Salary Cap: 2014-15 Roster-building Thread XX : JR: No wingers needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael8771*

They're guaranteed to lose Vermette, so Sutter would have to be part of any deal for Boedker.

Again, not happening, but man it would be nice.
TBH If I was getting Vermette I'd have no issue with parting with Sutter. Although having a RH center is a nice option.

I don't however see a trade centering around Sutter or Vermette necessarily having to include Boedker. Well, unless we really want to go for a blockbuster.

Maybe Sutter, KK, Spaling and Dumoulin for Boedker, Vermette and Michalek. With the Yotes taking salary back.

Beaunett

Dec 29, 2014
North
It depends on what you mean by "top 4." Personally, if they are gonna look for a dman, a #4 guy is fine. They have Letang and Ehrhoff as their big horses. They got Despres on the 2nd pairing. They need another like "akin" to Despres. A solid but not spectacular guy who can eat up 16-19 minutes. Im at a loss for whom that would be at the moment but it doesnt need to be a $5mil guy.

Oh for sure. My post was overly negative and it shouldnt have been. There ARE some games where they play absolutely stellar defensively and look soooo ridiculously good. Problem is, lately, they have been few and far between.

Injuries are absolutely playing a part. You cant expect a "solid game" from hot garbage (read: Adams, Craig). But its even the other guys that are supposed to be better. Sid, before the last few games, looked so .. meh, for about a month. Not bad. Just so .. not Sid. Average. We expect better from him and I know he expects better from himself. Just using that as a random example. Just too many breakdowns too often at the wrong times.

The team on paper is pretty damn solid. I have complete faith in the skill on the team. Its just taking it from the brain and putting it on the ice. Seems to be challenging recently.

You're right, and yeah I meant a #4D. I agree with everything you've said. I don't either of Zidlicky and Salvador wouldn't be bad as #4D's right?

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
In all seriousness, Michalek and Boedker coming back in exchange for a cap dump and some younger players to aid in their rebuild could be interesting.

Michalek (@ a % retained that is cap workable) + Boedker

for

Scuderi (dump) + choice of Pouliot or Harrington + pick

Perron-Sid-Horn
Bod-Malkin-Bennett
Kunitz-Sutter-Downie
Comeau-Goc-Spaling

Letang-Martin
Ehrhoff-Michalek
Despres-XXXXX

I think you'd have to move either Kunitz (ideal - although unrealistic) or both KK and DP for this. Unless you're talking about the 2016 1st.

Beaunett

Dec 29, 2014
North
Perhaps we could get Tim Erixon or David Rundblad. Two guys who've had bad starts to their careers; wrong place & wrong time scenarios where the team wouldn't give them the starting push to their careers. I think Erixon would be a solid acquistion as well Rundblad although he's an OFD maybe he can adjust to a TWD. It would have been nice if we signed Stralman.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
i don't think suggesting a UFA rental Dman who shouldn't cost much to acquire is akin to what Shero did to this team.

I mentioned Michalek because 1) he fits that description 2) He supposedly liked the city, the players know him, it wouldn't be totally new surroundings for him 3) he's a righty, which they need 4) I think he's a good player 5) I don't think it would take more than a mid-round pick to acquire him.

Mid round... you mean like a 2nd, a prospect and likely Spaling for cap reasons?

Beaunett

Dec 29, 2014
North
Vermette is also getting a 1st rounder.

Vermette's worth a decent spec & a late 2nd or 3rd.

Dumoulin
2016 2nd

for

Vermette

That would mean we have to trade Sutter, which is a bad thing or good thing. Just make sure he goes West, so we don't play him.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Agreed, he has been less bad this year and the coaching staff has put him in places to success. I'd be OK with the defense being this next year.

Despres Letang
Maatta Harrington
Scuderi Pouliot
Bortuzzo Dumo

Zero reason to rush Pouliot. Give Dumoulin his spot and like DP come up for injuries. And if the team is committed to Scuderi, then it's time to move Bortuzzo. Because neither belong (at this point in time) in the top 4, and they can't play together on the 3rd line.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I'd even go for Vermette who's cheaper. I think the main priority is acquiring a top four defenseman, so we can force Bortz or Scuderi out of the lineup.

Cheaper than who? Broedker we can resign. Yes he's a UFA after his next deal (which carries a risk), but at least he's here for more than 1 season. Vermette, we will almost certainly not be able to resign. He's a very good #2C, and will be highly sought after. He's not going to want to be our #3C, and he won't get paid nearly as much to play as a top 6 winger here as he will by someone needing a top 6 center.

Giant Yankee Pens

May 17, 2010
Zero reason to rush Pouliot. Give Dumoulin his spot and like DP come up for injuries. And if the team is committed to Scuderi, then it's time to move Bortuzzo. Because neither belong (at this point in time) in the top 4, and they can't play together on the 3rd line.

Fair enough. Tho I don't mind Bort being a #7 for some experienced depth. Hopefully he starts playing better too. Dumo I'm fine with on the third pairing too. But I'd give Pouliot a fair chance to take it for sure.

Beaunett

Dec 29, 2014
North
Cheaper than who? Broedker we can resign. Yes he's a UFA after his next deal (which carries a risk), but at least he's here for more than 1 season. Vermette, we will almost certainly not be able to resign. He's a very good #2C, and will be highly sought after. He's not going to want to be our #3C, and he won't get paid nearly as much to play as a top 6 winger here as he will by someone needing a top 6 center.

Boedker's not coming easy, he's like 25. We asked about Hanzal on the main boards and the price was too high & Boedker wouldn't be any different.

Both fanbases on the main board offered Z. Michalek for 3rd. Heh.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Vermette's worth a decent spec & a late 2nd or 3rd.

Dumoulin
2016 2nd

for

Vermette

That would mean we have to trade Sutter, which is a bad thing or good thing. Just make sure he goes West, so we don't play him.

Teams like Chicago, Nashville, etc. will offer a way better deal for him. If Perron just went for a 1st and a decent fourth liner, Vermette who is an okay # 2 and fantastic # 3 who can play power play, PK, and put up good points will definitely get more. Regardless of the fact that Perron had one more year in term.

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008
Maybe i'm being a homer but I think if this team had Maataa and Dupuis healthy, they would have the best roster in the league. Isn't there a slight chance they could both come back for the Stanley Cup Final? That would be about six months away.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Boedker's not coming easy, he's like 25. We asked about Hanzal on the main boards and the price was too high & Boedker wouldn't be any different.

The difference is Hanzal is signed for (IIRC) 2 more seasons, and is a big sound defensively center. While Boedker is a RFA this summer, he's also a UFA after his next deal. So 25 or not, if he's not willing to sign a long term deal this summer (and after hearing of a "rebuild" he may not be), they have to move him, and will get more value by doing so now, then as a pending FA next summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad