Status
Not open for further replies.

beepeearr

@beepeearr
Jan 11, 2006
Lake Worth
Modano classy and respectable?

My god what is happening today.

On the ice, yeah. How often do you remember Modano diving, making cheap shots, or whining at the refs. And when the Stars were acting like idiots, like Ott and Avery, he called out the team for their antics.

I'm not wading into the whole Crosby debate, but I never understand the Modano hate on this board sometimes.

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta
I'm not a Crosby fan, in fact I'd like to punch his azz in the face, but I would take him on my team in a heartbeat.

Even some of the greatest have been called whiners, babies, immature, etc.

Gretzky, Lemieux, Bossy, Roy, Br. Hull, etc. Would you not take any of them? We took one of them towards the tail end of his career and that turned out alright.

Crosby did everything asked of him by Mike Babcock in the Olympics. He could have taken issue with not being force-fed offense and given the reigns, and had he we would have heard about it, but he didn't.

I agree with the sentiment about character and all that, 100% I do, but a little bit of "whining" here and there (also Gretzky's flaw earlier in his career) is worth taking on considering all the good that comes with a guy like Crosby.

I don't like him, but if he's winning games for us I would learn to.

Modano = Class, sportsmanship, etc etc.

David Castillo

Oct 29, 2014
San Antonio, TX
I'm not a Crosby fan, in fact I'd like to punch his azz in the face, but I would take him on my team in a heartbeat.

Even some of the greatest have been called whiners, babies, immature, etc.

Gretzky, Lemieux, Bossy, Roy, Br. Hull, etc. Would you not take any of them? We took one of them towards the tail end of his career and that turned out alright.

Crosby did everything asked of him by Mike Babcock in the Olympics. He could have taken issue with not being force-fed offense and given the reigns, and had he we would have heard about it, but he didn't.

I agree with the sentiment about character and all that, 100% I do, but a little bit of "whining" here and there (also Gretzky's flaw earlier in his career) is worth taking on considering all the good that comes with a guy like Crosby.

I don't like him, but if he's winning games for us I would learn to.

Modano = Class, sportsmanship, etc etc.

Agreed. In fact, I'd argue there's a correlation.

We shouldn't expect the behavior of elite talents off the 'field/ice' to inform their behavior on it. These players are obsessive compulsives. Anybody who dedicates so much of their lives to a craft to have little time for anything else will never be as civilized as the rest of us.

Not saying all are like that. Or that it's justified. I'm just a fan. I'll never know who is secretly a nice guy, or who is secretly a complete *********. As a fan all I can really do is concern myself less with the conditions of success, and more about the existence of it.

ScubaSteve*

Character doesn't matter. I would take a defense corp of six Slava Voynovs if it delivered a Stanley Cup.

David Castillo

Oct 29, 2014
San Antonio, TX
It'd be hard for Voynov to deliver a Stanley Cup from jail. Character matters less within a spectrum when it comes to off ice behavior. At the extremes, you have to make a choice. A wife beating piece of **** barely worth the DNA he's been copied from obviously crosses that line.

ScubaSteve*

Didn't Zubov smack his wife around a little bit? And Belfour was a drunk and an all around delinquent. I don't seem to remember anybody taking a moral stand against the 99 Cup team.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Didn't Zubov smack his wife around a little bit? And Belfour was a drunk and an all around delinquent. I don't seem to remember anybody taking a moral stand against the 99 Cup team.

The team wasn't built around Belfour. It was built around Modano. Every team has a ***** or two. Garbutt for example, but you don't want your franchise player to be that guy. Young players follow the example of the franchise player and it can poison the well if you have the wrong example to follow.

aloonda*

this thread is going into stupid world

what do we have of value

what do we need?

who has what we need?

who needs what we have?

let's focus on that?

StarsTx

Nov 9, 2014
So trade proposals for guys that might actually be traded in the next few seasons, anyone?

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Some Habs fans are down for Allen + 2nd + prospect for Daley, if it is a good wing prospect I say go for it.

Alistar

Jul 9, 2006
Some Habs fans are down for Allen + 2nd + prospect for Daley, if it is a good wing prospect I say go for it.

Bryan Allen is a pretty terrible player. I'm sure they'd like to send us back Gonchar too if it could be done.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Bryan Allen is a pretty terrible player. I'm sure they'd like to send us back Gonchar too if it could be done.

I know he doesn't have any value, but we will need a defenseman to replace Daley if he gets moved, and his deal is up in the summer. If taking Allen back gets us a better prospect I am all for it.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
the pen's have the de the star's need. the star's have the wings the pen's need. lets get it done. the older guys martin, and ehrhoff..... both urf...you can keep them till the trade dead line if you like what they bring ...sign them...if not flip at the dead line or let them walk. young guy that can play now dumoulin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->