2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 14.0

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Okay, lets forget size, Petan, Dauphin, Poirier and Subban, happy now ? Boys, I know these guys are skilled, but we need to size and toughen up. One of these guys ( not Subban ) , fine, but more than one, no thanks. Remember, balance.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Okay, lets forget size, Petan, Dauphin, Poirier and Subban, happy now ? Boys, I know these guys are skilled, but we need to size and toughen up. One of these guys ( not Subban ) , fine, but more than one, no thanks. Remember, balance.

Poirier and Dauphin aren't small.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
If I'm Florida at #2 I'm all in on Barkov. That being said I still think they grab Jones.

Perhaps it's just me, but I don't understand the love for Barkov. In the games and tapes I watched, I see a player with the upside of an Olli Jokinen. If that's what excites you, go for it.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

Dauphin is 6 and Poirier is 6'1" WTF??

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
For some people, it has to start at 6'3''.....Personnally, I'm also looking at how build they are. While Dauphin does seem more in the frail category, Poirier isn't.

That;s for sure.. if we are looking at frame, Poirier has a good frame. Dauphin is slight but he is very tenacious, so as long as he can build strength, he'll be able to be effective as he does have great hockey IQ. He just doesn't have all the tools Poirier has, which is why Poirier is higher on my list.

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002

As has been repeatedly posted here, draft the most skilled players available. With literally dozens of quality free agents available this summer, what ever 'balance' you are seeking can be obtained through free agency. Take the best player available regardless of size, ethnicity or hair colour. It's the only way to build a winning team.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Thanks!!

As long as the Habs get one of Burakovsky, Zykov, McCoshen, Poirier, Jarry, Nastasiuk, Dickinson, or Bailey.. I'll be happy.

I'm with you with most of them....Honestly, as the draft approaches, I'm feeling like I will be really dissapointed to not get Poirier. But there's so many others out there.....Dickinson and Bailey, well I'm not going to be dissapointed. I mean, any sane person won't be. Yet, they will have to convince me as they progresses....Goalie wise, I'm with you with Jarry. Q wise, Desrosiers and Bibeau are it for me.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
As has been repeatedly posted here, draft the most skilled players available. With literally dozens of quality free agents available this summer, what ever 'balance' you are seeking can be obtained through free agency. Take the best player available regardless of size, ethnicity or hair colour. It's the only way to build a winning team.

At some point you have to make some concessions.

Do you take another small player in Petan and say his upside is 60-80 points
Or do you add a rugged player like Nastasiuk and say his upside is 40-60 points.

Obviously, in this EXAMPLE, Petan would be the BPA but if you want to build a winning team, Nastasiuk brings more to the table than just skill.

There's a lot of jealousy here on teams like Chicago, Detroit, Boston and once upon a time, New Jersey.

They have a team concept in mind and draft players to fit this philosophy. You cant bank on signing free agents, sometimes they don't come here and most of the time, they are at free agent market value, meaning you spend more on that player than you would if you drafted him.

The Habs might have their own philosophy but my philosophy is to acquire depth, surround 3-4 skilled players with rugged guys who can chip in 20-25 goals and 40-50 points and win with 3 lines that can produce on any given night. The back-end features skilled puck movers anchored by guys who can hti and block shots but also can make a first pass.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I'm with you with most of them....Honestly, as the draft approaches, I'm feeling like I will be really dissapointed to not get Poirier. But there's so many others out there.....Dickinson and Bailey, well I'm not going to be dissapointed. I mean, any sane person won't be. Yet, they will have to convince me as they progresses....Goalie wise, I'm with you with Jarry. Q wise, Desrosiers and Bibeau are it for me.

Sounds like solid chance Habs will move up in draft. Probably for a Lazar, Morin, Rychel or Horvat.

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002

Or do you add a rugged player like Nastasiuk and say his upside is 40-60 points.

Obviously, in this EXAMPLE, Petan would be the BPA but if you want to build a winning team, Nastasiuk brings more to the table than just skill.

There's a lot of jealousy here on teams like Chicago, Detroit, Boston and once upon a time, New Jersey.

They have a team concept in mind and draft players to fit this philosophy. You cant bank on signing free agents, sometimes they don't come here and most of the time, they are at free agent market value, meaning you spend more on that player than you would if you drafted him.

The Habs might have their own philosophy but my philosophy is to acquire depth, surround 3-4 skilled players with rugged guys who can chip in 20-25 goals and 40-50 points and win with 3 lines that can produce on any given night. The back-end features skilled puck movers anchored by guys who can hti and block shots but also can make a first pass.

Being a larger player doesn't in itself preclude a player from being considered the best player available. It is only one of the factors that goes into the very complex and uncertain decision making process when one is trying to draft an 18 year old. But one should not force or reach for a player simply because of a perceived need for size. Nor should you draft guided solely by positional need. This is only obvious. In two years from now, if a team has a chance to draft Connor McDavid, but really needs a goalie, do you pass up a generational talent for a need? Of course not. You draft the talent, and look elsewhere to fill the need. This obvious example of drafting the best talent available applies to all draft choices. Size is only one consideration in the selection evaluation. If size makes that player a better projected NHL player, then select that player. But to pass over a superior player for a lesser player solely on the consideration of size, is pure folly.

Uwey

Jun 10, 2006
Lunenburg, NS
Thanks!!

As long as the Habs get one of Burakovsky, Zykov, McCoshen, Poirier, Jarry, Nastasiuk, Dickinson, or Bailey.. I'll be happy.

Any one of McCoshen, Poirier, Hartman, de la Rose, Hurley, Bailey, Hadden, Derosier or Bibeau, for me.

Zykov, just does not intrigue me.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Excited guys? :)

A little but learned from past years not too overhype it. Players we draft today will not help out for at least 3-4 years. Unless we trade up to get in top 10, maybe top 15 at lowest. Even the 2007 Draft was outstanding for us, do no better than that. It was 3 years, until playoffs 2010 before we seen the first appearance of any draftee. When Subban replaced Markov in Pitt series. Even then there was a few hiccups before we got major contribution.

Slew Foots

Everything is OK
Sep 6, 2006
Excited guys? :)

YES :nod:

I've been waiting for today to come for a few weeks now, and we're finally here! Thanks to all the draft/prospect junkies on HFBoards...since I don't have much time anymore to watch these prospects myself, I love being able to read everyone's insight here.

I'm expecting much more action than usual this year...I'm curious to see what Bergevin will do (not only today, but in the next few days), and I know my boy Timmins will hook it up with his picks as usual!

And to make today even better, Spain & Brazil, two footballing titans, are going up against each other for the Confederations Cup final...hopefully the Habs will have already picked up 3 awesome prospects by then (or even better: managed to move up to pick up someone unexpected ;))

yianik

Jun 30, 2009

Dauphin is 153ibs, so he puts on 15lbs, Poirier is like 165 ibs, he puts on 15lbs, not exactly big. Do they play a good physical game ? I would be good with Poirier to tell you the truth, but along with a couple good sized physical players in our top 3 picks. I like Heatherington and I know his skill set isn't high, but then a decent sized forward with skill and the willingness to hit and play in the tough areas. If no Heatherington then another forward like I just described. Don't think Im being unreasonable here.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie now
For 2nd round, panel is @GMillerTSN, @CraigJButton et moi. We'll bring you every pick in 2nd round with some analysis, as time permits.

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie now
TSN will stay on air for entire duration of draft but from rounds 3 thru 7 will talk more about team/league happenings than actual picks.

Of ****ing course.

Renaud Lavoie ‏@RenLavoieRDS 34s
Chaque équipe aura 3 minutes pour faire son choix. Un seul temps d'arrêt de 5 minutes est accordé à chaque équipe pour le repêchage. #RDS

Each team has a 5 minute timeout.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

I agree with most of what you're saying, but I think the top 6 picks they will take a mix of skill and rugged/gritty/tough guys.

We may end up with Rychel in round 1, plus Petan Bailey and Roy in round 2. If Pelan makes it to #34 he is hard to pass up regardless of need.

You end up with 3 potential top 9 guys with grit/toughness.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad