GDT: 2013 WJC's Thread II

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
He is an absolute buffoon. Hockey Canada by that same token is ****ing Pejorative Slured for hiring him in the first place. Pretty stupid group of individuals all around. That is embarrassing and unacceptable when Canada doesn't even medal in a lockout year with a supposedly stacked team. Got put in their place.

I said we'd be pining for the days of Stan Butler once this tournament was over.

At least Butler medalled.

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton
I'm glad to see people slamming Spott today. He's easily the worst coach that Canada has ever had in this tournament. He didn't even have the guts to stick with the goaltender that he anointed the starter for a friggin medal game.

Nugent-Hopkins didn't have a good game against the Americans but 15 points? Nobody can hang this on him When's the last time a guy led the tournament in scoring and didn't medal? This was weak, weak team.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I'm glad to see people slamming Spott today. He's easily the worst coach that Canada has ever had in this tournament. He didn't even have the guts to stick with the goaltender that he anointed the starter for a friggin medal game.

Nugent-Hopkins didn't have a good game against the Americans but 15 points? Nobody can hang this on him When's the last time a guy led the tournament in scoring and didn't medal? This was weak, weak team.

I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt when he was selected, but once I saw the player selections and how the team played in the exhibition games, I knew it was over.

The team had no identity, and in the end he was outcoached by a Russian guy who was probably the second worst coach in the tournament...

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton
I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt when he was selected, but once I saw the player selections and how the team played in the exhibition games, I knew it was over.

The team had no identity, and in the end he was outcoached by a Russian guy who was probably the second worst coach in the tournament...
A Prendergast team. They didn't know if they were a finesse club, if they were a meat and potatoes grind it out team, they didn't know what their strength was on the back end (lol Murphy) etc. A complete and utter mess.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
A Prendergast team. They didn't know if they were a finesse club, if they were a meat and potatoes grind it out team, they didn't know what their strength was on the back end (lol Murphy) etc. A complete and utter mess.

Actually now that I think about it they did have a identity:

Slow and undisciplined.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
He can take solace in the fact that this was the worst team assembled in a long, long time.

Half the roster was useless.

Selecting guys like Lipon and Murphy were a big mistake. Then when you add in how ineffective guys like Strome, Huberdeau and Hamilton were, you basically had only three players going at any one time: Drouin, RNH and Schifele. At least Ritchie and Jenner played better than expected.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Here are the players that had a good tournament for Canada:

RNH
Schifele
Drouin
Harrington
Ouellet

That's basically one hand.

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton
Actually now that I think about it they did have a identity:

Slow and undisciplined.
They couldn't win face-offs either and that's one area where the Nuge can take some heat.

Half the roster was useless.

Selecting guys like Lipon and Murphy were a big mistake. Then when you add in how ineffective guys like Strome, Huberdeau and Hamilton were, you basically had only three players going at any one time: Drouin, RNH and Schifele. At least Ritchie and Jenner played better than expected.
Huberdeau's play really surprised me. What happened to the dynamic player from the Q? My initial reaction was "injury?" but I don't think so. He was just awful and brought nothing to either of the first two lines.

Anyway, as the Americans showed, it all starts from the defense.

Cam98

Jun 24, 2009
Changes needed from the top all the way to bottom now. Bring back Brent Sutter as coach also.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Thanks a lot RNH for letting our medal winning streak end !!
NHL star my foot!

<sarcasm>

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
I also blame TSN. These kids are feeling too much pressure these days. If there's one thing I'm not sad about this loss, it helps deflate all the media hype. A lesson to learn for future years? Maybe. But I doubt it will be learned.

Eytinge

Jul 25, 2009
I also blame TSN. These kids are feeling too much pressure these days. If there's one thing I'm not sad about this loss, it helps deflate all the media hype. A lesson to learn for future years? Maybe. But I doubt it will be learned.

TSN is disgraceful with their coverage of the WJs. I hate the way they hype up these kids and then tear them down. Its disturbing.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Can't we do something like Miracle on Ice where we select the team way before the world juniors and have them play in different exhibitions as a team?

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
They crapped the bed in the USA game and played ok against the Russians. IMO they played one bad game in the tourney and they could easily have won the bronze with a puck hitting the post and going in instead of staying out. Grigorenko was johnny on the spot to save the game in OT... without that we'd be talking about "bronze aint all that bad."

Other teams want it just as bad and the Canadians just didn't have it when it counted the most... lack of heart? Maybe. Thinking they were collectively by far the most talented team and not playing balls to the wall hard out to put that talent to full use? Maybe.

You can make lots of excuses and place blame everywhere and complain how they were expected to do better with all that talent but when it's a one-game winner-take-all format... the "best" teams don't always come out in top in that environment. It's the team that wants it the most on the day and that plays up to and beyond their abilities. USA did that and Russia did that (barely).

Canada beat both the USA and Russia earlier but of course all we look at is when the medal is on the line... as it should be, but that doesn't mean the team was *******.

Binnington let in a couple softies, Murphy made a big mistake.... other key players weren't as good as expected outside the PP. Overall just not quite good enough to win on the day. I still don't think it's a massive collapse. They came 4th... not 10th.

No excuses this year but I fully expect the team to be right back in the gold medal game again next year and they'll likely use this to help fuel their hunger next time. A 14 year medal streak ends... next year it begins again.

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton
I'm getting a kick out of the NHL Twitter feed pimpin the US's gold medal win. If any other country had won the feed would be silent. Gotta sell da game, right Gary?

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009

TSN is disgraceful with their coverage of the WJs. I hate the way they hype up these kids and then tear them down. Its disturbing.

thank you guys. I agree 1000%. it's disgusting. Not THAT many people care to begin with. The more I watch TSN, the more it pisses me off, the more bush league and one trick pony-esque they seem. Stupid is all.

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton
I started despising TSN around 2007. Duthie had a lot of fun at the Oilers' expense that season and never missed an opportunity to mention (on the air) that Edmonton was an undesirable place to play.

Eytinge

Jul 25, 2009
thank you guys. I agree 1000%. it's disgusting. Not THAT many people care to begin with. The more I watch TSN, the more it pisses me off, the more bush league and one trick pony-esque they seem. Stupid is all.
When did TSN go so crazy with their WJ coverage? Seems like during the Eberle years they started with the insane day to day coverage. They act like its the World fricking Cup of Soccer or something. Its a tourny with a bunch of teenagers. Chill TSN.

I feel like winning gold 5 years is a row made the media arrogant that Canada was unbeatable. Heck, I'm glad to see the other countries making this a real tourny. Watching Canada breeze to a Gold medal year in and year out wouldn't be good for the sport as a whole.
I started despising TSN around 2007. Duthie had a lot of fun at the Oilers' expense that season and never missed an opportunity to mention (on the air) that Edmonton was an undesirable place to play.
Duthie does seem to have some sort of hidden hate for the Oilers. A lot of guys at TSN do. And they get most of their talent from out here too. :laugh::shakehead

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton
I didn't know where to post this so I'll just post it here.

Taylor Hall ‏@hallsy04
Hey @RNH_93 hope u r having a nice rest at home after playing 8 games in a mth. @ebs_14 and I will grind out 3 games in 2.5 days. C u soon

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins ‏@RNH_93
@hallsy04 @ebs_14 try a 34 hour travel day. Cute group tweet #wuss*

:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->