Salary Cap: 2014-15 Roster-building Thread XVI : The Road (to the Infirmary)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
If Hemsky continues a poor year in Dallas would you swap him for Spaling in Summer 2015? Hemsky would have 2 years left @ 4 million.

Would have to be Scuderi. If I'm going to take the risk of paying him 4m for 2 seasons, I'd want to be giving up Scuderi from the blueline to at least move a similar contract, and address a need (D for F).

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
So a 53 point player is a good scoring line forward then (he's also on pace for 47 this year and 50 over his career btw)? Why can't Chiasson develop from a 40 point player (where he is now) to a 53 point player? And again, skating issues haven't stopped other players from becoming legit scoring line wingers in the past. At least production wise, there isn't a significant gap between Kane and Chiasson right now. Does the extra 7-13 point pace make the difference between a tweener and a good scoring line forward?

I just really can't understand your beef with Chiasson here. That's what I'm trying to find out. Let's forget about Harrington here for a minute.

Chiasson is not a 40 point player...he has a career-high 35 points. Kane is younger and has a career-high 57...in 5 fewer games. He hasn't been on pace for less than 53 over the last 3 years.

Kane also doesn't have any fundamental question marks like skating which could hamper his ability to produce.

The two really aren't comparable, VM. I don't have a beef with him, I think he's a solid young player. He's just not the calibre of player I want to spend one of our good young defense prospects on. I want a scoring winger.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Kunitz for Semin at 50%
Sutter for Perron
Spaling for Hemsky
Claim Roy

How would that look when all healthy?

Not enough grit. I'd only want one of Hemsky/Semin - and would much prefer Hemsky due to the shorter contract.

penguins2946*

Chiasson is not a 40 point player...he has a career-high 35 points. Kane is younger and has a career-high 57...in 5 fewer games. He hasn't been on pace for less than 53 over the last 3 years.

Bolded: Over his career, he has been on pace for 18 goals and 40 points. He was on pace for 37 last year and he's on pace for 38 this year. He's also only in his 2nd season in the NHL.
Underlined: He hit 57 once, and his production has been declining ever since. Over his career, he has been a 25 goal, 50 point winger by his pace. In the last 2 years, when Chiasson has played in the NHL, Kane has been on a pace of 23 goals and 52 points. The difference of 5 goals and 12 points really isn't significant.

The fact that Kane, after 5 seasons in the NHL, is only out producing Chiasson, after 1 season in the NHL, by a 9 point pace this year should either speak pretty poorly on Kane or it should say that Chiasson isn't too terribly far off from Kane.

Kane also doesn't have any fundamental question marks like skating which could hamper his ability to produce.

The two really aren't comparable, VM.

Kane has perceived attitude issues, which are a lot harder to fix than skating issues. And again, poor to mediocre skating didn't prevent Neal from producing. Chiasson is also bigger than Kane. I just don't understand why you think Chiasson can't develop to score 5 more goals and 10 more points to become a good scoring winger.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Not a problem but if Ehrhoff was re-signed for 3 years then I think we'd have to move Pouliot.

Not at all. Leave him in the minors for another year or two. Once there's an overwhelming demand to have Pouliot or Harrington in the top 4, trade Ehrhoff. But you could just as easily run with the below like we did when we had Gogo. I honestly do not understand this idea that we "have to move" anyone. There's some players we should move, and others we'd like to move... but to think that one of those players is a 20 yr old D with huge upside is frankly, stupid.

Maatta - Letang
Ehrhoff - Despres
Harrington - Pouliot

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
VM are you really trying to argue that chiasson is close to the player that Kane is? I mean really?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad