Prospect Info: 2014-15 (pt. 2): Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Juniors, Int'l, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Talent can only take you so far. The guys that are smart and can process things quickly and make the right plays under pressure rise to the top. Look at Giroux. Not the biggest, the fastest, or the strongest, but he sees things the average guy doesn't. He knows where to be and he knows where everyone is on the ice before he even touches the puck. Sanheim is that kind of player. Unlike Giroux though, he's 6'3 so if he can fill out without losing his mobility, he could be special.

denominator

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2012
Fort St John
The reason that Sanheim "came out of nowhere" was that he was never touted at a top bantam-pick and hyped well ahead of his development.

In the 2011 WHL bantam draft, Fleury was a second round pick while Sanheim was a ninth round pick (this again shows the crapshoot nature of the bantam draft).

As a 15 year old, in 11/12, Fleury played 4 games and Sanheim played 0.

As a 16 year old, in 12/13, Fleury played 66 games and Sanheim played 0.

As a 17 year old, in 13/14, Fleury played 70 games and Sanheim played 67.

At the time of draft, Fleury had 140 games of WHL experience to Sanheim's 67. THIS is the main reason he continually projected behind Fleury - scouts hadn't seen him as much. If you look at the developmental arc, Sanheim is a season behind. Considering he was about equal to Fleury at the draft, it's not a big surprise that he has shown exponential growth in his second WHL season.

The Hitmen have always been a longer developmental arc team than other WHL teams. With the rare exception of top talent like Bean or Virtanen (1st overall in the bantam draft), players rarely come in as a 16 year old and play the whole season.

However, Calgary consistently puts together a better team than Red Deer. Which means that Sanheim is typically going to ice a better team than Red Deer and there may be a teammate effect going on between Sanheim and Fleury. Thus, let's contrast another WHL defencemen in the same draft class: Ben Thomas.

[Elite Prospects claims he played 0 games as a 16 year old, but I distinctly remember seeing him in the 12/13 season and being very impressed. I would estimate he played about 5-10 games in that season.]

Thomas was drafted in the 3rd round of the same 2011 bantam draft, played a few games as a 16 year old, and was initially ranked higher than Sanheim for the 2014 NHL draft. In fact, for the 2014 NHL/CHL top prospects game, Ben Thomas was given the "home-town" spot when the team was named in mid-November (Fleury also played in this game, while Sanheim did not). By the time the game rolled around in mid-January, it was clear that Thomas was out of his league and Sanheim was an oversight.

This is Sanheim's second career WHL goal:

http://www.hitmenhockey.com/video/35241

from just after Christmas last season (January 2, 2014). His footwork over the Christmas break improved astronomically, and it's paying dividends now as his best attribute is his ability to move around while making plays, or being mobile to create plays. It was as though the rest of the team sat and ate over the holidays and he just went and learned to skate. From that goal onwards, it was all about moving up the draft rankings for Sanheim.

I don't know how it will translate to the NHL level, but he is absolutely great moving laterally at the blueline with the puck - both left to right AND right to left. I've never seen a defenceman, even at the WHL level, be able to do it both ways like this before.

As the play that was GIF'ed above (too far back to quote) - it shows how great his mobility is. He's never making the play standing still, and always creating options by moving around. It also shows his passing, which is always phenomenal. I know I'm biased, but I think there is a very high probability that Sanheim is the second best defenceman to come out of the 2014 draft (hard to argue against Ekblad).

Mayo Masseuse

Tinariwen Riddum
May 16, 2010
The Dunes of Neptune
Talent can only take you so far. The guys that are smart and can process things quickly and make the right plays under pressure rise to the top. Look at Giroux. Not the biggest, the fastest, or the strongest, but he sees things the average guy doesn't. He knows where to be and he knows where everyone is on the ice before he even touches the puck. Sanheim is that kind of player. Unlike Giroux though, he's 6'3 so if he can fill out without losing his mobility, he could be special.

Uhh, so talent?

Fragmuffin

Aug 20, 2013
Zagreb
Exactly, positioning, playing smart without the puck, reading the play, anticipation-> i'd separate it from talent... and thats mostly because all that stuff can be learned. Heck, I played a whole lot of sports when I was younger, and since I was constantly picking up new ones I really had to rely on textbook studying and analysis of the game in order to keep up with more talented and skilled kids. Not to mention I was slow footed as ****

Mayo Masseuse

Tinariwen Riddum
May 16, 2010
The Dunes of Neptune
Uhh physical talent vs. mental capacity. You can have one without the other (See: Coburn,Braydon).

Right, but you said talent can only take you so far.
What if that person was also talented in the mental realm? Like a talent for quick decision making, etc...
Talent is essentially an aptitude for something.

You stated "The guys that are smart and can process things quickly and make the right plays under pressure rise to the top"
Sure you can coach this to degree. But you worded it in a way to suggest guys that already have this innately. That would be an aptitude for something, ergo, talent.

I was just being pedantic. Don't mean to argue. :)

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Right, but you said talent can only take you so far.
What if that person was also talented in the mental realm? Like a talent for quick decision making, etc...
Talent is essentially an aptitude for something.

You stated "The guys that are smart and can process things quickly and make the right plays under pressure rise to the top"
Sure you can coach this to degree. But you worded it in a way to suggest guys that already have this innately. That would be an aptitude for something, ergo, talent.

I was just being pedantic. Don't mean to argue. :)
I was eluding to physical talent. The things that are easily identifiable when scouting a player. I used an old sports cliche "talent can only take you so far" to try to point out that you need more than just physical talent to be a good player. I will try to avoid using cliches in the future as some take them too literally. My fault.

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Has anyone seen Friedman play?
He's 19, which is a little older, but only a freshman in college and putting up some nice numbers.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
I'm not surprised by Sanheim's climb simply because what seemed special about him was his mobility and ability to make/read plays with the puck. It was obvious he had some physical maturity coming to him, but that stuff happens naturally. Having that level of hockey IQ and wheels at as young as he was is as promising as any quality you can see from a prospect. Reading about him and watching clips of him I have had a similar feeling Giroux gave when he was first being given his NHL shot in his first couple seasons. He wasn't high profile per se, but you could see the special talents he had and it was very reassuring of his quality as a player. That's why I'm more hyped for Sanheim then any of our other prospects at the moment.

I was eluding to physical talent. The things that are easily identifiable when scouting a player. I used an old sports cliche "talent can only take you so far" to try to point out that you need more than just physical talent to be a good player. I will try to avoid using cliches in the future as some take them too literally. My fault.

Well, you didn't say "physical" originally. Thus the confusion.

flyers120

Feb 26, 2015
Has anyone seen Friedman play?
He's 19, which is a little older, but only a freshman in college and putting up some nice numbers.

My son goes to BGSU and I asked him to watch Freidman when he goes to games. He says he is the fastest player on the team and has very good shot from the point. His team works out with the hockey team and he his a big strong kid. He started out slow as he got adjusted as a freshman but his play has gotten better as the year has gone on. He has a Christmas birthday so he just turned 19.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Thanks. Nice wildcard to have in the system, let him mature in college and save a spot on the roster until he's ready for the AHL.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
He's a good passer, just needs to be more consistent. Hell make a pass like that and miss a gimme. It will come I believe.

He didn't play as much as he usually does with the game out of hand and Rimouski dressing 7 defensemen. I'm sure he'll get the Ehlers/Meier match up on Sunday. Should be fun.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Aube-Kubel scored 31st goal of the year tonight.
Same spot on the ice every time. This kid's hand-eye coordination is incredible. He's shooting in to wide open nets. Can't find PP percentages for the Q, but Val d'Or's PP is something to watch. So much movement. They cycle the puck like crazy.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Same spot on the ice every time. This kid's hand-eye coordination is incredible. He's shooting in to wide open nets. Can't find PP percentages for the Q, but Val d'Or's PP is something to watch. So much movement. They cycle the puck like crazy.

Yeah I'm certainly intrigued to see him again in camp this summer, should get more of a look than last year.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Val d'Or returns pretty much their whole team next year too. Should be a big year for them if they get some bodies on the back end.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia

I watched Sanheim in Portland a couple of nights ago, and his play supported what you're saying here. Aside from one ugly giveaway he really didn't do anything to hurt his team.

Plus he played a ****-ton of minutes, seemed like he was on the ice more than he was off between ES and the first unit PP. Kid's solid.

I forgot Fazleev was Flyers property as well, or I would have watched him more closely. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad