Salary Cap: 2014-15-Happy Thoughts

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Will be interesting to see who that last buy out gets used on. If Mule doesnt pick it up than maybe him? Or possibly Tootoo.

I think Sheahan and Ferraro are for sure on the team and Callahan deserves to be the 13th forward.

Cleary, Bert, Sammy, Alfie, Eaves, Emmerton I think at most one of these guys come back, leaving the roster space for cheap young players. Get the team younger and faster with Nyquist, Ferraro and Callahan.

On D, Quincey out and Ouellet in

1st Line Interloper

Will Drop the Gloves
May 4, 2013
Who are the major free agents this coming offseason?

I've got Gaborik, Vanek, Stastny, Cammaleri, Michalek, Quincey, Orpik, Robidas, Vrbata, Girardi, Moulson and Grabovski.

Girardi and Gaborik/Vanek interest me the most on that list.

lol wut? Major free agent?

I think Michalek could be coming to Detroit if he doesn't get a deal done with Ottawa. He seems like a player that the Red Wings could go after and he is an ex 30 goal scorer. I've always liked Vrbata as well.

I would like us to preferably get somebody who can be a trigger man and score some goals. Z is regularly scoring goals but nobody else really is. We need somebody who can score (and preferably play big).

We need some defensive help unless somebody steps up in the D-pairings and decides to be a top 4 defenseman from the group of Kindl, Quincey and Smith.

Otherwise the roster will be way younger next year. I believe that Sheahan and Ferraro are going to be on the team for sure next year. I don't think the organization has made a decision on Callahan but regardless of his presence, our bottom 6 will be anything but soft.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

I think Michalek could be coming to Detroit if he doesn't get a deal done with Ottawa. He seems like a player that the Red Wings could go after and he is an ex 30 goal scorer. I've always liked Vrbata as well.

I would like us to preferably get somebody who can be a trigger man and score some goals. Z is regularly scoring goals but nobody else really is. We need somebody who can score (and preferably play big).

We need some defensive help unless somebody steps up in the D-pairings and decides to be a top 4 defenseman from the group of Kindl, Quincey and Smith.

Otherwise the roster will be way younger next year. I believe that Sheahan and Ferraro are going to be on the team for sure next year. I don't think the organization has made a decision on Callahan but regardless of his presence, our bottom 6 will be anything but soft.

gonna be a bidding war,just like there was with Cleary

:sarcasm:

1st Line Interloper

Will Drop the Gloves
May 4, 2013
gonna be a bidding war,just like there was with Cleary

:sarcasm:

Detroit vs Grand Rapids for his services?

:laugh:

Forgot to mention this in my earlier post but I think Bert will be the 35+ who comes back. Probably for roughly the same cap hit, which I wouldn't complain about if he can maintain his current level with D & Z. Otherwise we need to find somebody to play with those two.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
1. Datsyuk --> Datsyuk (+800k) 6.7M --> 7.5M
2. Zetterberg --> Zetterberg
3. Alfredsson --> UFA (Vanek?) Vanek would be +2.0M (Alfie bonuses) + ~7.0M = +9.0M
4. Weiss --> Weiss
5. Franzen --> Franzen
6. Bertuzzi --> Sheahan (-1.3M) 2.075M --> ~775k
7. Samuelsson --> Nyquist (-2.05M) 3.0M --> 950k
8. Helm --> Helm
9. Abdelkader --> Abdelkader
10. Tatar --> Tatar (+900k) 630k --> ~1.53M
11. Miller --> Miller
12. Andersson --> Andersson
13. Cleary --> Ferraro (-1.0M) 1.75 --> ~750k
14. Eaves --> Callahan (-600k) 1.2M --> ~600k
15. Tootoo --> Tootoo

1. Kronwall ---> Kronwall
2. Ericsson ---> Ericsson (+1.0M) 3.25M --> ~4.25M
3. DeKeyser --> DeKeyser (+2.0M) 925k --> ~2.925M
4. Kindl ------> Kindl
5. Smith -----> Smith
6. Quincey ---> Almquist (-3.0M) 3.775M --> ~775k
7. Lashoff ----> Lashoff

1. Howard ------> Howard
2. Gustavsson --> Mrazek (-900k) 1.5M --> 600k

Total 66.725M with 24 players.

I just promoted all guys (Sheahan, Nyquist, Ferraro, Callahan, Almquist) who are not waiver eligible after this season.

If cap rises ~5million, we would have 2.575M of cap space. And this sum includes 7.0M free agent like Vanek. Could also consider extending also Alfie again, with bonuses.

Last edited:

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013

What? I'm serious. I definitely wasn't trolling everyone by slipping Quincey in there.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Every year we talk about how exciting it's going to be next year when prospect X and Y are FINALLY on the team. Then "next season" hits and they bring back some crusty old veterans, people stay healthy, and these guys never see the ice.

These kind of threads just get people's hopes up, and then people get pissed off when these logical things don't happen.

Last year after the playoff run I would have made a thread called "Happy thoughts 2013-2014" season where Nyquist is a lock to be playing significant NHL minutes, and we can all look forward to it.

If Cleary and Bertuzzi get's re-signed, then this thread goes to hell. Or Cleary and Alfreddson, same thing. You can say those things seem like a "long shot", but we are talking about Ken Holland, and the Detroit Country Club Red Wings. You don't count your chickens before they hatch with this team. You have to wait until the year actually starts and we're playing hockey.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Every year we talk about how exciting it's going to be next year when prospect X and Y are FINALLY on the team. Then "next season" hits and they bring back some crusty old veterans, people stay healthy, and these guys never see the ice.

These kind of threads just get people's hopes up, and then people get pissed off when these logical things don't happen.

Last year after the playoff run I would have made a thread called "Happy thoughts 2013-2014" season where Nyquist is a lock to be playing significant NHL minutes, and we can all look forward to it.

But the difference has been this waiver eligibility. If there has been a chance to "overripe" a kid down in AHL, they have used that option towards the final possible moment.

But this situation will change at next summer. We are reaching a certain point after this transition period.

For next season we all have one kid losing their waiver eligility per every washed up vet, who'll contract will end.

So, if they want to extend a vet, they'll lose a kid. That not good asset management.

They don't want to lose those kids for free. Or it has to be at least a proven non-NHLr like Emmerton.

I think only Callahan would hit the waiver wire of that group (Sheahan, Nyquist, Ferraro, Callahan, Almquist).

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
But the difference has been his waive eligibility. For next season we have one kid losing their waiver eligility per every washed up vet.

They don't want to lose those kids for free. Or it has to be at least a proven non-NHLr like Emmerton.

I think only Callahan would hit the waiver wire of that group (Sheahan, Nyquist, Ferraro, Callahan, Almquist).

Do all five of those guys lose their waiver eligibility next year?

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course

If Cleary and Bertuzzi get's re-signed, then this thread goes to hell. Or Cleary and Alfreddson, same thing. You can say those things seem like a "long shot", but we are talking about Ken Holland, and the Detroit Country Club Red Wings. You don't count your chickens before they hatch with this team. You have to wait until the year actually starts and we're playing hockey.

alfie can still contribute. no better rh coming within organization. so it's not the same thing. could still be good 3rd line if he declines. i'd look for upgrade, though.

with bert, i'd look for an upgrade too. but with babcock, he likely wants size there on 1st line with euro twins. bert would probably be better than abby there.

not that i want bert back. alfie, wouldn't mind. but with that to workout, franzen would need to be bought out. i'm kind of torn there, but leaning on buying him out.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
it really isn't much better next year, if all of almquist, ferraro, sheahan and all other kids are regulars; that means no upgrades in roster.

which means more or less another year lost for dats and zeta's prime. and they don't have many left.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
But the difference has been his waive eligibility. For next season we have one kid losing their waiver eligility per every washed up vet.

Can all hit waivers for all I care, the Red Wings are loaded with middle-bottom 6 talent. They have needed top 6 talent for years now, which is what they will have to address in the off-season. I consider Tatar and Nyquist perfect third liners, decent second liners.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
it really isn't much better next year, if all of almquist, ferraro, sheahan and other kids are regulars; that means no upgrades in roster.

which means more or less another year lost for dats and zeta's prime. and they don't have many left.

In my plans there was 7.0M UFA (Vanek) + possible Alfie extension + 5 washed up vets replaced by a kid.

That's a freaking upgrade.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
it really isn't much better next year, if all of almquist, ferraro, sheahan and all other kids are regulars; that means no upgrades in roster.

Eh, depends how you look at it. Having those guys all on ELC are sure to clear some cap room, am I right?

Also Ferraro would upgrade our PK. Probably a better PK'er than anyone on our team.
His speed would boost the team speed, also makes us more dangerous short-handed.

Sheahan may not have developed exactly how we would have liked, but he still was a 1st round pick, so he has some ability. Think in time, he would be an easy upgrade over Andersson as either 3rd or 4th line center.

Nyquist is an easy upgrade on 2nd or 3rd line, and the PP unit over some of the dead weight on this team.

Callahan and Almquist I don't expect to make the team.

So yeah, I disagree. I see some upgrades, and kids playing oh cheap contracts. Basically exactly what this team needs.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
If Grabovski doesn't resign with Washington go hard after him, leaves you with Datsyuk, Grabo, Weiss, Helm down the middle. He'll be useful once Datsyuk's contract is up as well.

Try to sign Penner. Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Penner would be tough to deal with.

Try to sign Setogouchi.
We should only go after 3 forwards if we get rid of some of our bottom6 guys. I have no doubt that guys like Sheahan and Ferraro could fill Miller/Abby's shoes for less. Jurco would be a great third line winger. But even if we let all our UFA's go next year, we have waaaay too many forwards.

Dats, Z, Weiss, Tatar, Nyquist, Miller, Abby, Andersson, Helm. Tootoo is still signed. I expect Glendening to be brought back. Where's the room for Jurco, Sheahan, Ferraro if we sign 3 more forwards? This is even assuming Franzen gets bought out. Which I doubt.

I would be okay with letting Andersson, Abby, go. Dats, Grabo, Weiss, Helm down the middle is insane center depth. Z, Tatar, Nyquist, Jurco, top9 wingers. Helm + Miller/Ferraro/Sheahan 4th line.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Eh, depends how you look at it. Having those guys all on ELC are sure to clear some cap room, am I right?

yes.

Also Ferraro would upgrade our PK. Probably a better PK'er than anyone on our team.
His speed would boost the team speed, also makes us more dangerous short-handed.

very much possible. has looked good in ahl but it's different game in next level. but i have hope in there.

Sheahan may not have developed exactly how we would have liked, but he still was a 1st round pick, so he has some ability. Think in time, he would be an easy upgrade over Andersson as either 3rd or 4th line center.

agreed.

Nyquist is an easy upgrade on 2nd or 3rd line, and the PP unit over some of the dead weight on this team.

agreed.

Callahan and Almquist I don't expect to make the team.

yeah, it might work out like that. i'd like to see almquist little more in nhl this season but looks like he's the odd man out.

So yeah, I disagree. I see some upgrades, and kids playing oh cheap contracts. Basically exactly what this team needs.

some upgrades isn't enough. for f, it would be fine if they can dump a body, maybe two.

but defense.. no. kindl, ouellet, smith and dekyser is not good bottom 4 for contender.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Dats, Grabo, Weiss, Helm down the middle is insane center depth. Z, Tatar, Nyquist, Jurco, top9 wingers. Helm + Miller/Ferraro/Sheahan 4th line.

Talk about a good team

Would set it up like this

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Franzen
Nyquist-Grabovski-Tatar
Jurco-Weiss-Ferraro
Sheahan-Helm-Miller

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
but defense.. no. kindl, ouellet, smith and dekyser is not good bottom 4 for contender.

Can't disagree with this. Problem is, by this stage in the game we needed either Smith or Kindl to be an established 2nd pairing puck-moving D. That hasn't happened yet.

Our top 3 of Kronwall, Ericsson, Dekeyser is pretty good, or good enough IMO. But then Smith, Kindl, Quincey/Lashoff/Ouellet is mehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

At this point I think we should just go with Ouellet and try to develop him on the fly. I think he has a better shot of being a guy who can stablize a top 4 spot than either Smith or Kindl.

But we have too many holes to plug on D, it seems. Really would love to try and be aggressive and swing a trade for a D man. But Holland ain't gonna do crap.

I'd do Quincey+1st+good prospect for young righty D

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009

There really aren't any premier UFA defensemen available next year. And fewer still that aren't going to be retained by their current teams.

The only thing you can do is go out and overpower on forwards. And the only way to do that is if you cut salary by replacing some guys with cheap kids.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
I wouldn't count out Quincey being brought back.

Cleary has to be gone. It seems KH and Babs already realize re-signing him was a mistake but one hot stretch and we might be stuck with him again next year. :facepalm:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Callahan+Almquist -package could net Versteeg-style of trade.

With Jim Nill, let's get Gonchar in here. When he is gone, start bringing Ouellet and Sproul in.

I'm down for that plan. Or Visnovsky maybe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad