U20: 2013 SUBWAY® Super Series Hosts

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Apparently Russia is bringing it's B team, and considering the number of U-20s scattered across NA it's a C team. Gonna be a daunting tournament for us fans, who love this early pre WJC battles.:shakehead

So what? I'm getting popcorn if CHL loses a game. I mean Canada's depth is supposed to be epic. If they lose to the russian C-team there are questions to answer there. Looks like Russia will have no Nichushkin or Zadorov, basically not a single player outside the CHL Russians which are few this year who caught anybody's eye in NA yet. I'm totally pullig for those guys to gel as a team and handle those future and past 1st rounders a bloody nose.

Last edited:

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
So what? I'm getting popcorn if CHL loses a game. I mean Canada's depth is supposed to be epic. If they lose to the russian C-team there are questions to answer there. Looks like Russia will have no Nichushkin or Zadorov, basically not a single player outside the CHL Russians which are few this year who caught anybody's eye in NA yet. I'm totally pullig for those guys to gel as a team and handle those future and past 1st rounders a bloody nose.

that's all bravada and stuff, now look at the results before Bragin started bringing the b+ teams

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
that's all bravada and stuff, now look at the results before Bragin started bringing the b+ teams

I have a question for you. What's the worth of the results of basically one birth year players? It's junior hockey. A lot of them will end up pretty middle of the pack players somewhere in the KHL. Look at Golubev. He has WJC gold medal in his trophy case. Right now he's a decent 4th liner(or healthy scratch) for AKBars and that's his ceiling.

The only thing having true worth througout junior hockey is having a look at player's development, single player's developmnt more than the team's results. Winning is a nice bonus, but I'd rather have a couple of real future stars on a team that finishes 4th than a team that wins it with team effort, but won't produce some future back bone players for the olympic national team, but just a bunch of decent 2nd to 3rd liners.

The depth in a birth year on the other hand is a good indication for the state of things. If our C-team can hold it's ground in the SSS I'm optimistic about our fututre.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
I have a question for you. What's the worth of the results of basically one birth year players? It's junior hockey. A lot of them will end up pretty middle of the pack players somewhere in the KHL. Look at Golubev. He has WJC gold medal in his trophy case. Right now he's a decent 4th liner(or healthy scratch) for AKBars and that's his ceiling.

The only thing having true worth througout junior hockey is having a look at player's development, single player's developmnt more than the team's results. Winning is a nice bonus, but I'd rather have a couple of real future stars on a team that finishes 4th than a team that wins it with team effort, but won't produce some future back bone players for the olympic national team, but just a bunch of decent 2nd to 3rd liners.

The depth in a birth year on the other hand is a good indication for the state of things. If our C-team can hold it's ground in the SSS I'm optimistic about our fututre.

I agree with what you are saying, but SSS is much more important for Russia, than for CHL. If we begin bringing poor teams there will be a ton of teams in the pipeline:Swiss, Swe, USA to take our spot. The fact that our top players ( some of them as Varnakov admits have never face the NA style on NA box) will not get the opportunity to play NA style, to face the intensity that is brought throughout the game. It really teaches a young player a lot (granted he is willing to learn).
Plus, it's a great tournament to watch.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I agree with what you are saying, but SSS is much more important for Russia, than for CHL. If we begin bringing poor teams there will be a ton of teams in the pipeline:Swiss, Swe, USA to take our spot. The fact that our top players ( some of them as Varnakov admits have never face the NA style on NA box) will not get the opportunity to play NA style, to face the intensity that is brought throughout the game. It really teaches a young player a lot (granted he is willing to learn).
Plus, it's a great tournament to watch.

Well, the reason for this is the KHL. The KHL obviously gives young players roster spots. You can't possibly underestimate the experience and the intensity of hockey with pros compared to whatever great intensity of a short tournament on a small rink but against juniors. We have 14 players in the KHL according to Varnakov Sr.. I do see it as a positive , that we have 14! U20 players capable of being on a KHL team regularily.

Yes, SSS is great to watch and I also like the format, but I will enjoy our team regardless of the omissions.

btw, here's Varnakov's team minus the CHLers:

G: Vasya, Ustinsky, Shesterkin

units: Slepyshev – Barabanov – Bucha, Mironov – Bereglazov
Zhafyarov – Osnovin – Skladnichenko, Lyubushkin – Tryamkin;
Voronin – Busarov – Shiksatdarov, Maslov – Vasil'ev;
Gimatov – Yakimov – Khlopotov, Yudin – Koryagin;
Tkachev – Petrakov – Baskov, Tikhonov – Ogurtsov;

Could add Svechnikov who is currently with the U18 team.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
I wanna see how barabanov looks against bigger guys, he's in the VHL, I ssume they'd let him go? but this first line looks quite intriguing.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Preliminary roster for SSS anoounced by Varnakov Sr.

http://www.sports.ru/hockey/154319886.html

Here's the English version from another thread:

G
Ivan Nalimov
Igor Shestyorkin

D
Alexei Bereglazov
Kirill Vorobev
Vladislav Gavrikov
Pavel Koledov
Kirill Maslov
Rushan Rafikov
Mark Skutar
Mikhail Tikhonov

FW
Alexandr Barabanov
Alexei Baskov
Georgy Busarov
Vladimir Butuzov
Kirill Voronin
Eduard Gimatov
Sergei Kuptsov
Ivan Petrakov
Igor Rudenkov
Nikolai Skladnichenko
Vladimir Tkachev
Ildar Shiksatdarov

Additions to the roster for the games with the respective league teams:

for the games Vs. WHL:
FW
Nikita Scherbak
Alexander Delnov
D
Rinat Valiyev

for the games Vs. OHL:
FW
Sergei Tolchinsky
Nikolai Goldobin
D
Alexander Mikulovich

for the games Vs. QMJHL:
FW
Ivan Barbashev
Valentin Zykov
Denis Gorbunov
D
Viktor Baldayev

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Here's the English version from another thread:

G
Ivan Nalimov
Igor Shestyorkin

D
Alexei Bereglazov
Kirill Vorobev
Vladislav Gavrikov
Pavel Koledov
Kirill Maslov
Rushan Rafikov
Mark Skutar
Mikhail Tikhonov

FW
Alexandr Barabanov
Alexei Baskov
Georgy Busarov
Vladimir Butuzov
Kirill Voronin
Eduard Gimatov
Sergei Kuptsov
Ivan Petrakov
Igor Rudenkov
Nikolai Skladnichenko
Vladimir Tkachev
Ildar Shiksatdarov

Additions to the roster for the games with the respective league teams:

for the games Vs. WHL:
FW
Nikita Scherbak
Alexander Delnov
D
Rinat Valiyev

for the games Vs. OHL:
FW
Sergei Tolchinsky
Nikolai Goldobin
D
Alexander Mikulovich

for the games Vs. QMJHL:
FW
Ivan Barbashev
Valentin Zykov
Denis Gorbunov
D
Viktor Baldayev

pending the Zadorov decision by Buffalo.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
It's official. Zadorov to London and thus to WJC probably. Is there even a possibility to put him on the SSS roster?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad