2013 Winter Classic: Hosted by Wings? Sharks or Toronto Involved?

Status
Not open for further replies.

justwinbaby2012

Oct 4, 2011
30min From The Tank
Exactly. Wings biggest rival right now, outside of its division, is easily the Sharks. Probably the premier rivalry in the NHL that isn't a divisional rivalry (yes, IMHO, it's bigger than Pens/Caps which is more media driven than actual play on the ice driven) Sharks/Wings at the Big House makes tons of sense. Plenty of hatred and history (recent and past) between the teams.

P.S. I have a funny feeling that NBC is airing Sharks at Wings this year as a test for a potential WC. I think if they like the ratings for that game (both national and the local markets of the teams), they'll be more open to Sharks at Wings at the Big House. I just hope the Bay Area will tune in for that Sharks/Wings NBC game this season at 9:30am PT for the sake of seeing this awesome WC matchup.

Genius absolutely genius!

:sharks vs :wings

EbencoyE

Nov 26, 2006
Is this serious? Maryland, DC and Virginia are all southern states. DC is a southern city. It is not northeast, that is Washington Post Magazine propaganda.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_United_States

Is THIS serious? What are you Canadian or something? Maryland and Delaware SOUTHERN states? rofl

not that this is relevant in any way though. if Las Vegas can host an outdoor game without problem in 80 degree weather, I don't see why DC couldn't

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
I want Chicago vs Minnesota at Target Field. TCF would have been nice, but honestly parking would be such an epic disaster I wouldn't even know what to say. Tie in Target Field is right off of 1st ave where all the bars and local eateries are within walking distance. The only significant plus you can make for TCF Field is tailgating would be pretty epic.

If they are giving it to Washington, let Tampa come up and play it. Seriously I'm tired of it just being team from the Megapolis at this point...its ruining it IMO.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I want Chicago vs Minnesota at Target Field. TCF would have been nice, but honestly parking would be such an epic disaster I wouldn't even know what to say. Tie in Target Field is right off of 1st ave where all the bars and local eateries are within walking distance. The only significant plus you can make for TCF Field is tailgating would be pretty epic.

If they are giving it to Washington, let Tampa come up and play it. Seriously I'm tired of it just being team from the Megapolis at this point...its ruining it IMO.

Is Target Field "winter proof"? I ask this in regards to TCF and all the work it had to do to host the Vikings game. Logistics aside, I think Minnesota would be a great host.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Exactly. Wings biggest rival right now, outside of its division, is easily the Sharks. Probably the premier rivalry in the NHL that isn't a divisional rivalry (yes, IMHO, it's bigger than Pens/Caps which is more media driven than actual play on the ice driven) Sharks/Wings at the Big House makes tons of sense. Plenty of hatred and history (recent and past) between the teams.

P.S. I have a funny feeling that NBC is airing Sharks at Wings this year as a test for a potential WC. I think if they like the ratings for that game (both national and the local markets of the teams), they'll be more open to Sharks at Wings at the Big House. I just hope the Bay Area will tune in for that Sharks/Wings NBC game this season at 9:30am PT for the sake of seeing this awesome WC matchup.

That was done so that NBC can flex it to VS at night as long as both teams remain as advertised. You can only be on national TV a number of times per season, and Detroit is already locked into the first 2 NBC games that aren't the Winter Classic. They did the same thing with a later game where the Kings and Blackhawks are scheduled for NBC, but the other game is Pittsburgh and Boston. Unless anything has changed, NBC is adamant that they won't put on 9:30am local start times for teams out west. If there's a team from out west that they'll "test" they'll pick LA first because they're LA.

RipCityPuckers

Jun 16, 2007
Toronto
am i crazy or has there not been one at Yankee stadium yet......uhhh why the **** not?

If the Isles start playing decent again like people are expecting then a Rangers vs. Isles game at Yankee stadium would be absolutely crazy in terms of atmosphere.

Even if the Isles are crap you could still do the Devils and have an awesome game/atmosphere as well

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
am i crazy or has there not been one at Yankee stadium yet......uhhh why the **** not?

Because there is a college football bowl game (Pinstripe Bowl) played there on Dec 30 - through 2013.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs

pinstripe-bowl-betting.png

alg_stadium.jpg

RipCityPuckers

Jun 16, 2007
Toronto
yeah **** I remembered about that stupid bowl game after my post

still think there needs to be one in the new jersey/new york area

Play it at citi field or even the new meadowlands

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
yeah **** I remembered about that stupid bowl game after my post

still think there needs to be one in the new jersey/new york area

Play it at citi field or even the new meadowlands

Don't think anyone wants to get involved with the Mets, and kind of hard to schedule a game around a facility that hosts two NFL teams.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Is Target Field "winter proof"? I ask this in regards to TCF and all the work it had to do to host the Vikings game. Logistics aside, I think Minnesota would be a great host.

Well they winter proof it, but it is namely because nothing else uses the stadium but the Twins...TCF Field does more than just the football team. However, there is one significant reason why I say Target Field as well...it has heaters built into the overhangs in case they ever played ball late into October when it starts to dip into the 30's here. So its kind of a huge plus when the last three New Years Day's here have been below zero not including the windchill. They also play the outdoor games out in Lake Calhoun which isn't that far away either.

jetsfan85*

2015 i say winnipeg hosts it with the new stadium being only 3 years old at that point, would be a great venue for that!

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Heritage Classic, guy.

Agreed. The Winter Classic is an NHL/NBC partnership, and there's no way on earth that NBC would want to host it at a Canadian venue.

Heck, I've got a hard time believing that they'd want to even have a Canadian team in the Winter Classic, with the possible exceptions of Montreal @ Boston and Vancouver @ Chicago if they were really in need of variety....

Brodie

the dream of the 90s is alive in Detroit
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
As much as I'd like to see it (and there have been rumors of mutual interest between U-M and the Wings for a couple of years), most of my Michigan friends would be outraged by a Winter Classic being played there.

Fehr Time*

2015 i say winnipeg hosts it with the new stadium being only 3 years old at that point, would be a great venue for that!

I don't get the sense that the league is all that interested in having outdoor games in Canada. They probably feel it cheapens the overall brand. The Winter Classic is what counts anyways. I think they let Calgary have one just so the complaining from Canada would die down for the time being.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
It's about getting a big national audience. Wild/Stars are two of weaker draws in the league at the moment.

Which is sadly the reason we will not see it West of the Mississippi River for quite some time I'm afraid. Hell, the only reason I think Chicago got it was its a city of 4,000,000+ and Detroit is one of the largest fanbases of any NHL team in the United States. That is why I'm not a fan of the Winter Classic at all. They preach it as bringing the game back to its roots and for the fans, yet its not including some of the states where the sport is essentially a religion the way football is in Texas. The only way Minnesota gets it is if Chicago came here at this point. And I personally don't see them goin West any time soon because NBC wants the Eastern Market, they could give two-shiz about the West Coast since by the time would be broadcasted it would most likely interfere with the Rose Bowl.

2013 - Tampa v. Washington
2014 - Jersey v. Rangers
2015 - St. Louis/Avs v. Wings

Would be my guesses, and even the Avs is a stretch.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
I don't get the sense that the league is all that interested in having outdoor games in Canada. They probably feel it cheapens the overall brand. The Winter Classic is what counts anyways. I think they let Calgary have one just so the complaining from Canada would die down for the time being.

They don't want it in Canada because you simply don't have the population to drive a reason for it. No one in the United States outside of those who care about hockey want to watch Toronto or Ottawa play a game, even against Pittsburgh or Washington.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->