Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
Good article. I think I'd rate it:

1. Buffalo
2. Columbus
3. Vancouver
4. Winnipeg
5. Montreal

Colorado and Edmonton had alright drafts but I only liked a few picks from each of their drafts.

Columbus had a brilliant draft as you put it. To get Wennberg, Rychel, Dano and Bjorkstrand at forward and Heatherington on D is a great haul for a team that desperately needs it. Kekalainen is showing how good of a GM he can be.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Eh. I thought Edmonton had a terrible draft as they usually do. Their first couple picks look to be the only ones with NHL potential(as usual). Sometimes I think Edmonton don't even have scouts. They just take the prospect with the most hype early first/second round then call it a day.

NLHabsFan

Nov 18, 2008
Alberta
Really liked the Jackets draft, love their first two picks. The Sabres of course had a good one too, but they had so many picks lol you'd expect them to get a bunch of good prospects.

Really liked the Habs draft as well, there was only one pick that pissed me off during the draft, but oh well lol.

UpsideHockey

Jan 6, 2004
Calgary, Canada
bit.ly
Really liked the Jackets draft, love their first two picks. The Sabres of course had a good one too, but they had so many picks lol you'd expect them to get a bunch of good prospects.

Really liked the Habs draft as well, there was only one pick that pissed me off during the draft, but oh well lol.

Agreed - but the thing with the Sabres was that I really like each and every pick they made, even with all the picks.

Now - who was that player that pi$$ed you off? lol

NLHabsFan

Nov 18, 2008
Alberta
Agreed - but the thing with the Sabres was that I really like each and every pick they made, even with all the picks.

Now - who was that player that pi$$ed you off? lol

Probably Crisp.

Hahaha, it was Crisp. Not Crisp himself of course, I have no problem if the Habs see something in him. But I was really high on John Hayden and was surprised to see him fall to the mid third. I really wanted him and he went three picks later to the Hawks. But I got over it lol.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
lol Flames. Three 1st round picks and still only tie for 10th. What a silly organization.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
lol Flames. Three 1st round picks and still only tie for 10th. What a silly organization.

The Flames certainly are a bit of a joke but they had a solid draft and should be higher than this garbage article suggests. The Jets shouldn't even be in the top 10 solely based on the strength of Morrissey, Petan and Comrie???? I will take Monahan, Poirier and Klimchuk as well as McCarron, DLR and Fucale over that any day......and I really like Morrissey.

No doubt that the Sabres look like they had a great draft.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
The Flames certainly are a bit of a joke but they had a solid draft and should be higher than this garbage article suggests. The Jets shouldn't even be in the top 10 solely based on the strength of Morrissey, Petan and Comrie???? I will take Monahan, Poirier and Klimchuk as well as McCarron, DLR and Fucale over that any day......and I really like Morrissey.

No doubt that the Sabres look like they had a great draft.

To me, Monahan looks like a very good 2nd line player, a lot like Jordan Staal. Poirier looks to be a 2nd/3rd line two-way player. Klimchuk, I like, but he is boom or bust. Nice players, but still a "meh" first round. Then they go and get a lousy goon in Kanzig. Eric Roy is a good pick, but then he's followed by three nobodies. It looks like a fairly average draft considering they had 3 first rounders. Though to be fair, their prospect pool was poor and any little bit helps.

Buffalo definitely did very well in this draft, as did Columbus.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Buffalo draft had the type of draft that we had last year. Tons of great names, expected and interesting names. But they were also able to go in all directions possible. You get some great D's with Zadorov and Risto AND underrated Florentino that could end up a steal at the rank he was picked, talented to gritty forwards with Compher (a Wolverine stud) to Hurley (incredibly raw but potential is great), to speedster Baptiste, big guy Bailey, raw goalie in Peterson, even Malone is great at 159 and Locke is an awesome 7th rounder. Honestly, we would have had that draft, we would have been ecstatic. Personnally though, I had already mentioned that I wasn't too fond of Bailey and that if there was one bust possibility amongst the top picks, that could be Zadorov....but at 16 and 52...those picks ends up to be BPA. I might have went Lazar with the Zadorov pick or Bowey, Carrier or Tambellini with the Bailey pick but that's just trying to find some weaknesses....and it might not be even one as both those guys could be great too.

But Columbus was awesome too with less picks. Even if I believe Dano was too soon, Wennberg and Rychel is great duo. Heatherington at 50 is a steal in my books. Bjorkstrand has to perfect his game but already has a NHL wrister. Moutrey at 105 is great value and they finally picked Quenneville...who I think I keep mentioning for the past 20 years now....

MarkovtoSubban

Mar 11, 2009
Toronto
Nobody talks about Washington but I like their draft a lot.

Having Madison Bowey slide to the late second and then trading up for big Zach Sanford makes them both lucky and smart.

They had to sit out two rounds but then nabbed Blake Heinrich in the 5th and Brian Pinho in the 6th, high value projects, then somehow had Ty Lewington, very tough and strong WHL dman still there in the 7th.

Very solid draft for the Caps.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Nobody talks about Washington but I like their draft a lot.

Having Madison Bowey slide to the late second and then trading up for big Zach Sanford makes them both lucky and smart.

They had to sit out two rounds but then nabbed Blake Heinrich in the 5th and Brian Pinho in the 6th, high value projects, then somehow had Ty Lewington, very tough and strong WHL dman still there in the 7th.

Very solid draft for the Caps.

Hard to be excited about the kids they drafted when you know they'll just turn around and trade their best guy for some over the hill scrub on his last legs. :sarcasm:

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Buffalo are the equivalent of us last year - they got all the well known/hyped prospects and so everybody feel like they won the draft.

It doesn't mean much though. In 5 years, I'm pretty sure the winner of the draft won't be one of the obvious choices. Just like the Habs in 07.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
It didn't help that 24 prospects had been chosen before the Habs could make their first selection. However, the 2013 batch, when pooled with the 2012 picks, provide the Habs with youthful talent as well as depth. The Bruins sacrificed their first rounder to sign Jagr. They tried to compensate by signing Iginla but they lost Horton, Ference, and Khudobin (last season's backup to Rask) to free agency.

Laboeuf

Apr 14, 2013
I'm happy with the players we drafted, I think the first 4 players will have a NHL career.

MICHAEL MCCARRON - 2nd line power forward
JACOB DE LA ROSE - 2nd-3rd line 2-way forward
ZACHARY FUCALE - 1A starting goalie
ARTTURI LEHKONEN - 2nd line scoring winger

keep an eye on SVEN ANDRIGHETTO, he could be a steal.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Yup. My post isn't really fair to Erat. But that trade still boggles my mind.

Mine too. Since I barely watch Nashville, didn't really know much about Erat though I knew he was one of their better players but I was really impressed with Forsberg at the WJCs. He would absolutely fly with the puck on his stick like Gomez without the turnovers. I'm sure they could've got Erat for less.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003

I'm still stunned that Theodore went 26 while Bowey went 53. It makes no sense to me. Can't wait to see both guys' progressions as I would have probably reversed it. For the Caps though, Burakovsky is a Kuznetsov type of pick....boom or bust and based on tons of reasons. Could work out incredibly well.....or not. i agree that Sanford at 61 is incredible value. Remains to be seen for the others even if I also heard some great things about Pinho.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
I'm still stunned that Theodore went 26 while Bowey went 53. It makes no sense to me. Can't wait to see both guys' progressions as I would have probably reversed it.

Not me. I see much more potential upside in Theodore. Bowey is a solid player with intangibles and work ethic, don't get me wrong. I see him as a potential 2nd pairing guy, though, while Theodore has the skating, hands, passing, shot, and ability to read the play to become more than that. People suggesting that he's poor defensively simply lack understanding of the roster/"system" (lack thereof, really) in Seattle last year, and are unfairly penalizing him for not being able to do more about it as a 17 year old on the 1st pairing. Despite being such a putrid team, Seattle almost put Bowey and the Rockets out of the playoffs, building up a 3-0 series lead before collapsing (5 games decided in overtime). The defense of Theodore and Forsberg went a long way to keeping them in that series (although Theodore was +2 in the deciding game, while Forsberg was -3).

Theodore's not a crease-clearer at all, which hurts his reputation a bit, too, but surely he'll fill out as he turns 18, 19, etc. Seems like those who watched Seattle throughout the year saw very marked improvement in Theodore's defensive game as the season went on, and I expect him to polish that side of his game even further this coming year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad