2013 OHL Final

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
The other Dale H :) will have gave his players the standard fourth game is the hardest, theyre not goin to lay down ect, ect.... Do the Barrie players take it to heart (i think they do- theyve listened so far) and can London do anyhting about it?

Like I said eralier, this is the first elimination game(s) the Knights will have played in 2 years. Im real interested in how they respond.
Not going to make any predictions as Ive had this series and the games wrong, save for our lone W and that went to OT. Just going to go and enjoy the game and see what happens.

krazy kanuck

Dec 24, 2008
Alberta
No Camara and a hobbled Hall means the Colts will be hard pressed to close this out. The favored Knights are back to being the favorites. Those who don't watch the Colts often always talk about shutting down MS19, but who had the apples on all of those 3rd period goals the other night? It's no coincidence that when Hall is missing MS19 isn't as effective. The suspension is a bit of a joke...I wouldn't have suspended for that...this is so much tamer than the hit in game 2 that I would have suspended for...I guess the outcome is the same.

Colts have only lost a handful of games at home all season, hopefully they can get it done but is it ever going to be a mountain to climb. The guys who do play are going to have to be perfect. I think Yuill in for Webster will help. I suppose one potential positive is that the Hamburglar has had his "human night" and he doesn't have many of those. Patterson was average last night and if Niederberger had been his usual self (i.e. stopped Horvat on the break) this would be over.

krazy kanuck

Dec 24, 2008
Alberta
Well, it's kind of odd watching this final. I expected the Colts to lose going in, and at the start of this series I was far more at accepting of that outcome than I was after the 2010 loss. I think there are all sorts of reasons for that, in 2010 Barrie had the juggernaut, here they were the underdogs. I didn't like that Spitfires team very much, and was kind of indifferent to these Knights. This Colts team went in healthy and would be able to give their best effort, while the 2010 team had key injuries, leaving a feeling that had they iced there best it might have turned out differently. Ultimately Windsor was the better team for those two weeks that May, and I wished them well in the Memorial Cup (this is before I found out they had recruiting violations, but I digress).

It now seems like the Colts are going to ultimately bow to the mighty Knights. Surprisingly (to me at least) I'm now finding this series even more difficult to swallow than back in 2010. Partially because the Colts got up 3-1 and that gave hope. Partially because we're now down several key players due to either injury or suspension. Mostly because I'm really starting to dislike the Knights. It's really-off putting to listen to Dale Hunter, who committed one of the top five dirtiest plays in hockey history against one of the classiest players, spew off about hits and diving. Moreover I see Knights fans complaining here and elsewhere online about the officiating and I wonder if we're watching the same series. The Colts seem to be getting called for all sorts of stuff that the officials let the Knights get away with...from the punches to Niederberger's head in game 4...to the Zadorov check in game 5...to the shot on Scheifele tonight...and that tying goal didn't looked just fine to my eyes...how one of the least penalized teams in the OHL suddenly has 20 more PIM in 6 games than their opponent is beyond me. The Colts had a high enough mountain to climb without trying to play against the officials too. How they end up with the suspension (Camara) and all the players missing time due to injury in the series (Hall, Scheifele, Theoret, Webster) is beyond me...that takes some effort. I recognize I too have a bias but if I'm as far off out to lunch as I appear to be then maybe I'm caring just a little too much about this series...so I'm backing off a bit and chilling out of these boards for a while...

So for my final post of the 2013 season to the Colts I'll say congratulations boys. Regardless of the outcome Monday you gave the Knights more than most thought you would and beat them more times than all other teams in this playoff combined. I'll give my congratulations to the Knights fans now on what seems to be the inevitable - enjoy and best of luck in Saskatoon. I enjoy watching Bo Horvat so if they move on hopefully he does well. It seems to me this may be the last you see of him in London. My guess is he goes to Columbus in the draft and sticks with the big club.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
You certainly have faith in your team. How can you have no hope after you saw London's ability to hold leads?

Barrie got to the finals for a reason. Don't underestimate them. At the same time, you can hardly dislike Knights fans for complaining about officiating if you do the same thing.

sbrug

Aug 30, 2012
Kanuck, I'm surprised on many levels. How you believe the Colts are getting screwed is beyond me. Camara does a hit in game 2 which was comparable to Zack Kassian on Matt Kennedy (that suspension I'm sure you had no problem with) which the league looks the other way. So Schiefele gets hurt. Big deal. There is nothing wrong with what Anderson did on that play.

Looking at PP opportunites is weak. I could point out how Barrie's allowed to crosscheck in front of the net without being called. Did you noitce the highs sticks in game 4? The same game the Colts conveniently win on a PP? What about Horvat's goal in game 5 to make it 4-1. Gets an itentional highs stick as he scores. Don't tell me that 8 eyes could not see the goal scorer get that in his face.

And last night. If there was another night where the referees alomst single handedly give the game to one team, I've never seen it.

I loved the phantom call on Mattaa to make it 4-1. He wasn't even in contact with a Colt. Second goal: he gets a stick in the feet righ in front of the net and the Colts score. The tying goal. It's booted in. His foot leaves the ice and makes a motion towards the net.

I don't know how one fan base can feel comfortable going into game 7. I don't see a clear advantage.

sbrug

Aug 30, 2012
If the officials are your excuse for losing, IN ANY SPORT, you're WEAK. The ultimate cop out in sport is pointing the blame towards officiating. And yes that goes for Dale Hunter's rants. Shut up and leave it on the ice.

Of course. Teams have to worry about what they can control. That doesn't mean that the officiating dows not get heavily slanted for one team though. This is the OHL we're talking about.

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
As s Colts fan I'm not sure I can handle watching them sleepwalk for the first 2 periods again. I'm not taking anything away from London who have deserved to win each game they have (and one they didn't). But considering it's the final, why does Barrie need to wait til the 3rd when they're down 4-0 or 3-1 or whatever the score is, to wake the heck up and play with some passion? I just don't get it.

As s Colts fan I'm not sure I can handle watching them sleepwalk for the first 2 periods again. I'm not taking anything away from London who have deserved to win each game they have (and one they didn't). But considering it's the final, why does Barrie need to wait til the 3rd when they're down 4-0 or 3-1 or whatever the score is, to wake the heck up and play with some passion? I just don't get it.
To be honest with you...it's London switching to the trap that creates Barrie's opportunities. If London would just keep the foot on the throttle..this series wouldn't even be going to a 7th game. Not bias..truth.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Way to get it done boyz! No problem

Obviously a dissapointing last 6 min but the boyz regrouped and ended it early. Thank goodness as I wasnt really in a great mood waiting for the OT to start.

OK, we know this team has struggled in the POs holding leads , Ive just accepted it as a cuurent flaw in this TEAM (not just Dale- but he is the leader Ill agree)

They frustrate us because they can be so good, dominating, suffocating, controlling for stretches and yet can also have teams flip the ice on them when the chips are down. We see the briiliance they show at times and expect it thru 60 min in spite of the fact the other teams are also very good and also are capable of showing desire, compete, drive and also see the pot of gold at the end of the raindow and want it bad. The other teams try to, Fortunatley weve been that 1 goal better thru 60 min (or more) than them. (Ply/ Barrie)

Anderson with a big hit on 19
Domi had a better offensive game and he and his linemates scored a few biggies. Grif and him combined a couple times to create goals by forechecking, turning em over, winning puck battles et al. They arent my fav players but both brought it last night.
Wely getting on one of his streaks also helps.
Goalies havent been great but PAtterson has equalled or probly bettered Ned the last 2. (my key for this series was Ned, and the he scared me- hopefully they continue to put pucks past the seeemingly slumping goalie)

I like our chances

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Any video of the hit on Scheifele? I would like to see how he was injured.

It is a major uphill battle for Barrie on Monday if their entire top line can't play.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI

I know how you feel -- Plymouth did similar against the Knights a few times in the conference finals, taking off entire periods. It's very frustrating to watch.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
I know how you feel -- Plymouth did similar against the Knights a few times in the conference finals, taking off entire periods. It's very frustrating to watch.

It's also frustrating to watch London build big leads and then allow other teams to flip the ice on them after controlling play for 2 periods. ;)
Maybe the opponents in both cases have a lot to do with it and not the fact we homers see it as taking periods off?

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Scheifele out according to LFP sports writer tweet. Ouch!

Shouldnt change our game (I hope) but Barrie others willl have to really step up.

Take nothing for granted here.

Get on em early and keeep pushing, competing all game.

SimonKnightsman

Dec 28, 2012

May I suggest asking a lot more teams the same question. Many have shook their heads the last 2 years after losing to Hunter's troops....they can friggin lull you to sleep and whe you least expect it....goal.

They are very misleading when you first watch them.

But also quick...

ForeverHabs97

May 11, 2013
Canada
Not impressed with Ekblad's last shift, turned over the puck on the breakout and that resulted to London's game winning goal... but it's not that big of a deal he's at the rookie age and you gotta expect mistakes like those. Besides, he's a big part of the reason why the Colts are there.

Last edited:

krazy kanuck

Dec 24, 2008
Alberta
Well, I sure managed to keep that boycott going.

What can you say, congratulations to the Knights. Got there in the end. Great effort by the Colts. Had half the Couchiching Terriers in the lineup and still take them right to the brink. It's annoying how everything went down with Camara/Griffith & Anderson/Camara, but what can you do.

Still going to most of the Cup next week. Have some extras now for the Tuesday game (not going to take time off work for the Knights). If there are some Knights fans who would like them, they're all yours PM me and I'll get them to you at your hotel (seriously).

HLLYWD99

Mar 8, 2011
Amherstburg
Congrats to the Knights and good luck at the Memorial Cup.

Kudos to the Colts for taking this series to the very last second, a tough loss but they left it all on the ice.

GangGreen

May 27, 2012
Well, I sure managed to keep that boycott going.

What can you say, congratulations to the Knights. Got there in the end. Great effort by the Colts. Had half the Couchiching Terriers in the lineup and still take them right to the brink. It's annoying how everything went down with Camara/Griffith & Anderson/Camara, but what can you do.

Still going to most of the Cup next week. Have some extras now for the Tuesday game (not going to take time off work for the Knights). If there are some Knights fans who would like them, they're all yours PM me and I'll get them to you at your hotel (seriously).

Congrats to the Colts as well. Have to figure with Scheifele and Camara things would have turned out differently. As it was, Niederberger, Athanasiou and Theoret were pretty damn good, and the others played well enough to keep them in it. I truly hope the Colts are awarded the 2014 Memorial Cup in the next few days.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Congrats to the Knights. Do the OHL proud at the Memorial Cup.

Also, congrats to the Colts on a great series. It's a tough way to lose, with the team's top two offensive players out of the lineup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad