2014 119th Overall - Ben Thomas

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
http://boltprospects.com/content/2014-draft-4th-round-119th-overall
Strengths:
Assertive, aggressive player at both ends of the ice. Strong upper body with a high compete level. Excellent puck handler with the much coveted righty shot who loves to jump in the play. Loves to jump in the play, but responsible enough not to get caught for odd man rushes the other way. High compete level.

Weaknesses:
Poor backward skater with mediocre lateral agility compounded by poor reads and hockey sense in the defensive third.

Projection:
#5 defenseman

Comparisons:
Cody Franson

Ranked #57 on THN
When the season began, most scouts ranked Thomas ahead of Travis Sanheim, his defensive partner for the Calgary Hitmen. But as the season progressed, Sanheim usurped Thomas in terms of draft status and their roles on the Hitmen and the Canadian team at the under-18s.

Thomas' first pass is usually on the mark, he's a great skater and he has an intriguing offensive bent to his game. But scouts are divided on what kind of player he's capable of being at the next level. Few see him as a defenseman who can play in the top four in the NHL. "There is no doubt in my mind he can fill the five spot," said a scout. "But his tools and his skating ability should elevate him above the standard of the five hole. He often allows himself to play a much more reserved, muss less defined game than his tools would suggest. He does show flashes and hints there is more to him, but often times he doesn't get enough from his tools."

Last edited:

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
We like to take guys who're perceived as Robin to someone else's Batman. Works out well.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Pretty decent pick considering where you got him.

http://whl-from-above.blogspot.ca/

#18 - Ben Thomas - Calgary Hitmen - D - R - 6'2 - 193

Thomas is a solid two-way defenceman for Calgary. He's a smart and calculated player with an ability to move the puck. Defensively he has his bumps and bruises but showed the ability to grow and learn the position more as the season went on. Likes to play physical. He is a smooth skater with good foot work and agility. He plays an aggressive game in regards to joining the rush and did display some questionable decision making at times in this part of his game, but I like his desire to want to make an impact. He could be another one of these players that several NHL teams rate much higher than I do.

Top End NHL Potential: #4 defenceman who can find a role in all situations

Pick Prediction: 3rd round

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
http://www.hitmenhockey.com/article/patient-thomas-strikes-lightning
“I was watching TV and stepped away for a second,” said Thomas, who had seven goals and 31 points in 72 games for the Hitmen this season. “When I stepped away, I got a phone call and I looked back at the TV and my name was up there. I actually saw it first on my computer on NHL.com.”
“I’m very excited,” he said. “I mean, I’ve been waiting here a little while but to see my name come up and to be going to a team like Tampa Bay, I’m really, really excited. It’s a really cool moment for me.

“It doesn’t sound too bad going to Tampa Bay. It’s a nice place to play in. Good weather, good fans, I’m really excited.”
“I had the TV and the laptop going pretty hard,” said Thomas, ranked 86th among North American skaters by Central Scouting heading into draft weekend. “I was watching the NHL Network but they were more talking and not showing the board where the names come up so I had to pull out the computer as well and refresh it and that was a little bit behind as well.

“It was frustrating but I had finally got a call and Tampa Bay told me they drafted me.”
Though he interviewed with vice president and general manager Steve Yzerman at the NHL Scouting Combine in May, Thomas had little idea the Lightning had coveted him.

In fact, Tampa Bay wasn’t even on his short list of teams he expected to go to Saturday.

“I had no idea. I had a few ideas of where I was going to go but Tampa wasn’t one of the teams that were up there but I honestly couldn’t be any more excited than I am right now.”
“I don’t know if it’s just one. It’s everything,” he said. “The phone rang and my heart started racing and then when he said that they had drafted me, it was a sigh of relief.

“It’s just a lot of emotion, a shock to my system.”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad