2014-15 Season - I might be there!

newjerseydamo

May 15, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
www.puck-mad.com
Hey all from across the water!

Whilst I like my vacations to the USA and seeing sports, I have always entertained the notion of moving to the USA.
Obviously this has restrictions and it isn't that easy.

However! I have kept my eye on the Australian Embassy website for job vacancies, and one has appeared that I am applying for!
I already work for the Australian Government, so I hope it helps my application.
What it would mean is at a minimum, a 12 month contract from July 2014 to July 2015, working in the Australian Embassy in Washington, D.C.

Whilst it isn't New York or New Jersey, it is a stepping stone for me, it provides a possibility of extension, and maybe open other doors for me, and being only 3 1/2 hours to the Prudential Center, I most certainly could not only see the Devils play in DC, but make weekend trips up to weekend games.

It isn't all definite as I have only applied for the job, but I should know a lot more in 4 weeks or so.

It's all exciting and scary at the same time, but I love the challenge and would be an amazing life experience!

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
That's cool, good luck with the application!

Was just watching the Rip Curl Pro at Bells Beach. I'd love to take a surf trip to Australia one day.

CHIP72

Mar 16, 2013
Silver Spring, MD
Good luck to you on your job application. I currently live in the DC area, and I can tell you that you most definitely should not have any problems attending Devils games in DC or in nearby NHL markets outside of DC, including Newark. The Verizon Center, the Capitals' home arena, is very accessible via public transit. It is located right above one of the major Metro (subway) stations in the system (that station serves 3 lines) and is within walking distance of two other stations (including one that serves the other 2 lines in the DC Metrorail system). Various bus lines also stop at or near the Verizon Center.

As for Devils games outside of DC, the easiest places to get to are Philadelphia (Flyers), New York (Rangers), and Devils home games themselves in Newark. Here's a breakdown:

*Newark (Devils home games): Amtrak, BoltBus, and Greyhound all provide fairly frequent public transit service between Washington Union Station and Newark Penn Station. Newark Penn is within walking distance of the Prudential Center. Amtrak is your fastest option, while BoltBus is your cheapest option (and the latter is only viable for traveling to Newark for non-weekend afternoon games or roundtrip for weekend afternoon games). Flying between DC National Airport and Newark International Airport and using transit or taxis at both ends is also a viable option. Because of the generally heavy traffic on I-95 between DC and Newark and the very high number and cost of tolls (Baltimore tunnels, Susquehanna River bridge, Delaware tolls, NJ Turnpike tolls), driving is not advised.

*Philadelphia (Flyers): Driving is a much more viable option to Philadelphia than it is to Newark or New York; depending on where in the DC area you are driving from and when you are driving. the trip will likely take 2-3 hours. Using public transit, specifically Amtrak, Megabus, or Greyhound, is also a viable option. (Some other, smaller intercity bus providers are also options.) If you use public transit, you'll need to use the SEPTA Market-Frankford and Broad Street subway lines from 30th Street Station (Amtrak, Megabus) just outside of Center City Philadelphia or the Greyhound Terminal (Greyhound) in Center City Philadelphia to get to the Wells Fargo Center. (SEPTA is the transit provider in the Philadelphia area in Pennsylvania.) The transit connections are not hard. Flying is also an option between DC National and Philadelphia International, though because of the short distance that isn't advised.

*New York (Rangers): Amtrak, BoltBus, Megabus, and Greyhound, as well as some other intercity bus providers, all provide frequent service between DC and NYC. They all also have NYC stops at or within walking distance of Madison Square Garden, the Rangers' home arena. Both Amtrak and BoltBus stop at or outside of New York Penn Station, which is literally located directly below Madison Square Garden. Greyhound stops at the Port Authority Bus Terminal, which is located about 9 (short) blocks north of Penn Station. Megabus stops at a point between 11th and 12th Avenues on 34th Street, about 3 1/2 long blocks and 2 short blocks from Penn Station. Flying is an option but not advised; the NYC airports generally aren't close enough to Madison Square Garden to make the trip straightforward and time convenient. Driving is strongly not advised.

In addition to the teams listed above, Devils road games against teams like the Islanders (via flying and/or public transit and then taxis), Pittsburgh (driving, maybe flying), Boston (flying), and Carolina (driving or flying) are doable as weekend trips. (Some other, further away teams are also viable via flying.)

Last edited:

Status Quo*

Good luck!!! Always cool to see your favorite team basically whenever you want and I hope you get this!

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Good luck to you! Hope it all works out!:handclap:

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I'm going to,use some reverse actions here based on my recent luck.
Every time I watch a devils game and cheer my arse off , they lose.
I "cheer" :( for Flyers to beat the Rags , and they lose.
More or less 99% of the time teams I cheer for lose .

So going off of that , I'm going to try to reverse it and hopefully it will work out.

I am going to cheer that you do not get the job and that I am cheering for someone else to get the position instead of,you :sarcasm:

Excited for you , good luck !

EliasFTW

Jan 27, 2009
Utica, NY
I was set to come in here saying "good riddance take all the fair weather fans that Kovy brought too" but then i read the first post. Good luck.

CHIP72

Mar 16, 2013
Silver Spring, MD
Hey Damo - I saw you posted on the city-data.com forums (which is a site I was going to recommend to you but you beat me to it) and I responded to your post there. Your biggest challenge is going to be your housing budget.

BTW, if you do get the job, I can tell you there are always a decent number of Devils fans at Devils/Capitals games in DC (probably about 10-15% of the crowd). Of course, there are a decent number of fans rooting for the road team, especially for teams based in the Northeast and Midwest U.S., for any pro sports event in DC. I was at a Phillies/Nationals game in DC back in 2011 that had a sellout crowd (44K fans) and literally 80% of the crowd was Phillies fans. I'm not exaggerating.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad