Speculation: 2014-15 Stars Trade Talk: v2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
what is the magic number of games played where you can pretty much say this is what a player is? 164 is two full seasons. Because of the lockout that's even spread over 3 years. how long is the evaluation period for a guy like dillon who's getting significantly worse by the game. is he niskanen 2.0?

David Castillo

Oct 29, 2014
San Antonio, TX
I still think Dillon is worth having faith in. Awkward stride or not, he skates reasonably well, and if he can be coached into a player who is more stay at home than run away from home, while only pinching sporadically, that's worth having. He's been a better player for more games than he's been awful, and I think two things make him look worse than he is: Jordie Benn, and our goaltending which has a combined save percentage of .880

Not only that, but he'd be hard to trade on his current contract of he gets worse. Besides, if Oleksiak or Jokipakka could take some spots, Dillon-Benn would actually be a solid 3rd pair because their mistakes wouldn't be so magnified. Unfortunately they aren't the only problems.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
I still think Dillon is worth having faith in. Awkward stride or not, he skates reasonably well, and if he can be coached into a player who is more stay at home than run away from home, while only pinching sporadically, that's worth having. He's been a better player for more games than he's been awful, and I think two things make him look worse than he is: Jordie Benn, and our goaltending which has a combined save percentage of .880

Not only that, but he'd be hard to trade on his current contract of he gets worse. Besides, if Oleksiak or Jokipakka could take some spots, Dillon-Benn would actually be a solid 3rd pair because their mistakes wouldn't be so magnified. Unfortunately they aren't the only problems.

Huh? He's be easy to unload with that contract.

Dillon's problem is Ruff's system

DangeRouss

Sep 6, 2014
Bordeaux, Fra
I'm not in the Dillon bashing bandwagon...don't forget his last season...he has solid D materials

I'm surprised you guys don't speak about confidence factor...this is sth like 70-80% of producing in pro hockey

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
Trade Kari. Make Lindback our starter with Campbell as the back-up. There's no way that could go wrong.

David Castillo

Oct 29, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Huh? He's be easy to unload with that contract.

Dillon's problem is Ruff's system

Dillon didn't play half as bad last year as he's played thus far. Ruff's system may be an element (after all, his rookie year was his best), but hardly the sole cause. Goaltending giving us an .880 save percentage, playing with Jordie Benn, and a breakdown in communication with the forwards are components too. For all the finger pointing done at the defense, being 7th worst in the NHL at generating shots per game won't get it done even with two Klingbergs back there.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
My first guess is still an internal replacement to get Dallas back to 7th D, but a pretty interesting low cost add might be Matt Donovan. He's the same age as Kevin Connauton, and he hasn't played a single game this season for the Islanders because of the last second additions of Boychuck and Leddy. Unlike Connauton, there's much less of a chance he'd clear waivers as his history in the AHL and NHL suggests he's a much better player overall.

The reason I would trade Donovan if I was the Isles is you're going to lose him for nothing. He has played very few NHL games, and at the end of this year when he turns 25 years old, he'll be eligible to become a Group 6 UFA.

Connauton may or may not be an attractive option for them because he would be waiver exempt, but he'd only be a throw in for the most part. I think Donovan would cost a mid-round pick with or without Connauton.

Donovan was a 4th round pick for the Isles. He'd for sure be a guy that could push Benn, but so could Jokipakka. He's also a bit undersized.

Ambassador Of Fun

Jun 23, 2010
My first guess is still an internal replacement to get Dallas back to 7th D, but a pretty interesting low cost add might be Matt Donovan. He's the same age as Kevin Connauton, and he hasn't played a single game this season for the Islanders because of the last second additions of Boychuck and Leddy. Unlike Connauton, there's much less of a chance he'd clear waivers as his history in the AHL and NHL suggests he's a much better player overall.

The reason I would trade Donovan if I was the Isles is you're going to lose him for nothing. He has played very few NHL games, and at the end of this year when he turns 25 years old, he'll be eligible to become a Group 6 UFA.

Connauton may or may not be an attractive option for them because he would be waiver exempt, but he'd only be a throw in for the most part. I think Donovan would cost a mid-round pick with or without Connauton.

Donovan was a 4th round pick for the Isles. He'd for sure be a guy that could push Benn, but so could Jokipakka. He's also a bit undersized.

Donovan also played for the Stars Midget AAA team. So there's that.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Damn ... I miscounted. Donovan is essentially 8th on their depth chart. They have 9 D on the active roster with one on IR (Crackner). I would assume Donovan would be ahead of Crackner if all things are equal. Doesn't matter though since Crackner is out for the year.

Also .... the Isles currently have 15 forwards up with 2 on IR. Grabner should be coming off IR any day, and Boulton I haven't seen an update yet other than he tweaked something in practice 8 days ago.

The only two-way contracts they have to send down are Nelson, Strome, and Lee, and I don't think anyone expects those players to be going down. That means they'll have to move or waive someone to get Grabner and Boulton back on the roster.

Looking at their roster the most logical move seems to be dumping Conacher and Donovan.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
What about someone like Marc Staal. Steady, DD with size (6'4)?

Top-4 dependable guy.

Dillon+ oughta get it done.

Just for fun. Trying to kill some time.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Why would Dillon+ get that done?

Dillon + McKenzie for Marc Staal?

You may be right. What do you think it would take?

...again just killing time, so please nobody start dropping eff bombs at me haha.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Dillon + McKenzie?

What do you think it would take?

...again just killing time, so please nobody start dropping eff bombs at me haha.

Not dropping bombs, but my first question is always going to be how does this make sense from the other teams POV. I can't think of one for this, and it's hard to move forward without at least a reasonable explanation about how both sides benefit.

A top team in the East selling for future pieces seems pretty unlikely. They got an upgrade for Callahan when they couldn't sign him by adding. That's the type of deal I'd expect them to make in this case ... or no move at all. I don't think they purposely weaken their team though.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I take back my theory they sit and don't make a move. Even if it's a depth move for the AHL ... they go get a D soon probably. I'm really surprised Connauton was attractive enough to take. Texas is going to be HURTING.

Maybe Dallas will only carry 6 D at home for a while and then only use the extra 7th on long or extended road trips to try and:

A) Save cap space

B) Save TX from playing with a seriously depleted squad.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Not dropping bombs, but my first question is always going to be how does this make sense from the other teams POV. I can't think of one for this, and it's hard to move forward without at least a reasonable explanation about how both sides benefit.

A top team in the East selling for future pieces seems pretty unlikely. They got an upgrade for Callahan when they couldn't sign him by adding. That's the type of deal I'd expect them to make in this case ... or no move at all. I don't think they purposely weaken their team though.

Yeah you're probably right. I have no idea what their needs are at this point. Based on their GA 58 through 18 games vs. our total or 61 through 18 games, their defense is probably struggling and wouldn't want to trade a dependable D in his prime at 27. They've struggled to ice a good offense in the past few years. They typically like to pick up veterans that are past their prime at the deadline and in the offseason.

They probably need a better center than Stepan as their #1. Maybe if you can't resign Spezza you unload him in some type of package for McDonaugh(probably never gonna happen), Staal+, or Girardi+(right shot).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->