2013 NHL Entry Draft Statistics

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Anyone want to take a crack at a top 10 list? I realize it is far away and a lot is going to change. I'm just curious what people think right now.

Haven't seen many north american players and i doubt that there is anyone at these forums from NA who have seen enough of european prospects. Victor Crus-Rydberg from sweden could crack into top 10 he is very very smart player with good two-way game, Marko Dano has amazing vision and hands potential to be first round pick. Rasmus Ristolainen is mobile, smooth skating, big two-way defenseman who logs +20 minutes per game in FEL against men being only 16 years old top 10 potential for sure maybe top 5. Alexandr Barkov Jr. is an big, strong, very smart with elite shot, stickhandling, defensive game and positioning. Has veteran touch in his game and he is playing against men at FEL and he just turned 16, barely eligible for the 2013 draft. Top 5 for sure at this point if he works on his skating he could be 1st overall very well. Outplayed players named Galchenyuk and Grigorenko at Ivan hlinka.

seadawg

Sep 22, 2008
Thanks for this. Barkov sounds like a Russian name. I was surprised to learn he was Finnish. He's certainly been getting a lot of buzz lately, especially after the strong Ivan Hlinka tournament.

Hopefully someone else can give some insight on a top 10 list.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Thanks for this. Barkov sounds like a Russian name. I was surprised to learn he was Finnish. He's certainly been getting a lot of buzz lately, especially after the strong Ivan Hlinka tournament.

Hopefully someone else can give some insight on a top 10 list.

I think merging a list between the North Americans and the Europeans at this point is very difficult to do. Whilst many of the Top North American prospects are visible to us all to an extent now because they are eligible for Junior hockey, the European guys by and large won't be playing in their respective men's leagues yet. It would be almost impossible i'd say for anyone who isn't extremely extremely well acquainted with the Junior age classes worldwide for this draft to make any sort of respectable list. For instance, who here can even begin to really feel confident on who the Top Russian players for this draft are and what skillsets do they have?

Perhaps it's just better to listen to the experts of individual regions/areas/leagues and their assessment at the moment.

Does seem odd though, how 2012 is stacked for North American D but pretty light on true top end NA Forwards, yet 2013 at this stage, has what appears to be a crazy number of extremely hyped Forwards (moreso than i can actually remember).

seadawg

Sep 22, 2008
Professional scouts can't even put together a list for the 2012 draft right now that will look remotely similar to the 2012 draft results, so I'm not expecting anyone to be accurate with their ranking for the 2013 draft. I'm just wondering if anyone, based on some players they have watched (even just a bit) and some players they have read about cares to put together a potential top 10 ranking. Obviously the ranking won't be remotely accurate.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Professional scouts can't even put together a list for the 2012 draft right now that will look remotely similar to the 2012 draft results, so I'm not expecting anyone to be accurate with their ranking for the 2013 draft. I'm just wondering if anyone, based on some players they have watched (even just a bit) and some players they have read about cares to put together a potential top 10 ranking. Obviously the ranking won't be remotely accurate.

I didn't really mean accuracy in relation to the NHL draft. Professional scouts (as a collective) for a team may have a list for 2012 now that will look crazy next June, yet they likely have seen enough, heard enough etc to have enough knowledge to make a list based on reason and analysis. What i meant was, i think its unreasonable and unlikely anybody on here can really give a solid 2013 ranking because they won't have the knowledge of all areas/regions etc.

I didn't mean it's pointless because the draft is so long away. I meant it's a difficult exercise simply because i doubt anyone has the resources or time to know enough about all the different regions.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
My early top 10 for the WHL 2013

1. Morgan Klimchuk Regina Pats C
- Just a fantastic combiniaton of skill and speed. Has a real good chance to be as good as Eberle. I believe he will be the top 16 year old scorer in the league this year. The Pats should build around him he is a superstar

2. Aryton Nikkel Brandon Wheat Kings D
- This guy will be on everyone's list. Great offensive tools and loves to crush guys. He has the right combination of size and skill that will make teams drool.

3. Curtis Lazar Edmonton Oil Kings C
- Will end up one of the best two way forwards in the league. Has size and knows how to use it. Has just enough skill to score and create.

4. Kade Pilton Victorai Royals D -
Late 94 birthday. Has huge size 6'5 200. Tough as nails can scrap with the best of them. Has surprising offensive ability. Another Dylan McIlrath

5. Hunter Shinkaruk Medicine Hat Tigers W
- Might be the most skilled guy in the west. Great speed. Size is a concern but I don't think it is an issue. Another one of those Eberle clones

6. Eric Roy Brandon Wheat Kings D
- Late 94 birthday. Very good size. Probably the best pure passer for his age group on D. Really starting to show his offensive prowess this year. Not the most physical despite his good size

7. Alex Forsberg Prince George C - Supremely talented skill player possesing good speed. Lots is expected of him and so far he looks very good. Size is an issue and he is not a physical player.

8. Carter Hansen Moose Jaw Warriors W - Big budding power forward. Likes to go to the net hard. Has pretty soft hands for a big guy. One of those players that will explode next year I am betting.

9. Madison Bowey Kelowna Rockets D - A riverboat gambler think Mike Green here. Good wheels loves to rush the puck exciting player to watch also frustrating as hell.

10. Jay Merkley Lethbridge Hurricanes C
- Highly skilled forward. Classic playmaker with good speed. Not the biggest guy yet, he could easily rise or fall depending on how well he handles the physical game but so far he seems to be doing fine.

Other Notables

Jared Hauf Seattle Thunderbirds D
Keegan Kanzig Victora Royals D
Ryan Pulock Brandon Wheat Kings D
Jess Less Kelowna Rockets D
Nick Petan Portalnd Winterhawks F
Matt Needham Kamloops Blazers F
Taylor Green Seattle Thunderbirds D
Connor Rankin Tri-City Americans F

Last edited:

TheBakester66

Jun 11, 2009
St. Louis, MO, USA
Take it worth a grain of salt:

But my rankings so far:

1. Nathan MacKinnon
2. Sean Monahan
3. Alex "Sasha" Barkov
4. Connor Rankin
5. Curtis Lazar
6. Alex Forsberg
7. Seth Jones
8. Marko Dano
9. Taylor Cammaratta
10. Hunter Shinkaruk

11. Forgot Lazar ... odd man out.... Markus Søberg

Last edited:

seadawg

Sep 22, 2008
thanks for those lists, Joe and Bakester

there are some key players for me to keep an eye on this year

DangerMan

@danlizee
Jun 4, 2007
Edmonton
whlthoughts.blogspot.com

- Just a fantastic combiniaton of skill and speed. Has a real good chance to be as good as Eberle. I believe he will be the top 16 year old scorer in the league this year. The Pats should build around him he is a superstar

- This guy will be on everyone's list. Great offensive tools and loves to crush guys. He has the right combination of size and skill that will make teams drool.

- Will end up one of the best two way forwards in the league. Has size and knows how to use it. Has just enough skill to score and create.

Late 94 birthday. Has huge size 6'5 200. Tough as nails can scrap with the best of them. Has surprising offensive ability. Another Dylan McIlrath

- Might be the most skilled guy in the west. Great speed. Size is a concern but I don't think it is an issue. Another one of those Eberle clones

- Late 94 birthday. Very good size. Probably the best pure passer for his age group on D. Really starting to show his offensive prowess this year. Not the most physical despite his good size

7. Alex Forsberg Prince George C - Supremely talented skill player possesing good speed. Lots is expected of him and so far he looks very good. Size is an issue and he is not a physical player.

8. Carter Hansen Moose Jaw Warriors W - Big budding power forward. Likes to go to the net hard. Has pretty soft hands for a big guy. One of those players that will explode next year I am betting.

9. Madison Bowey Kelowna Rockets D - A riverboat gambler think Mike Green here. Good wheels loves to rush the puck exciting player to watch also frustrating as hell.

- Highly skilled forward. Classic playmaker with good speed. Not the biggest guy yet, he could easily rise or fall depending on how well he handles the physical game but so far he seems to be doing fine.

Other Notables

I'm surprised you don't have Pulock higher given your Brandon sig and all

R S

Sep 18, 2006

Other Notables

For me, I have Forsberg, Lazar and Shinkaruk as my top 3, in no particular order.

With that being said, I've yet to see Rankin, Needham or Bowey live...which are 3 guys that seem to be high on many lists.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I like the WHL dmen for 2013 just as much as the forwards.

Fair enough, but clearly the 2013 batch of WHL forwards seems to be the best that the league has seen in many many years. 2011 was good with guys like RNH, Bartschi and Rattie but 2013 could be just as good, if not better.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

FWIW Here's my Top 10

1. Nathan MacKinnon, F, Hallifax Mooseheads, QMJHL, CAN
2. Seth Jones, D, United States Dev. Pgm, USHL, USA
3. Sasha Barkov, F, Tappara, SM-Liiga, FIN
4. Curtis Lazar, F, Edmonton Oil Kings, WHL, CAN
5. Sean Manahan, F, Ottawa 67s, OHL, CAN
6. Taylor Cammarata, F, Waterloo Blackhawks, USHL, USA
7. Hunter Shinkaruk, F, Medicine Hat Tigers, WHL, CAN
8. Alex Forsberg, F, Prince George Cougars, WHL, CAN
9. Rasmus Ristolainen, D, TPS, SM-Liiga, FIN
10. Eric Roy, D, Brandon Wheat Kings, WHL, CAN

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
For those of you who have seen Monahan play, would a fair comparison for him be Sean Couturier?

Also, who has a higher ceiling, Pulock or Roy?

Roy has a far higher offensive potential than Pulock, Pulock is better defensively.
I'd take Roy....

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Roy has a far higher offensive potential than Pulock, Pulock is better defensively.
I'd take Roy....

Not sure why people keep saying that about Roy's offense. To me, Pulock seems to have much better offensive skills.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
Is there anyone at the same level of Nathan Mackinnon that has a chance for first overall?

Most definitely. Although Mackinnon is seen by many as the favorite you could make a case for a few other guys being better than him right now. Many believe Seth Jones is the best 2013 eligible player, and you could make an argument that Curtis Lazar outplayed mackinnon at the canada games last year. Monahan is also off to an amazing start and of course forsberg has always been in the conversation. It is still extremely early too so we could see a lot of players breakthrough and progress at all different rates over these next 2 seasons.

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
Just putting some Danish names out there. These guys has the best chance of becoming the next Danish draftees:

Sonny Hertzberg
Mads Eller
Mathias Asperup
And perhaps André Pison Stærmose

The last three did a great job playing against men in the very weak danish second tier play-off. Asperup had 12 point in 13 games. Mads Eller is the brother of NHL'er Lars Eller. Hertzberg is from Herning(Frans Nielsen, Peter Regin, Nicklas Jensen) and the other three is from Rodovre(Jannik Hansen, Lars Eller, Mikkel Boedker)

If just one of these gets drafted it would be great :)

... Just as well add Oliver Björkstrand(Son of Todd and brother to Patrick). He's had a great start in the best Danish league this year.

seadawg

Sep 22, 2008
great discussion everyone...thanks for these lists

what do people think of Hudson Fasching? Is he first round material? Top 10 potential?

cheerupmurray

May 26, 2010
Stockholm
2013 draft could be really good for Sweden. My favorite so far is perhaps Elias Lindholm. Another of those great centers from Brynäs, 9 points in 6 games so far in Superelit I wouldn't be too surprised if he got to play some in SEL even this season. He also had a great Ivan Hlinka. He is Järnkroks cousin btw.

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
Not sure why people keep saying that about Roy's offense. To me, Pulock seems to have much better offensive skills.

Roy's first pass is all world, have you seen his 40 foot tape to tape passes? His vision is on a different level than anyone else on the team. Don't get me wrong Pulock is very good, but Roy has the potential to be a very special player offensively. If he works as hard as Pulock, he will be a better player.
Teams (and colour commentators:naughty:) are going to be very surprised by Roy this year.
Take this from a guy who watches every WK game.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Monahan will be near the top...kid is dominating. Could have a better pre-draft season than Yakupov...might even be a better player now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad