GDT: 2013 World Junior Championships

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Let`s be honest Artemis, truth is, and I`ll get hammered by some here, for many nations, they don`t care about the Tournament either, tis why it`s almost exclusively held in Canada.

You should read/hear all the BS and absolutely ridiculous articles/statements about the travesty that is the 2013 WJHC team representing this country.....mind boggling

Here`s a team/country that has had it`s 14 year streak of earning a medal of any colour stopped and you`d think this is the most important thing going on right now.

The game at this level is beautiful, although I will say this hasn`t been, IMO, the most entertaining Tournament in comparison to the many I have watched and been fortunate to attend in person but it`s still a great Tournament.

I love the parity, I love other nations who have admittedly adopted many of the Hockey Canada approaches to development of the Junior game and applied it to their programs and now we see a Tournament where yearly, 4-6 teams could walk away with the Gold and it`s great.

These kids will return here empty handed, and be handed their lunch by far too many and it`s disgusting. Gotta wonder how many "fans" have EVER worked under the pressure these kids do, every December, in an attempt to satisfy the unrealistic expectations this nation puts on them??

These kids deserve nothing but a big Thank You and they get if from me in spite of the disappointing results.

Now, Go USA!!

Well said. It's a great tourney to watch, and it should be a fun experience for the kids. It's not World War III.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I'm disappointed we lost to the Russian's, especially because it would of been nice to beat them on home ice.

Proud of the boys though, disappointed in their attitudes when the Russians were shacking hands. That's when they have to stand proud like men.

One message to Ryan Murphy though. It's a contact sport, it's okay to hit people.

Man, was about to comment on that but thought maybe it would appear as though I was playing the blame game, thanx for stepping in for me;)

Softest TC D-man, softest Team I have seen in years

Used to be, not long ago, where lines 1 through 4 were more than willing to play a skilled but physical game, not sure where or when the identity has changed but it sure has in the last few years, tick tack hockey

thegodfather

Dec 6, 2005
Stratford, Ontario
Man, was about to comment on that but thought maybe it would appear as though I was playing the blame game, thanx for stepping in for me;)

Used to be, not long ago, where lines 1 through 4 were more than willing to play a skilled but physical game, not sure where or when the identity has changed but it sure has in the last few years, tick tack hockey

Not a problem Andrew, I don't mind playing the blame game.

These guys may be just teenagers but they also want to be professional hockey players and along with that comes being blamed for mistakes.

But for me the biggest blame has to go to Spott.

I had no problem with Murphy being on this team, big ice surface and he has some fantastic speed, yet he was on the ice with guys who could not skate with him.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
This is a looooooong awards presentation to sit through if you just lost.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
khoklachev buried huberdeau after getting his face whitewashed into the ice. took a penalty for it but thats what i like to see out of a bruins prospect. standing up for himself and not allowing himself to be bullied.

Rookie Chargers

Sep 17, 2005
Quebec

The major penalties and suspensions didn't help.

I set my Ipod's alarm so I can watch TC. By the time I did roll out of bed and opened the TV it was 3-1.

I stuck around to watch the rest with my K-cups.

Beating the Russians because it was in their country can't be for my team to win. Unless my team would be forced to play a game even though their was no way for them to win a medal.

I enjoyed the games I watched, I missed the US game. :)

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
khoklachev buried huberdeau after getting his face whitewashed into the ice. took a penalty for it but thats what i like to see out of a bruins prospect. standing up for himself and not allowing himself to be bullied.

A Russian sticking up for himself? I guess you know he's a Bruin. :sarcasm:

It's too bad Grzelyck couldn't play, but USA had a hell of a tournament. Congrats!

Paddington

Mar 8, 2011
Toronto
The problem is Shadow, it`s NOT just the minority of fans here, way too many expect nothing less than Gold which is ludicrous. I love this tournament now more than ever due to the parity, due to other countries who now pose more than legit threats to "our game" and I use that term exceptionally loosely.

I`m hoping one day Hockey Canada takes their heads out of the sand and recognizes that THEY, not the players picked, need to take their heads out of the sand when it comes to selections

I don't think there is anything wrong with expecting to win gold every year. Before last year, I believe Canada was in the finals 10 years in a row, or something stupid like that. This is the first time since '98 that they didn't receive a medal. You can see why expectations are high. Like I said, it's ok to expect to win but fans have to understand that it's not always going to happen. The Russians have always been on par and the US has joined them in the last decade or so. Then you look at the smaller teams like Switzerland and see that the gap is closing. This tournament has always been a place for Canadians to puff out their chests and show that we're dominant at something. Well, the reality is that even though Canada still produces the best players they cannot dominate like they did in the past.

Also, congrats to the US. They were the best TEAM in the tournament and deservedly won gold.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad