Prospect Info: 2014/15 Marlies/Prospects Thread V.6 - Now with more Leipsic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Has Nylander been given a shot at C yet? Really not a fan of bringing him over here (despite Modo's situation) if it means he doesn't get to play center. How they think he doesn't deserve a shot at C right away is beyond me.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Has Nylander been given a shot at C yet? Really not a fan of bringing him over here (despite Modo's situation) if it means he doesn't get to play center. How they think he doesn't deserve a shot at C right away is beyond me.

I think the way he play and his skill will eventually make him go to the right wing or the left.

91Stammer*

Feb 11, 2014
Leafland/Richland

Nylander is obviously more suited at center. I watched him play first time today, and most of the times I saw him carrying the puck he went in the middle. But this guy has that instinct to come up with the lose puck, puck just follows him. On the side note I saw a lot of Kessel in him on the PP, he was playing just like him on the PP handling from LW spot(as he is a C/LW) so it's really hard to judge right now.

But that Toronto Maple Smurfs line looked really good and hard working every time they were on the ice. Putting him with guys like Rupert and Brown can influence his game and work ethic.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
We wouldn't get either for him. Biggs is that bad

I actually think he's been good lately... An opinion not shared by a lot of people.

He's translated his game very well to the center spot. He does really well winning faceoffs and playing a strong forecheck game. If you watched them play this week-end, I don't know how you weren't impressed with his strong play. I really wouldn't be surprised if he was called up after the dead line to center the 4th line.

I honestly don't think the Leafs would trade Biggs for winger prospects with questionable potential themselves and waiver eligible very soon.

Last edited:

Tyler Biggs*

Leafs now own the last two CHL top scorers in Brendan Leipsic and Connor Brown.

Last edited by a moderator:

skacore

Nov 7, 2010
I actually think he's been good lately... An opinion not shared by a lot of people.

He's translated his game very well to the center spot. He does really well winning faceoffs and playing a strong forecheck game. If you watched them play this week-end, I don't know how you weren't impressed with his strong play. I really wouldn't be surprised if he was called up after the dead line to center the 4th line.

I honestly don't think the Leafs would trade Biggs for winger prospects with questionable potential themselves and waiver eligible very soon.

That's just it. These forums are littered with fans who have never seen a Marlies or junior game in their life, they just check stats and form an opinion based on that

Hero

Uncle Leo
Jul 2, 2009
heropuck.wordpress.com
Willie has been hot, 6 points and +5 in last 8 games (.75 points per game)

Brown has been hot to, over same span, 4 goals, 8 points +5. (1.0 points per game)

Hero

Uncle Leo
Jul 2, 2009
heropuck.wordpress.com

I'd cautiously agree.

Playing C might have saved Biggs pro career. I still think he has almost no chance of playing in the NHL. But I think he can turn himself into a serviceable 3rd line C in the AHL.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
RE Biggs: I agree. Biggs does look as if he might have an NHL future. His combination of skating and size is rare. You can definitely still see why scouts valued him highly in his draft year. His hands even look surprisingly good also, considering his lack of production. He looks like an NHLer out there.

I could definitely see Biggs as a 4th liner/PK, maybe even a 3rd liner. The trouble is that he isn't producing the way you would expect even of a 3rd liner and the Leafs have a lot of players in the pipeline whose upside is 4th liner. Would Biggs be a better NHL 4th liner than Carrick, for example? Or Freddie G for that matter? I don't know the answer to that.

Somebody made a comparison to Scott Thornton recently. That's a similarity I have noted several times over the last couple of years. Biggs could end up as that kind of player.

I think that going forward the Leafs don't need to take up valuable cap room for fourth line veterans. I think a number of Marlies could perform as well at minimum salary.

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
Man oh man are the Marlies small upfront: Nylander, Brown, Leipsic, Kozun, and Abbott are all a big (and small ;)) part of the team when in the lineup.

Our biggest organizational needs going into the draft are definitely: prospects with size and top-six upside (preferably down the middle), and all-around right shot d-men to compliment Rielly, Gardiner, and Percy.

It looks like we might be able to add one of each with our two first round picks, as we'll be in range of Strome with our pick, and several d-men who fit the bill in Nashville's range.

ErikP803

Mar 29, 2010
RE Biggs: I agree. Biggs does look as if he might have an NHL future. His combination of skating and size is rare. You can definitely still see why scouts valued him highly in his draft year. His hands even look surprisingly good also, considering his lack of production. He looks like an NHLer out there.

I could definitely see Biggs as a 4th liner/PK, maybe even a 3rd liner. The trouble is that he isn't producing the way you would expect even of a 3rd liner and the Leafs have a lot of players in the pipeline whose upside is 4th liner. Would Biggs be a better NHL 4th liner than Carrick, for example? Or Freddie G for that matter? I don't know the answer to that.

Somebody made a comparison to Scott Thornton recently. That's a similarity I have noted several times over the last couple of years. Biggs could end up as that kind of player.

I think that going forward the Leafs don't need to take up valuable cap room for fourth line veterans. I think a number of Marlies could perform as well at minimum salary.

I think Biggs will be a better compliment to more offensive players than Scott Thornton though. Right now he plays with McLaren and Bodie, so not exactly players that will consistently make strong offensive plays. I think this year has been good for him as the move to C has given him more confidence and playing time. If he continues his strong play I hope they give him more offensively capable wingers as he is strong enough defensively and IQ wise that I could see him in a 3C/4C role with the Leafs in the next year or two, being more than just an enforcer.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Man oh man are the Marlies small upfront: Nylander, Brown, Leipsic, Kozun, and Abbott are all a big (and small ;)) part of the team when in the lineup.

Our biggest organizational needs going into the draft are definitely: prospects with size and top-six upside (preferably down the middle), and all-around right shot d-men to compliment Rielly, Gardiner, and Percy.

It looks like we might be able to add one of each with our two first round picks, as we'll be in range of Strome with our pick, and several d-men who fit the bill in Nashville's range.

I agree, but in a league that speed and hockey sense if becoming increasingly more important, they are in good shape in those categories. That being said, they still need to add a Ritchie/Crouse/Rychel type to the pool.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
I think Biggs will be a better compliment to more offensive players than Scott Thornton though. Right now he plays with McLaren and Bodie, so not exactly players that will consistently make strong offensive plays. I think this year has been good for him as the move to C has given him more confidence and playing time. If he continues his strong play I hope they give him more offensively capable wingers as he is strong enough defensively and IQ wise that I could see him in a 3C/4C role with the Leafs in the next year or two, being more than just an enforcer.

I think Scott Thornton represents the Biggs upside rather than his floor, when considered with more than a little optimism stirred in. That's not an insult to Biggs. Thornton did play more than 1000 NHL regular season and playoff games games. There is no certainty that Biggs will play any. And Thornton scored 26 goals in his best season. Even allowing for the fact that was a higher scoring era, is there any actual evidence that Biggs could come anywhere near that kind of total? Could he even come near that total in the AHL?!? There's a reason that Biggs plays with Bodie and McLaren rather than, say, Connor Brown.

I don't think Biggs is a hopeless slug or a bust. Like Scott Thornton, Biggs is a big, strong, smooth skating and defensively responsible player. I think there is still a real possibility he can become a contributor in the NHL. But I also think we need to be a little more realistic about his upside.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Biggs doesn't look like he has the offensive capacity to play a top 9 role at the NHL. He hasn't been great offensively at any level - it's not like he's suddenly going to start scoring goals at the highest level of hockey.

At best, I see him developing into a troy bodie type player - ie energy 4th line centre, who has more skill than a goon. Not great for a 1st round pick, but at least that's something.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Leafs now own the last two CHL top scorers in Brendan Leipsic and Connor Brown.

Hoping by the draft we make it 3 in a row from 2013-2015 ;) (assuming McDavid doesn't get injured again as he should take over the lead again shortly.

Edit: Forgot the CHL schedule is shorter than the NHL... Guess its unlikely he'll take over Marner/Strome at this point.

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
While Biggs is a lot better than his previous years, I still feel he doesn't have that mean streak that he needs to be successful. I haven't noticed him,(in limited viewing), throw any big hits or "go all out". I've also noticed that when he has the puck in the offensive zone, he just shoots the puck at the net. It was actually getting kind of annoying. I understand that his line mates aren't the greatest but it does get frustrating watching him do his Jason Blake impression all game.

I want him to succeed because he does have all the tools. He just needs to get mean. Zdeno Chara never became the player he is now until the Senators basically told him to stop being Mr. Nice Guy.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Hoping by the draft we make it 3 in a row from 2013-2015 ;) (assuming McDavid doesn't get injured again as he should take over the lead again shortly.

Edit: Forgot the CHL schedule is shorter than the NHL... Guess its unlikely he'll take over Marner/Strome at this point.

Hopefully we get Marner/Strome then

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->