2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 5.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
f Erne falls to our 1st round pick, there's no reason he shouldn't be the guy.

I've heard very good reports on Guindon, from the mouth of his goaltending coach, who happens to have played a game for the Habs in his career. I'll let you guys connect the dots He said the guy works very hard during the practices. He started out the year as the clear 2nd but finally surpassed Graham, he improved a lot along the way.

Saw Roy play tonight and I was disappointed, I definitely have Poirier ahead of him now. I'm not even sure I look at Marc-Olivier in the 3rd round.

Erne? If he falls below 20th, he'S a possible choice. NO WAY I'd pick him behind Frederick Gauthier.

I pretty much have him on par with Mantha. The later is the better player now, but there are some things I dislike about him... not to mention that he's basically a 2012 draft eligible.

Oh! Who's his goalie coach? Patrick Labrecque?

Poirier is... a bit hard to read. If that guy always gave it all defensively, he'd be a high 2nd rounder. But he doesn't, which is a shame, because he's otherwise a very good PK'er. Not to mention that his skating made leaps and bounds since last season. His offensive skills projects into a low-end 2nd liner (... potential, actually, not an actual "assessment"), but he really has a great shot, and has decent size : he should end up being a 6'015, 200 pounds with proper training.

The thing is -- if he doesn't commit more to his defensive play, I don't see him as having much of a shot at an NHL career.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Erne? If he falls below 20th, he'S a possible choice. NO WAY I'd pick him behind Frederick Gauthier.

I pretty much have him on par with Mantha. The later is the better player now, but there are some things I dislike about him... not to mention that he's basically a 2012 draft eligible.

Poirier is... a bit hard to read. If that guy always gave it all defensively, he'd be a high 2nd rounder. But he doesn't, which is a shame, because he's otherwise a very good PK'er. Not to mention that his skating made leaps and bounds since last season. His offensive skills projects into a low-end 2nd liner (... potential, actually, not an actual "assessment"), but he really has a great shot, and has decent size : he should end up being a 6'015, 200 pounds with proper training.

The thing is -- if he doesn't commit more to his defensive play, I don't see him as having much of a shot at an NHL career.

The Habs will need the sharpshooters like Collberg and Mantha in the near future,another like them is Domi/Zykov.A big playmaking center like Gauthier to replace Plekanec when he retires,also to alleviate the pressure from Galchenyuk and Eller as the other centers in the Top Nine.A couple of LW's in the 2nd rd. are Carrier and Ty Hill.If the Habs can't get the shooter or center they need in the 1st rd. then players like Lazar,Hartman,Klimchuk,Hurley,Compher or Rychel would be great too,more than likely at least one or two of these guys will be available in the 2nd.If not then a couple of screaming good defencemen will be available,the Habs are going to make out like bandits in Fort Knox in this draft with all the picks they have now,who knows by draft day.:nod::nod:

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec

It's a good question, Erne or Gauthier?

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Erne without thinking twice. Gauthier has been horrible everytime I see him.

Badluck -- that's it.

I've seen him thrice, and he was the best forward of Rimouski for all those games.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Don't look now, but Nashville is 10th in the West. And they are basically 11th since LA is 1 point back with 3 games in hand.

If we could get that pick in the 40-42 range, that would be superb.

Franck

eltiT resU motsuC
Jan 5, 2010
Gothenburg
Don't look now, but Nashville is 10th in the West. And they are basically 11th since LA is 1 point back with 3 games in hand.

If we could get that pick in the 40-42 range, that would be superb.

Nashville and Calgary (and I guess Dallas, to a lesser extent) doing badly is definitely good for us. Two picks early in the 2nd would be great for us.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Badluck -- that's it.

I've seen him thrice, and he was the best forward of Rimouski for all those games.

Gauthier is soft!
Such a waste of size and strenght. He is a solid two way centerman that could have a role on a 3rd line but he does not have the talent to become a top line centerman in my mind. He reminds me of Antropov.

As for Erne. He has questionable hockey IQ but he is tough competitor that goes in front of the net and can play physical. He also has a great shot. He can lay out big hits. He reminds me of Dustin Brown.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
I'd pick Erne over Gauthier too and it wouldn't be a tough decision. I like Erne's top-six upside better but even if they topped out as bottom-sixers, I'd prefer Erne in that role too. But I've been wrong before.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
It's a good question, Erne or Gauthier?

People are wayyyyy too hard on Gauthier.

You draft him for what he can be at 22-23 to 35 not what he is TODAY.

Erne is more advanced offensively but he is also more developped physically(Gauthier will add 20-25lbs to his NHL weight) and in his 2nd year in the QMJHL while Gauthier is a rookie.

Gauthier being a center carries more value plus he is going to be bigger(6'1" vs 6'5") and already a more complete player who will play PP Pk and be able to paly tough matchups.

Gauthier needs to shoot more + work on his shot and his skating is still a work in progress but he has good technique and should be a good skater for a big center. All his "deficiencies" should fix themselves with time. He has size, skill and willingness to get involved physically.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Nashville and Calgary (and I guess Dallas, to a lesser extent) doing badly is definitely good for us. Two picks early in the 2nd would be great for us.

Nashville is falling and fast, Flames it all depends on which direction they take, if they decide to rebuild and sell we should have a good pick or else it's going to be middle of the pack. The Stars I see them fighting for 8th

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Watched the Rimouski/Moncton game I had on my PVR from Friday.

And man what a game Gauthier had... defensively. He gave a hard time to Jaskin, consistently checking with his stick or checking him into the boards, he saved a few goals too. He plays like a Pro already, and does the simple play all the time, I've seen him try to deke once through a defender but it didn't work. He was playing with Beauvilier for most of the game, but in the third he was playing with Oke and Loiseau which didn't help him.

Beauvilier can keep up with Gauthier, but whenever the puck ended on Oke's tape, the play was dieing. Reminds me of a certain San Jose Sharks prospect that played with Team USA at the WJC.:sarcasm:

Seriously, I can see why Gauthier has slowed production wise lately. Oke is an offensive vacuum, he's slow and is far from creative with the puck. While Loiseau works his tail off, he's not the most gifted player. Anyway, Gauthier's primary job was to shut down the Cats and he did pretty good on that night.

I still have my concerns for him offensively, but there's no doubt in my mind he'll be a pro, and a tough player to play against. He was giving fits to arguably the best player in the 'Q this year. Imagine when he fills out and improves his skating. One area where he seems to need to improve was the faceoff circle, but Moncton had pretty good ones in Saulnier and Danault, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt since he's still pretty raw physically.

Other players in that game I liked were Kostalek, and Mackinnon, Ryan this one. Mackinnon is a pretty good skater and a good puck mover. He was adamant at escaping the forecheck and he plays with a chip on his shoulder, the little garland was often at the receiving hand.

Kostalek was good also. I certainly take a look at him with one of our two 3rd rounders. He's pretty complete. He's physical, he's safe defensively and has a pretty hard one-timer. He was used on the 2nd PP wave, but that's because Rimouski has one of the best offensive D's in the league in Gagné and they play with 4 forwards.

Morin injured himself early in the game and I couldn't really evaluate him.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Watched the Rimouski/Moncton game I had on my PVR from Friday.

And man what a game Gauthier had... defensively. He gave a hard time to Jaskin, consistently checking with his stick or checking him into the boards, he saved a few goals too. He plays like a Pro already, and does the simple play all the time, I've seen him try to deke once through a defender but it didn't work. He was playing with Beauvilier for most of the game, but in the third he was playing with Oke and Loiseau which didn't help him.

Beauvilier can keep up with Gauthier, but whenever the puck ended on Oke's tape, the play was dieing. Reminds me of a certain San Jose Sharks prospect that played with Team USA at the WJC.:sarcasm:

Seriously, I can see why Gauthier has slowed production wise lately. Oke is an offensive vacuum, he's slow and is far from creative with the puck. While Loiseau works his tail off, he's not the most gifted player. Anyway, Gauthier's primary job was to shut down the Cats and he did pretty good on that night.

I still have my concerns for him offensively, but there's no doubt in my mind he'll be a pro, and a tough player to play against. He was giving fits to arguably the best player in the 'Q this year. Imagine when he fills out and improves his skating. One area where he seems to need to improve was the faceoff circle, but Moncton had pretty good ones in Saulnier and Danault, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt since he's still pretty raw physically.

Other players in that game I liked were Kostalek, and Mackinnon, Ryan this one. Mackinnon is a pretty good skater and a good puck mover. He was adamant at escaping the forecheck and he plays with a chip on his shoulder, the little garland was often at the receiving hand.

Kostalek was good also. I certainly take a look at him with one of our two 3rd rounders. He's pretty complete. He's physical, he's safe defensively and has a pretty hard one-timer. He was used on the 2nd PP wave, but that's because Rimouski has one of the best offensive D's in the league in Gagné and they play with 4 forwards.

Morin injured himself early in the game and I couldn't really evaluate him.

I watched it too... He had a better game than the last 4 ones I've watched of him... But best in the Q ? .... He's poor offensively, he gives poor effort from time to time, he's slow, doesnt have the best shot.... I just don't see it.

He seems to have a good hockey IQ and good size though... But for me he's a nono unless we're 25+

habsfan#1

Mar 20, 2007
Guys if we pick around 25 to 30 what do prefer Ryan Hartman,Kerby Rychel or Bo Horvat????

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
I watched it too... He had a better game than the last 4 ones I've watched of him... But best in the Q ? .... He's poor offensively, he gives poor effort from time to time, he's slow, doesnt have the best shot.... I just don't see it.

He seems to have a good hockey IQ and good size though... But for me he's a nono unless we're 25+

Maybe I haven't expressed myself as I wanted, but I meant he gave a hard time to one of the best player in the 'Q in Jaskin.

Isn't that what giving fits means?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->