GDT: 2013 World Junior Championships

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Admittedly didn't watch a ton of the tournament this year, but I gotta say the parity gap is definitely closing, and it's nice to see.

Mazzie

Jan 19, 2006
Southwest Florida
Got up and 7am and made my girls (5 & 2) pancakes. Then we printed out American flags and made USA hats. I watched the game while they ran around like maniacs. I was so proud when the oldest yelled from the next room "Tell me when they score again!" Both of them sat transfixed through the entire awards ceremony (go figure) and tried to sing the anthem by making up words. Good times.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Being a novice on Team Canada, I think they should stop trying to always get this "balance" and just ice the best players. Their skill levels on lines 3-4 would more than likely dominate the other teams, but I guess if those types of players might not be willing to pay the price in certain areas of the ice, they are left no choice.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Got up and 7am and made my girls (5 & 2) pancakes. Then we printed out American flags and made USA hats. I watched the game while they ran around like maniacs. I was so proud when the oldest yelled from the next room "Tell me when they score again!" Both of them sat transfixed through the entire awards ceremony (go figure) and tried to sing the anthem by making up words. Good times.

You sir/ma'am, get the parenting award for the day! :handclap:

mHlnGXt9Xlnn1Qes3Vtn

Dec 9, 2011
Being a novice on Team Canada, I think they should stop trying to always get this "balance" and just ice the best players. Their skill levels on lines 3-4 would more than likely dominate the other teams, but I guess if those types of players might not be willing to pay the price in certain areas of the ice, they are left no choice.

It does seem like they are over-thinking it for a U-20 tourny.

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
this only made me want more hockey.

Exactly my thoughts as well. For now, though, I'll settle for the boys from my country taking gold! I left home for work this morning after the first period and some of the second, and Sweden was up. I was nervous, didn't get to check the scores until after I had lunch around 2 today.

TMac21

Save us Sweeney
May 21, 2003

I agree with this, a lot of redundancy on those bottom 2 lines. The physical/intimidation style doesn't really work in this tournament anymore.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
The GDTs on the World Juniors board were particularly scathing in their criticisms of Malcolm Subban, but what did you guys think of his performances? Congrats on winning the gold, by the way.

Neely08

Mar 9, 2006
North of Boston
I've never seen Tretiak smile so much.

Russia doesn't look like...well...Russia anymore.

Can't get over Russian honor guard saluting our flag. 30 years ago? They may have skipped that. :laugh:

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I've never seen Tretiak smile so much.

Russia doesn't look like...well...Russia anymore.

Can't get over Russian honor guard saluting our flag. 30 years ago? They may have skipped that. :laugh:

Said the same thing to my wife this AM about both things... Tretiak would have headbut those guys in the face not too long ago...and the flag salute??? Yeah right.

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
The GDTs on the World Juniors board were particularly scathing in their criticisms of Malcolm Subban, but what did you guys think of his performances? Congrats on winning the gold, by the way.

Was hardly Canada's problem. Had two really, really good games in the round robin and another very solid one today in the Bronze Medal Game. That's better than pretty much the entire defence and most of the forwards can say. Could he have been a little bit better against the US in the semis? Probably but no goalie was gonna make that a close game. Canadian defence was horrible, like they were most of the tournament, really the story of the tournament for Canada.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

Honestly I had no expectations for Subban in this tournament. When the Bruins drafted him the book was that he was an exceptional athlete for the position, but at the same time he was extremely raw. So i have no expectations to see him even compete for a job for another 4 seasons.

So the fact that he may or may not have given up some bad goals in this tourney is completely meaningless to me.

Last edited:

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012

I actually thought he had a good tournament, not just average or "acceptable". He made a ton of saves he had no business making in pretty much all of the games and most of the goals scored on him weren't his fault. You can't just look at stats, especially in this short of a tournament.

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010
I agree with this, a lot of redundancy on those bottom 2 lines. The physical/intimidation style doesn't really work in this tournament anymore.

No there isn't intimidation, most of the players on the top teams know each other well. In international play/euro rules it just ends up in lots of powerplays given up and suspensions. USA usually understands this and brings a fast team. Especially on the big ice Canada need a faster team, like is Sochi they should bring a track team, guys like Seguin, not grinders.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
What was everyone's thoughts on Dougie? (I likely have missed this convo already haha)

Wasn't that great

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
What was everyone's thoughts on Dougie? (I likely have missed this convo already haha)

Wasn't that great

He played exactly like the Team played, average, which doesn`t have me concerned one bit. There were plenty of "issues" with the team and most of them, IMO, begin with the selection committee and lack of game plan that a very good coach in Spott seemed to struggle with putting together.

This was a 2 line team and the D were so un-Canadian in that they were softer than a pillow. No good ole fashion hard hitting nastiness on the team, first line was slick, second line made nice contributions, still wondering if Spott dressed the 3rd and 4th line:sarcasm:

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour
I didn't get to see the Gold Medal game on Saturday morning, and I hadn't heard the results, so I was pleased as punch to see it being re-aired on NHL Network last night.

Then during a commercial break they play a big ad saying "Congratulations to the US Junior Hockey Team for winning the WJC."

:rant:

:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad