2013 WJC Review: Despite strong start, Slovakia performs pretty much as expected

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005

On the first day of tournament play at the 2013 World Junior Championship, Slovakia fell just short of what might have been the tournament’s biggest sensation when it turned around a 2-0 Russian lead to force the game to overtime, where Russian defenseman Albert Yarullin scored on a power play goal to decide it, 3-2.

This nonetheless gave Slovakia a huge and unexpected point, as well as some obvious wind under their wings as they jumped out to a 3-1 lead against Team Canada after 30 minutes of play in their second game of the tourney. At this point, it was looking like Slovakia could be much more to reckon with than anyone had initially thought, but the Canadians’ crème-de-la-crème made its way to the surface, seeing the red, white and black come back with five unanswered goals.… read more

More...

Harv

R.I.P. Pavol.
Dec 30, 2007
Nice feature Chapin.

One thing I'm unsure about...

You used the word ''Slovakian'' a few times. I'm under the impression the official English name of Slovakia is "Slovak Republic." Therefore, "Slovak" is the correct adjective to use.

I don't understand why we people use the word ''Slovakian'' all the time but you'll never see ''Czechian''. Same rules though. Czech and Slovak Republics.

Maybe you can explain this?

ebis

Dec 10, 2012
Czech Republic
Nice feature Chapin.

One thing I'm unsure about...

You used the word ''Slovakian'' a few times. I'm under the impression the official English name of Slovakia is "Slovak Republic." Therefore, "Slovak" is the correct adjective to use.

I don't understand why we people use the word ''Slovakian'' all the time but you'll never see ''Czechian''. Same rules though. Czech and Slovak Republics.

Maybe you can explain this?

As far as I know, only "Slovak" is correct. On the other hand, we have tasmanian devil for example, so it is strange. Maybe only words with "k" sound get shortened, like Czechia -> Czech.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->