Not open for further replies.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Dream first round match-ups:

#1 NYR vs #8 NYI
#2 MON vs #7 OTT
#3 TB vs #6 DET
#4 WAS vs #5 PITT

Wouldn't that be something? Bettman would be doing cartwheels.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
What exactly do the Rangers have to play for again? They're resting up for the first round.
Certainly the Caps ought to be motivated to make a point down the road but they aren't above sleeping through an afternoon game regardless. Any sort of NYI loss tomorrow against the Pens and home ice goes to the Caps.

Most likely match-ups as of today:

East: NYR/OTT; WSH/NYI; MTL/PIT; TBL/DET
West: ANA/WPG; VAN/CGY; STL/MIN; NSH/CHI

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Calgary ends LA's hopes of making the playoffs.

Jiri Hudler 2+1 in the game, 31+45 in the season.

Who could have seen this coming?

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
Calgary ends LA's hopes of making the playoffs.

Jiri Hudler 2+1 in the game, 31+45 in the season.

Who could have seen this coming?

I don't see that lineup going too deep in the playoffs.

Remember Wideman even though he may have improved and his postseason play. Johnny hockey and Hudler won't have as much space for their little tic tac goals they've been getting plenty of.

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
I could definitely see Calgary knocking off Vancouver.

True and overall the west isn't as strong but when I said deep run I was mainly speaking of the heavy weights of the west St. Louis and Chicago. The experience will carry these teams IMO.

Ditto for The Jets. Neither team makes it past game six second round.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
If they get in, I think Ottawa fans should go with a Princess Bride theme for playoff advitars.

every-time-i-hear-the-word-inconceivable-i-think-of-this-guy-58043.jpg

"UNSUSTAINABLE!!!"

inconceivable.jpg

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Most likely match-ups as of today:

East: NYR/OTT; WSH/NYI; MTL/PIT; TBL/DET
West: ANA/WPG; VAN/CGY; STL/MIN; NSH/CHI

I know I shouldn't have any confidence but those first round matchups....I don't see one that looks like a 7 game knock down drag out in the east.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
I know I shouldn't have any confidence but those first round matchups....I don't see one that looks like a 7 game knock down drag out in the east.

Agreed, it seems that the top 4 playoff teams and the bottom 4 are pretty separable in the east. Maybe you can discount Ottawa from that group with there recent surge, but Pittsburgh, the Islanders, and Detroit have all been struggling of late and i have a hard time seeing them beat anyone.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Agreed, it seems that the top 4 playoff teams and the bottom 4 are pretty separable in the east. Maybe you can discount Ottawa from that group with there recent surge, but Pittsburgh, the Islanders, and Detroit have all been struggling of late and i have a hard time seeing them beat anyone.

I see the Islanders fans and the media are hanging the coach. So, the Caps would do well to can that bunch in 4 games and not let them take a breath. I don't trust them not to gag on one of the first two games and give them life, though

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
So for tonight's match up between the Islanders and Penguins, we should be rooting for the Pens. Penguins win guarantees second place and home ice advantage in the first round for the Caps. Can't believe I'm actually suggesting rooting for the Pens.:shakehead

Interesting to see how much importance Canadian media and Canadians in general place on having Canadian based teams in the playoffs. They are really going wild over Winnipeg and Calgary already in and the possibility of Ottawa joining them. Not to mention Montreal/Vancouver making it as well.

Capitals40

Nov 14, 2014
Summerville, SC
So for tonight's match up between the Islanders and Penguins, we should be rooting for the Pens. Penguins win guarantees second place and home ice advantage in the first round for the Caps. Can't believe I'm actually suggesting rooting for the Pens.:shakehead

Interesting to see how much importance Canadian media and Canadians in general place on having Canadian based teams in the playoffs. They are really going wild over Winnipeg and Calgary already in and the possibility of Ottawa joining them. Not to mention Montreal/Vancouver making it as well.

Yeah Canada thinks they drive the NHL in profit. NHL Network showed top 20 player jersey sales in the NHL...not one played for a Canadien team.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Canadian media is closer to local than it is our national media. Their national outlets divide up the local broadcasts. On trade deadline day they focus on the Canadian teams.
Recently they have had to be happy with maybe 2 team in. I am sure they are off the hook right now

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
Yeah Canada thinks they drive the NHL in profit. NHL Network showed top 20 player jersey sales in the NHL...not one played for a Canadien team.
Wow. That's a little crazy. I would have thought that Price or Subban would have been up there. I imagine if Toronto ever gets a big name superstar, that would all change.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009

Lets say the Isles lose tonight in any fashion and we lock up 2nd spot.

It will be interesting to see the lineup vs the Rags.

Will Trotz rest players for a meaningless game? Will he go full throtle regardless?

Will he want guys coming off injury to get some game action before the playoffs or will he not want to risk further aggrivation of the injuries?

If we rest guys like Orpik, Ovechkin, Backstrom etc then I'd like to see:

Galiev/Kuz/Bura as a line. Just for fun.

I'd like to see Orlov in. I'd still like to see Holtby start to keep him in game shape but I wonder if the near disaster in Detroit has Trotz taking a step back?

Wilson should be on the 2nd line.

Now...If the Isles win then all bets are off. Caps will be going full force either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad