GDT: 2013 WJC's Thread II

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
That Nichushkin kid was doing that all tournament. 6'4 with moves like that...I don't know the 2013 draft at all, but he looks like he'll be up there.

He also signed a contract for two seasons in the KHL but he is filled with potential, definitely worth the risk and the development in the KHL will only solidify his game. He might be up there with Jones and Mackinnon at the end of the season.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Can't say I'm too suprised with the results, Canada's suspect defense and terrible coaching were evident in the early games of the tournament as well. Just glad RNH had a decent tourny, and Yakupov redeemed himself a bit in the final 2 games.

It's too bad Don Cherry still has a platform in this country to spout his antiquated and xenophobic beliefs though,. It's a short, competitive tournament, mistakes are magnified, and canada made many of them right from the start of selection camp. The biggest of which is hiring Kevin Predergast in any capacity related to "assessing talent", a now mutli-tournament mistake hanging a cloud over the entire program. The Canadian program is getting in it's own way that is why they are losing, not some silly cold war era bullsh*t about nationalistic development programs.

Also, Phillip Danault is an utter idiot. I'll agree with anyone that taunting an opponent after you've just beaten them is poor sportsmanship, but threatening to Marty McSorley someone from the bench because they are saying hurtful things to you? That is in the realm of pathetic.

Johnny McBravo

Hello Connor
May 28, 2010
Canada
Ryan Murphy played like dog **** this whole tourney. Doesn't surprise me that his defensive play leads to the winning goal...

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Ryan Murphy played like dog **** this whole tourney. Doesn't surprise me that his defensive play leads to the winning goal...

should have reunited Dumba with the Nuge, enough offensive defenceman and he barely contributed.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
should have reunited Dumba with the Nuge, enough offensive defenceman and he barely contributed.

Dumba's been playing worse than Murphy. No Canadian defenseman got schooled harder than he did during the Super Series.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Dumba's been playing worse than Murphy. No Canadian defenseman got schooled harder than he did during the Super Series.

worse than Murphy? I wasn't paying attention to Dumba I guess. I just want some more defensive defencman on the team I guess.

Any opinions on the coaching? possibly bad chemistry? You always have to mix and match prior.

Groucho

Tier 1 Fan
Aug 17, 2010
Displaced
I wasn't too impressed with Reinhart's play either, I thought he would have a better tourney. Same can be said of Dougie Hamilton.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
RNH may not have had any points in the USA game but he most definitely showed up. He and Gibson were the clear stars of the event for me. He was also Team Canada's MVP by a country mile.

Yakupov ends up with 3 goals and 8 points. He could have been better of course, but what he did show is that even when things are not going well if you give him the slightest bit of room he may well make you pay.

It is sort of funny that in a bad tournament for Yakupov he still finishes tied for the lead in points on the Russian team. Grigorenko who looked great at times and was named one of the 3 best for Russia in the tournament finished with 2 fewer points. Not obviously points aren't anything but it is nice that we have a guy here who can not be at his best and still be better than anyone else on his team statistically. Yes I am spinning it to be more positive, but oh well, might as well try and find the bright spot in a 4th place finish for Canada.

This tournament was almost exactly how I thought it would go for RNH. He doesn't take over really at any point but at the end of the tournament he is way out in front in the scoring. 6 points more than the next closest Canadian and ahead of the 3 Fins who lit it up in the relegation rounds.

AK Dandyman

Sep 12, 2008
Unfortunately, the bad vibe before the start of the tourney about Spott was proven completely correct. He absolutely messed up the team.

- Started with bad player selections. Playing favorites to OHL players showed a complete lack of professionalism.
- Losing control and confusing his young players when he blamed officiating for obvious late/bad hits instead of teaching the players accountability and proper way to play physically.
- Kept playing his own guy, Ryan "Offenseman" Murphy.
- Mishandled the goaltenders. Said to go all the way with Subban but then played Binnington in the medal game. It's like telling the players this Bronze medal game is not important. Completely wrong message to the players. And it wasn't Subban's fault or him playing badly in the American's game. Binnington has not started a game since Dec 8, almost a month ago and he is supposed to save the day!?

Spott was trying to make a great coaching move in his own mind to go with Binnington, but the flip flopping actually proved his incompetence.

Like I said before the tournament, and I usually don't say things like that about a coach especially not knowing much about him, but every time he talked, I just felt like he's a scam. May be scam was the bad choice of word. I am sure we've all met that guy who talked like he knows everything, but after 5 min of him talking you know he is full of bs, a dumb arse and a phony.

And Murphy the Offensive Defenseman. Well, let's take the word defense out and call him an "Offense man". He could neither defend physical forwards nor skilled/speedy forwards, so what's the point of having a guy like that in the team as a defenseman if the only time he can contribute is on the PP? For every one chance Murphy created, he gave up 3 chances to the other team to score on us. If Murphy had problem defending players younger than him in a junior tourney, he's gonna get destroyed in the NHL. There may be very few past successful cases, but he should consider turning into a forward as he may have a better career as a forward in the NHL if he's gonna have one.

When's the last time Russia had better goaltending tandem than Canada? Vasilevski was as good or better than Subban, and Makarov was as good and quite a bit better than Binnington.

Good for Ufa the small town Russia, winning a medal game even being a bronze is great for them.

RNH was brilliant. 15 pts on Canada's 27 goals. Without him, this team is really very mediocre.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
- Too many offensive defensemen
- Lack of size
- Lack of forecheck
- mediocre goaltending
- lack of secondary scoring

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

Dumba is every bit as bad as Murphy defensively. Combined niether will see a full season in the NHL.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
- Too many offensive defensemen -(Only one too many Murphy)
- Lack of size -(Not true at all)
- Lack of forecheck -(Not true at all)
- mediocre goaltending -(Very True)
- lack of secondary scoring -(Should not have been but yes

People are really going over the top on how bad Canada was. As 60 minutes of Hockey goes for the last 6 games they clearly were the best team except for one game against the US.

Canada was the far better team in the bronze metal game. We just had horrible goaltending. And Murphy.

For the US game that wasn`t a lack of talent. It wasn`t even about some bad selections. Although goaltending was bad IMO in that one. The whole team choked. Everyone. From top to bottom. Coaching out. Huge, very obvious choke. They got nervous. They fogot how to play hockey. It happens.

Last edited:

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
This is a pretty ridiculous thing to say.

lol. I live in Red Deer and have been watching hockey for almost 30 years.

Dumba is a watered down far less talented version of Phaneuf. Petrovic is the only reason Dumba went as high in the draft as he did.

Do you love watching Peckam, Plante, or Tuebert completley ignore the puck and skate in for a hit and end up out of position... typicaly costing a penalty or a goal? Cause thats what you got in spades with Dumba. Much better skater than all the above but none of the size either.

Murphy could surprise me but I doubt it. Bad stick positioning. Too short a stick, bad in the lanes, bad covereage, too small, loses every battle for the puck against 19 year old or younger kids...To top it off his offense is overrated as well. Does not look good enough to translate into the NHL. Certainly not enough to offset his other weaknessess.

I would never want either of those guys on the OIlers... Ever.

Towmater14

Sep 17, 2005
OIL COUNTRY
I am not sure if this has been mentioned or even if anybody noticed, but the calls on Yakupov's goals today were really annoying. They were both great plays by the other players and "easy tap ins" for Yakupov.

According to them

Oct 15, 2008
lol. I live in Red Deer and have been watching hockey for almost 30 years.

Dumba is a watered down far less talented version of Phaneuf. Petrovic is the only reason Dumba went as high in the draft as he did.

Do you love watching Peckam, Plante, or Tuebert completley ignore the puck and skate in for a hit and end up out of position... typicaly costing a penalty or a goal? Cause thats what you got in spades with Dumba. Much better skater than all the above but none of the size either.

Murphy could surprise me but I doubt it. Bad stick positioning. Too short a stick, bad in the lanes, bad covereage, too small, loses every battle for the puck against 19 year old or younger kids...To top it off his offense is overrated as well. Does not look good enough to translate into the NHL. Certainly not enough to offset his other weaknessess.

I would never want either of those guys on the OIlers... Ever.

Scott Ferguson
MAB
Cory Cross
Sean Brown
Jason Strudwick
Corey Potter

That is just a small list of players who have played full seasons in the NHL. Some of them had multiple seasons, most of them in fact.

You are going to seriously sit there and say that neither Dumba nor Murphy will have one complete season between them?

Ill take that bet. Name the stakes.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Dumba is every bit as bad as Murphy defensively. Combined niether will see a full season in the NHL.

This is a pretty ridiculous thing to say.

Agreed 100% on that being ridiculous. Do I want them on the Oilers? not really. We have a WAY better version of what they do in Schultz (plus he can play in his own end). That said, both will easily see their fair share of time in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->