Prospect Info: 2014/15 Marlies/Prospects Thread v.4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Number13

May 21, 2007
Sid, Stamkos, Bergeron, Giroux ... all top centremen, none over 6 ft.

Sid and Stamkos are both very thick and are basically 6 foot and 200 lbs each. Definitely big enough to handle the rigors of being a first line centre.

Gramsci

Jul 31, 2003
Toronto
Sid and Stamkos are both very thick and are basically 6 foot and 200 lbs each. Definitely big enough to handle the rigors of being a first line centre.

Your initial claim was they needed to be over 6 feet. Now okay to be 6 ft as long as you're thick.

Stamkos was listed as 5'11 and 178 lbs in his draft year. http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/steven_stamkos/

Pretty much the same as Nylander: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articl...ops-swedish-draft-class-with-european-flavor/

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
People are still trying to say Nylander is too small?

lmao

Its the only negative thing they know about him, and they can't talk about the positives, so the only option is to massively overstate his size "issue", as if being slightly below average is an issue.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Honestly there are so many average sized top end players in this league and people still think he's massively disadvantaged because of his size.

It's just... **** me.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
how have the 3 swedes been playing so far? (tom, granberg, loov)

Granberg is steady as always, very quiet and efficient game. Super strong along the boards and a shot blocking machine. He hasn't had a good NHL camp to start the season so I think his confidence was pretty low with the Marlies at the beginning of the season but he's been back to his old self lately.

Nilsson has been all right. Much like Granberg, has been quiet and just playing well. Skating needs to keep getting better. I'm not sure his physical style will be able to translate very well to the NHL though. He needs another year or two of AHL hockey before the Leafs come and call. He's injured for the next 4-6 weeks.

Loov has been the best of the three in my viewings. Solid contributions offensively, physical and good mobility. Really good 2-way defender. Just needs to keep his consistency up but overall, I really like how much his game has developed. He's on track to be another Gunnarsson/Stralman type pick.

Last edited:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Cap reasons I assume. Send em down for the All Star break.

Cap reasons and the fact that the Marlies have a games this week-end. They fought back to be within a few points of a playoff spot, so players like Frattin, Leivo and Percy are definitely needed to keep the streak going.

That top 9 for the Marlies is going to be ridiculous this week-end.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Should be a hell of a Marlies line up over the all star break.

Leivo - Nylander - Brown
Abbott - McKegg - Ashton
Kozun - Carrick - Frattin
Devane - Rupert - Biggs

Percy - Granberg
Loov - Mikkelson
Finn - Marshall

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara

Leivo - Nylander - Brown
Abbott - McKegg - Ashton
Devane - Rupert - Biggs

Percy - Granberg
Loov - Mikkelson
Finn - Marshall

Nylander likely on the wing to start.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
With Frattin and Leivo going back do you think it pushes Nylander into the middle? Marlies are short at C.

I think we might see some shuffling with a guy like Devane sitting - someone drops down one line to accommodate Nylander on the wing or Nylander starts on the 3rd line for his 1st game. Totally guessing.

mikebel111*

Leivo - Nylander - Brown
Abbott - McKegg - Ashton
Devane - Rupert - Biggs

Percy - Granberg
Loov - Mikkelson
Finn - Marshall

With that lineup, there is no need to be playing 7 D anymore. Though Macwilliam would be scratched than.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I don't. I think he'll be on the wing for at least the week-end.

Seems like a waste with Rupert being centre between Leivo and Brown, and having Biggs who isn't even a C, being the C on the 4th line.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
Seems like a waste with Rupert being centre between Leivo and Brown, and having Biggs who isn't even a C, being the C on the 4th line.

Rupert's been one of their better players though. I'm guessing they don't feel right about bumping him down considering how well he's played for them.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Rupert's been one of their better players though. I'm guessing they don't feel right about bumping him down considering how well he's played for them.

Exactly. And Biggs as also been playing really really well as a center.

I'm sure Nylander will get switched to the center position at some point. I don't think it's a big deal.

mikebel111*

Well Rupert has been among the better players for the marlies this season
GP 21
G 5
A 7
P 12
Rating +12
Yes not impressive stat line but for a team that has had a lot of issues scoring goals, that is pretty good.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

Yeah, not saying he's crap or anything, but what's a huge position of need for us? Centre? Who's our best prospect who has played centre (against men already) ? Nylander.

I realize they may get him over to C at some point but sooner the better i'd roll with...

Ashton-McKegg-Abbott
Leivo-Nylander-Brown
Kozun-Carrick-Frattin
Devane-Rupert-Biggs

Solid 4 lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad