signing. Until then, keep trading your Smiths, Chiassons, Glennies, Morrows, Connautons, and Jokipakkas (this isn't an insult to any of them: they're solid prospects, but also interchangeable when compared to one another as opposed to Ritchie, Ully, Dickinson, Honka, Lindell, etc). Anyway, just thought I'd torture the obvious.

Classic HF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad