League News: 2014-15 Around the League Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrGone

Nov 18, 2009
Son..you haven't been following the NHL very long have you? Guys like Bowman and Keenan (and Babcock) were all pretty much hated. Want to talk about "Legends"? Mario Lemieux DESPISED Scotty Bowman!

Lemieux is a GREATER Legend than Selanne can ever hope to be.

Keenan routinely RIPPED Brian Leetch apart and did not like him. "You're not half the defensman Chris Chelios is and I'd trade you right now if I could get him"

My point is that when its an opinion you like the only thing that matters is how close the source is. And when its an opinion you don't like its does not matter and you bring up other things.

Feel free to spin this off into anything you like.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
It's ok to be an ass of a coach, but you have to win to validate it.

If you bench a top vet and then get shelled in game 7 rolling the backup G on a hunch, you have to expect that vet guy to be pissed. And maybe the 1G.

Sure he has slowed winding down his career, but at the same time he wants to win a cup before walking away. Everyone has their breaking point, and Teemme had had enough.

I wonder if its true that he didn't do player interviews.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
You have to take into account incentives and motivations. Teemu was obviously feeling scorned and and frustrated at his declining skills like many great atheletes. He took it out and shifted blame. Martin Brodeur probably doesn't like Deboer too much either.

You have to take this into account.

RH

You are right you have to win (I assume you mean a Stanley Cup) to validate. The book on BB isn't closed yet. I mean Keenan didn't win one until many years down the road and only when he had a pretty stacked team with tons of vets.

But give me any coach and I can show you countless players who didn't like him in most cases and this is due to the player feeling they should be more part of the gameplan usually.

Here is one BB example: Olaf Kolzig

In 07-08 we were fighting for our playoff lives. BB runs with Huet. Kolzig hated BB.

Boudreau did a bold thing. He played the guy who was better and the Caps probably don't make the playoffs if he goes by sentiment.

Kolzig departed in less than friendly terms. So would you side with Kolzig in that instance? Very similar situation to Selanne.

The Deadly Pook Gas

Feb 6, 2012
265681d1398449745t-what-whaa-positive-blackberry-mr-burns-excellent-1.jpg

With all these injuries it's the perfect opportunity for the caps to fall flat on their faces : (

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
‏@StapeNewsday: Interesting guest at #Isles camp last 2 days: Fmr. Caps GM George McPhee. Good friend of Garth Snow's, McPhee came down to see Snow's team.

Coldplay619

Oct 17, 2010
The Metro is going to be a ******* **** show this year.

We'll need to hit the ground running it seems.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
Sometimes I get the feeling you guys really hate anyone who plays for the Capitals.

Their top pairing is de Haan and Hamonic.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
That is some serious depth they just got which is going to take a lot of pressure off of Halak.

I think Leddy is fairly overrated, but I love Boychuk. The Isles are better team on paper than they were 3 hours ago. Interested to see how they both play now that they're not part of the Bruins and Blackhawks, two of the deepest and most complete teams in the NHL.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
I think Leddy is fairly overrated, but I love Boychuk. The Isles are better team on paper than they were 3 hours ago. Interested to see how they both play now that they're not part of the Bruins and Blackhawks, two of the deepest and most complete teams in the NHL.

Ditto basically. Leddy isnt great but he moves the offense. Boychuk is a guy who I think will be better in a bigger role.

Bottom line, two second pair dmen for futures. Nice haul.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Oh sorry, they just picked up 2 top pairing defenseman for scraps from 2 Stanley Cup contenders.

BOW DOWN TO THE ALMIGHTY ISLES.

They've gone from the worst defensive core to the 2nd worst.

They unquestionably and significantly solidified the weakest unit on their team, and they did so without giving up a lot. That's called smart management. It makes our division tougher. Not my problem you can't/don't want to admit it.

Halpysback*

Oh sorry, they just picked up 2 top pairing defenseman for scraps from 2 Stanley Cup contenders.

Boychuk would be the best D on our team or at worst right behind Carlson.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

Let me ask you this: would you rather sign Orpik and Niskanen to the contracts we signed them to or make the moves that the Isles made?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->