2014-15 Calder Poll: Forsberg, Gaudreau and Ekblad separate from the pack in January

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005
johnny_gaudreau_calgary_011015.jpg
Photo: Calgary Flames rookie forward Johnny Gaudreau is currently third in scoring for the Flames with 15 goals and 39 points in 52 games (courtesy of Kathleen Hinkel/Icon Sportswire)

Nashville Predators left wing Filip Forsberg strengthened his hold on the top spot in the Hockey’s Future Calder Trophy poll in January while the*Calgary FlamesJohnny Gaudreau and 18-year-old Florida Panthers defenseman Aaron Ekblad appear to be his top challengers for the award.

Just below the top three are Winnipeg Jets goalie Michael Hutchinson and Ottawa Senators forward Mike Hoffman, who are tied for fourth, while Dallas Stars defenseman John Klingberg was one of the biggest movers in terms of numbers of votes, sliding into the sixth spot.… read more

The post 2014-15 Calder Poll: Forsberg, Gaudreau and Ekblad separate from the pack in January appeared first on Hockey's Future.

More...

Big Bjugs

Amat Victoria Curam
Jan 9, 2013
Canada Eh
It has to be Ekblad. How many 18yr olds ( let alone Dmen) break into this league and lead their team in points?

The only case against Ekblad is that he really is a 32yr old vet in disguise.

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
It has to be Ekblad. How many 18yr olds ( let alone Dmen) break into this league and lead their team in points?

The only case against Ekblad is that he really is a 32yr old vet in disguise.

I agree.

Tho the bolded is as much as an indictment to our team as a credit to him.

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
As awesome as this rookie is, that's really bad for us Panther fans.

yeah, but it also puts it into perspective

whats more impressive? someone scoring on a super stacked super power offensive team or a guy who steps in and leads the team in points as a rookie along with being solid defensively?

just look at mackinnon, he did great last year because whole team overachieved, the team isnt performing now, and mackinnon is trash this year. not even surprised, i said it last year too, over achieveing team that he overachieved on

Big Bjugs

Amat Victoria Curam
Jan 9, 2013
Canada Eh
yeah, but it also puts it into perspective

whats more impressive? someone scoring on a super stacked super power offensive team or a guy who steps in and leads the team in points as a rookie along with being solid defensively?

just look at mackinnon, he did great last year because whole team overachieved, the team isnt performing now, and mackinnon is trash this year. not even surprised, i said it last year too, over achieveing team that he overachieved on

Exactly. Great point. Whos to say Ekblad wouldn't be close to a ppg D man if we were scoring goals like the Avs did last year?

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Damned if I'm not convinced the best dman in the league for years to come just turned 19 years old.

spacemanatee

May 18, 2014
what ekblad has done is far more impressive than any other rookie but forsberg will win the calder

CatscratchFever

#CatsAreComing
Dec 11, 2002
O-hi-O
Visit site
Incredible.

Lwr6jc1.png

Focus on+/-and GWG, compared to the others. On a Panthers team. Closing in on double digit goals. It's the most excited I've ever felt for a Panther draft pick. Ever. I swore I would never buy a Jersey with a player name on it. I take it back. It's hard to imagine regression from this guy.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Focus on+/-and GWG, compared to the others. On a Panthers team. Closing in on double digit goals. It's the most excited I've ever felt for a Panther draft pick. Ever. I swore I would never buy a Jersey with a player name on it. I take it back. It's hard to imagine regression from this guy.

Absolutely, and to think he is just getting ****ing started! Unreal!

Those clips we saw them showing during the draft were most telling of his mind.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
Incredible.

Lwr6jc1.png

Its funny that people on the main board think that this is not relevant to the Calder race. Apparently, playing defense the way Ekblad has, as an 18 year old rookie, should not be taken into consideration. The other rookies, who are older, and have professional experience outside prior to this year, are more deserving :shakehead

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Its funny that people on the main board think that this is not relevant to the Calder race. Apparently, playing defense the way Ekblad has, as an 18 year old rookie, should not be taken into consideration. The other rookies, who are older, and have professional experience outside prior to this year, are more deserving :shakehead

Isn't the Dallas defenseman who is in contention 22 or 23?

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida

If he manages to move past Bobby Orr, that will make headlines and the "hockey people" will see that as a cap on a wonderful season for him. It'll be tough to give the Calder to anyone else knowing history took place.

Gaebriel

Jan 17, 2004
DC
While I think Ekblad should win it, I don't think age can be considered a factor. The award is for the best rookie, not the best rookie after adjusting for age or experience. I think Ekblad's position, importance to his team, the strength of his teammates and his raw numbers are enough to put him past Forsberg but I'm biased because I'm a fan of the team.

MacKinnon is on pace for 44 points after scoring 63 as a rookie. Is that really trash? It's definitely a sophomore slump but I wouldn't go as far as calling him trash this year. 44 points in 82 games in still a higher PPG pace than everyone on our team except Bjugstad, Huberdeau, Ekblad and Hayes.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
The thing about Forsberg is (who is Ekblad's main rival for the Calder in my opinion), if you don't want to factor in age, his team may have the Vezina, Hart, and Norris trophy winners, on a team that may finish with the President's trophy.

That's pretty advantageous for Forsberg and is a much "easier" position vs Ekblad's situation.

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC
While I think Ekblad should win it, I don't think age can be considered a factor. The award is for the best rookie, not the best rookie after adjusting for age or experience. I think Ekblad's position, importance to his team, the strength of his teammates and his raw numbers are enough to put him past Forsberg but I'm biased because I'm a fan of the team.

In all fairness, it's to the player "most proficient in their first year."

I would argue that proficiency is a function of age, especially for younger players. Yeah, I definitely agree that age should not be a major decision factor... but if you've got a tight race I'd absolutely say it should give the younger player the edge.

But another thing to consider is the team they play for. Points do not directly display proficiency. Stick Ekblad behind Crosby and he's going to finish the season with more points, period.

With that being said, I think this throws out Gaudreau and Klingberg pretty quickly. I put this on a positional platform... Gaudreau at this point falls behind Forsberg. Forsberg is a team leader, Gaudreau is not. Klingberg is behind Spezza, Benn, and Seguin. All 40-50 point players at this point in the season. Ekblad is behind just Bjugstad, and not by any sort of distance.

What Ekblad has done has been really impressive. What Forsberg has done has been really impressive. What Gaudreau and Klingberg have done is impressive, but not so much as the formers. Just my take.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad