2013 NHL Draft: Any hometown prospects from NJ?

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
Alex Rauter was on the radar, but he had a minor injury or two this year and it probably dropped his stock. Definitely expect to see him crack the pros though.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
If they are from Jersey, we will NOT draft them.

Jim Dowd?

and what makes you say that? Because he/they didn't draft Carlson? There is nobody else that has made it from NJ that was worth drafting if they were available to us, and now in hindsight would not have made a positive impact aside from Carlson

It's pretty common knowledge at this point that Lou, Conte, etc do no operate based on credentials other than attitude and skill related qualities

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
They won't be involved in this years draft, but two of my brothers friends from town both have good chances in the future

One was drafted by the London Knights last year but opted to play USHL and the other is also playing in the USHL

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Jim Dowd?

and what makes you say that? Because he/they didn't draft Carlson? There is nobody else that has made it from NJ that was worth drafting if they were available to us, and now in hindsight would not have made a positive impact aside from Carlson

It's pretty common knowledge at this point that Lou, Conte, etc do no operate based on credentials other than attitude and skill related qualities

What about Jim Dowd, that was pre-Conte's reign, which was my point you chose to overlook.

We would be a better hockey club right now if they selected Carlson and Kyle Palmieri.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
What about Jim Dowd, that was pre-Conte's reign, which was my point you chose to overlook.

We would be a better hockey club right now if they selected Carlson and Kyle Palmieri.

Conte was the assistant director of scouting when Dowd was drafted, even in his current position his decision is not the end all, it's no different for any other team or sport

Forgot about Palmieri, but we traded up to make our pick that year (Josefson), so they had their eyes set on their pick

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

You don't want to pick a guy based on geography. To me, Carlson fit a need and it was a bonus that he was a fan/from the area. Palmieri over Josefson might be a bigger stretch though.

Josefson: http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?fid=11892
TSN: 16, THN: 15, ISS: 11, Redline: 32, McKeen's: 16, Central: 3rd among Euros

Palmieri: http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?fid=11894
TSN: 25, THN: 26, ISS: 23, Redline: 26, McKeen's: 42, Central: 20th among NA

If you were saying Palmieri over Josefson back in 2009, kudos to you.

The Canadian clubs face pressure every year to take local kids. Part of the reason Sykora fell to us in 1995 was because Toronto took a local kid named Jeff Ware. Assistant GM Bill Watters proudly vouched for Ware to the media since Ware went to the same school as Watters' kids.

In 2000, Calgary was hosting the draft and used their top pick on goalie Brent Krahn who was the star goalie for the Calgary Hitmen. The draft day crowd was ecstatic, but that was probably the highlight of his tenure.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
You don't want to pick a guy based on geography. To me, Carlson fit a need and it was a bonus that he was a fan/from the area. Palmieri over Josefson might be a bigger stretch though.

Josefson: http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?fid=11892
TSN: 16, THN: 15, ISS: 11, Redline: 32, McKeen's: 16, Central: 3rd among Euros

Palmieri: http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?fid=11894
TSN: 25, THN: 26, ISS: 23, Redline: 26, McKeen's: 42, Central: 20th among NA

If you were saying Palmieri over Josefson back in 2009, kudos to you.

The Canadian clubs face pressure every year to take local kids. Part of the reason Sykora fell to us in 1995 was because Toronto took a local kid named Jeff Ware. Assistant GM Bill Watters proudly vouched for Ware to the media since Ware went to the same school as Watters' kids.

In 2000, Calgary was hosting the draft and used their top pick on goalie Brent Krahn who was the star goalie for the Calgary Hitmen. The draft day crowd was ecstatic, but that was probably the highlight of his tenure.

I was one of the many who wanted Palmieri over Jake at the time.
Not because he was local, but because of the type of player he is compared to the type of player Josefson is-being local makes it a good story but Lou Conte basically go out of their way to avoid the "distraction" of local players.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
People wanted Palmieri over Josefson?

We can dig up old threads, but it doesn't sound totally outrageous. If anything, I don't recall much talk about Josefson with our pick (originally #23). I think most expected Josefson to be off the board by then. When we made the pick, I remember feeling like I didn't do a ton of research into Josefson. I had a similar feeling with Tedenby the previous year.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
Really?

I felt like I watched Josefson all year :laugh: I know I told my roommate way early in the year that he screamed "Devils king of 2-way guy" and was ecstatic when we drafted him. Felt like a true scout.

Funny enough, the reason I had him not taken before our pick was injuries. Plus we traded up anyway.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I remember reading Muir's Mock Draft at the time.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/allan_muir/06/23/mock.draft/1.html

17. St. Louis Blues: Jacob Josefson, C, Djurgarden (SEL)

There's nothing in his game that particularly stands out, but that's not a bad thing. He's such a well-rounded performer that you simply roll him out every third shift and trust him to do the job at both ends of the ice. He won't dazzle anyone with his offense, and there is some frustration about him not shooting enough, but he's a smart playmaker who makes the most of his linemates. His safe play seems like an ideal fit for the growing pool of talent in St. Louis.

22. Vancouver Canucks: Kyle Palmieri, RW, USNTDP

This is exactly the sort of kid the Canucks need. Palmieri's game is built on speed and hockey sense, but his tenacious play with or without the puck makes him so desirable. His compete level always is set on high and that helps earn him the space he needs to take advantage of his howitzer shot. And don't get too worked up about his lack of size (5-10, 191). Palmieri was a beast at the combine, finishing in the top three in the key strength tests.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Isn't he from NY?

yes, but he wont stick out like a sore thumb around here

qnp7iw.jpg

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
Maybe it is because I'm not from NJ, but I could not care less about where the players on our team comes from. Ice me the best squad with 0 hometown guys and I'll be ok with it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad