Salary Cap: 2014-15-Happy Thoughts

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Armchair GM FTW. Buyout Franzen, trade Abdelkader for a draft pick. Semi-conservative numbers for the contracts. Think this contend for a Stanley Cup though. Odds of happening? Zero.

FORWARDS
Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($7.500m) / Dustin Penner ($4.000m)
Tomas Tatar ($1.500m) / Mikhail Grabovski ($4.500m) / Devin Setoguchi ($4.000m)
Gustav Nyquist ($0.950m) / Stephen Weiss ($4.900m) / Tomas Jurco ($0.709m)
Drew Miller ($1.350m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Riley Sheahan ($0.715m)
Joakim Andersson ($0.733m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Danny DeKeyser ($2.000m) / Jakub Kindl ($2.400m)
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Xavier Ouellet ($0.670m)
Jonathan Ericsson ($4.250m) / Brendan Smith ($1.263m)
Brian Lashoff ($0.725m) /
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($5.292m)
Petr Mrazek ($0.595m)

(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,910,934; BONUSES: $635,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $2,389,066

*Didn't account for Alfredsson's bonus, subtract $2 million from the cap space

Last edited:

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Talk about a good team

Would set it up like this

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Franzen
Nyquist-Grabovski-Tatar
Jurco-Weiss-Ferraro
Sheahan-Helm-Miller

i'm ok with that but that there is still only one rh shot.

and 5 rookies/sophomores.

but i don't see it being too big of a issue.

Can't disagree with this. Problem is, by this stage in the game we needed either Smith or Kindl to be an established 2nd pairing puck-moving D. That hasn't happened yet.

Our top 3 of Kronwall, Ericsson, Dekeyser is pretty good, or good enough IMO. But then Smith, Kindl, Quincey/Lashoff/Ouellet is mehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

yeah.

At this point I think we should just go with Ouellet and try to develop him on the fly. I think he has a better shot of being a guy who can stablize a top 4 spot than either Smith or Kindl.

what do you mean with that? bring him up now?

But we have too many holes to plug on D, it seems. Really would love to try and be aggressive and swing a trade for a D man. But Holland ain't gonna do crap.

I'd do Quincey+1st+good prospect for young righty D

agreed.

to be fair for holland, he reportedly has tried to do trade for young(ish) d-man for a while. but the price has been too high. no, seriously.

gillis wanted 1st, nyquist, jarnkrok and smith for edler at the draft.

There really aren't any premier UFA defensemen available next year. And fewer still that aren't going to be retained by their current teams.

The only thing you can do is go out and overpower on forwards. And the only way to do that is if you cut salary by replacing some guys with cheap kids.

there are few that i'd consider upgrade on current d; assuming of course that they aren't re-signed which is very much impossible.

that leaves us the trade market.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
to be fair for holland, he reportedly has tried to do trade for young(ish) d-man for a while. but the price has been too high. no, seriously.

gillis wanted 1st, nyquist, jarnkrok and smith for edler at the draft.

there are few that i'd consider upgrade on current d; assuming of course that they aren't re-signed which is very much impossible.

that leaves us the trade market.

So we have a threefold problem.

1. Holland hasn't been very active as a trader.
2. The prices are insane.
3. Teams are going to retain all the good young defensemen because everyone knows how valuable they are.

The forwards market just seems more fluid. We should make moves there if we can. I'm sure everyone agrees upgrades could be made to our defense. It just doesn't seem very possible.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
doesn't need to be young dman.

i'd be fine with stopgap until the next waive is ready, hopefully.

strålman, morris, fayne. rh, not pylons with the puck though not premier offensive dman. won't cost an arm and a leg. but i'm afraid rangers won't let strälman go; but if they do, i'd like to be on it.

if smith or kindl progress like we hope they would for next year, dekeyser continues what he has done so far and wings add one or two of those and/or maybe someone like klein or girardi; i think that would be pretty solid d. not great or very good but solid. if team looks great deadline, maybe shoot for someone like green or something.

upgrades definitely can be made on that defense. significant.. maybe not. may not be worth it.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
People calling for Jurco to be on the tean next year, keep dreaming. Not a chance in hell a 21 year old makes opening night roster. we won't see Jurco until 2016, maybe even later knowing this team.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
defense. still. freaking. sucks.

and anyway, don't see vanek signing with wings.

Assuming that we don't trade away any prospects this year, I can't see us making any trades at this point, we should be able to trade away some of our prospects for a defenceman. This is also assuming that none of the guys in the AHL/SHL impress the staff enough to hold off making any moves.

Regardless we'll have the cap space & assets next year to be players in both FA & the trade market if we choose to be.

JackieTreehorn

Mar 16, 2010
I expect Cleary, Samuelson, Bert and Quincey to be brought back with NTC.

The upgrades will come from being able to fit Tootoo, Eaves and Emmerton under an increased salary cap.

All players waiver eligible will be lost and traded for a 1st round pick in the future.

I believe Holland may have early onset dementia so I think this is pretty likely.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
The only players I'd bet won't be back next year are Emmerton, Eaves, and Samuelsson.

I could see Bertuzzi being brought back for one more year at ~1-1.5M if he stays healthy.
I could see Cleary being brought back for one more year at $1M or less, even if he doesn't manage 10 points.
I could see Quincey being brought back for a year or two at $2.5M or more.

Nyquist replaces Sammy, Ferraro or Sheahan replace Eaves. The rest of the prospects who are no longer waiver exempt rot in the AHL.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
The only players I'd bet won't be back next year are Emmerton, Eaves, and Samuelsson.

I could see Bertuzzi being brought back for one more year at ~1-1.5M if he stays healthy.
I could see Cleary being brought back for one more year at $1M or less, even if he doesn't manage 10 points.

Nyquist replaces Sammy, Ferraro or Sheahan replace Eaves. The rest of the prospects who are no longer waiver exempt rot in the AHL.

I can see Bert being back. Cleary, well. Kill me now. No way Quincey is brought back with the influx of NHL ready D-men.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
I can see Bert being back. Cleary, well. Kill me now. No way Quincey is brought back with the influx of NHL ready D-men.

What influx? Is Nick Lidstrom's clone sitting in the AHL right now? This a team that had 42 forwards on the roster and an "influx of NHL ready forwards" and yet still went out and signed Cleary. No one should be shocked to see Ouellet and Almqvist rotting in the AHL next year, and there's no way Sproul or Marchenko get promoted that soon.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
What influx? Is Nick Lidstrom's clone sitting in the AHL right now? This a team that had 42 forwards on the roster and an "influx of NHL ready forwards" and yet still went out and signed Cleary. No one should be shocked to see Ouellet and Almqvist rotting in the AHL next year, and there's no way Sproul or Marchenko get promoted that soon.

ken holland said earlier this week that as manager he isnt allowed to alter the roster so dont expect any changes

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010

Those who are not waiver exempt still must go through waivers to be sent down after training camp. In your scenario we might lose Almqvist & Callahan

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
1. I am trading for a dman who can move the puck and can run a powerplay properly. He has to be able to skate well and do so even more in transition. Kindl, prospects and picks will be offered up and target teams who have a long history of doing poorly and losing their star players

2. I am letting sammy, cleary, quincey, bert and the monster walk

3. I would consider bringing back alffie but with a very low salary(he is getting a 2 million bonus which too me should count for something)

4. i am targeting a big time ufa like vanek or gabby knowing full well we will likely not get either

5. i am bringing up nyquist, jurco, ouellet, mrazek and ferraro full-time

6. estimate slalary cap is 68 million(basically pre-lockout #'s)

7. CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
CapGeek Armchair GM Roster
FORWARDS
Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($7.500m) / Marian Gaborik ($6.500m)
Gustav Nyquist ($0.950m) / Stephen Weiss ($4.900m) / Tomas Tatar ($1.200m)
Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Tomas Jurco ($0.709m)
Drew Miller ($1.350m) / Joakim Andersson ($0.733m) / Jordin Tootoo ($1.900m)
Landon Ferraro ($0.750m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($4.250m)
Brian Campbell ($7.143m) / Danny DeKeyser ($2.400m)
Brendan Smith ($1.263m) / Xavier Ouellet ($0.670m)
Brian Lashoff ($0.725m) /
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($5.292m)
Petr Mrazek ($0.595m)
BUYOUTS
Johan Franzen (-$0.073m)
Carlo Colaiacovo ($0.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $68,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,513,809; BONUSES: $635,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $4,786,191

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
Those who are not waiver exempt still must go through waivers to be sent down after training camp. In your scenario we might lose Almqvist & Callahan

callahan might have a chance to play NHL, but not in detroit. i can't see babcock using a guy like him. think of tootoo.

almquist is tricky. i personally would rather use him as #7 for one season than lashoff. after that one NHL season you can decide if almquist is good enough. if not, i'm sure some other GR kid will get that spot.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
callahan might have a chance to play NHL, but not in detroit. i can't see babcock using a guy like him. think of tootoo.

almquist is tricky. i personally would rather use him as #7 for one season than lashoff. after that one NHL season you can decide if almquist is good enough. if not, i'm sure some other GR kid will get that spot.

Callahan is playing mostly 4th line but he is pretty good around the net. Someone stated that they wanted to see him play with better line mates to see what he could do & I agree. Maybe the wings try to pass him through waivers to give him another year.

I believe that it will take longer than 1 year for Almqvist to build up his body, so making him the 7th (and having trainer nearby) might be the answer. But Lashoff is slowly getting better too

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Why trade for Campbell (lose assets) to have a anchor caphit (7.1M), when you can just promote Almquist for free and have him for 6.5 million cheaper? Use those millions at somehwere else.

Of course, Campbell could be better player, than Almquist. But better vs. his caphit. Not so?

Callahan has better toolbox than Tootoo. He has been all the time part of the Griffins penalty kill. That's why Tootoo was demoted to Grand Rapids, so they can scout Callahan comparing him on Tootoo, when they are playing on the same line. If Callahan can outplay him, everything is looking very promising.

Definitely worth to be a depth player, 13th-14th forward.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Why trade for Campbell (lose assets) to have a anchor caphit (7.1M), when you can just promote Almquist for free and have him for 6.5 million cheaper? Use those millions at somehwere else.

Of course, Campbell could be better player, than Almquist. But better vs. his caphit. Not so?

Callahan has better toolbox than Tootoo. He has been all the time part of the Griffins penalty kill.

Definitely worth to be depth player, 13th-14th forward.

Because Campbell has proven he can produce points in the NHL, he is fast, and he has 15-20 lbs on Almqvist.

If Almqvist could skate like Campbell he'd be on the team already. He probably also would have been a high draft pick.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit

Callahan has better toolbox than Tootoo. He has been all the time part of the Griffins penalty kill. That's why Tootoo was demoted to Grand Rapids, so they can scout Callahan comparing him on Tootoo, when they are playing on the same line. If Callahan can outplay him, everything is looking very promising.

yah thats true, why pay for datsyuk when we can just promote gutsav nyquist for free and save that 6 million and use it somewhere else

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course

understatement of the year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->