2013 New Jersey Devils (Team/Player Discussion)- Offseason FA and trade talk Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
I don't know how you come up these numbers, but what the hell I agree I guess!:laugh:

Poni BLOWS. I have a good feeling we'll sign Havlat. If we don't I think we'll sign someone who can play in the top 6. That's whether Clarkson leaves or not. If Clarkson does leave then we might sign two guys, or just one and let Matteau take that spot.

Hi five! The thought of Poni on this team next year sickens me. As I've said more than once, gimme Mr Rogers over Poni please! YUCK!

Havlat is from the Elias/Zid circle. Would be nice to add another friend there and would add to team chemistry. If of course he can stay healthy. I have always wondered what Havlat and Elias could do together.

Lou knows he needs to make moves. We are not in the same division anymore. We have to compete with all the teams we did last year PLUS Washington and Carolina who will be better and Columbus who like the Islanders is bound to be better at some point too i believe.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If people want Marty gone after next year then pray to god we bring back this same garbage lineup with garbage PASSENGER NO SHOWS like Ponikarovsky. I think if we miss the playoffs again next year then he's done. I would almost guarantee he's done if we miss the playoffs. Maybe 50/50 he comes back in 2014-2015 if we do make the playoffs, but I doubt very much Moose is back in 14-15 even if he does not retire.
GVT (goals versus threshold). Similar to WAR in baseball. Not a perfect stat, but measures how many goals a player is worth compared to replacement level.

for 2012-13:
http://www.puckprospectus.com/sortable/

The Devils' players have inflated DVGT's.

A third line player like Ponikarovsky who doesn't get much special teams time will not be worth much more than 5-6 GVT in a single season. Five goals equates to one win.

Interesting. I never was good with math though!:laugh:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Havlat is from the Elias/Zid circle. Would be nice to add another friend there and would add to team chemistry. If of course he can stay healthy. I have always wondered what Havlat and Elias could do together.

Lou knows he needs to make moves. We are not in the same division anymore. We have to compete with all the teams we did last year PLUS Washington and Carolina who will be better and Columbus who like the Islanders is bound to be better at some point too i believe.
I think Carolina will suck next year. Couldn't even compete with the Florida and TB's of the league for years. Even with Ward back, and the improvements on forward I think they'll still suck. However it is all the more reason to ice a better team cause you never do know.

I wouldn't be surprised if Patty asked Lou during negotiations if he would be interested in Marty if San Jose were to buy him out.

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
I don't know how you come up these numbers, but what the hell I agree I guess!:laugh:

Poni BLOWS. I have a good feeling we'll sign Havlat. If we don't I think we'll sign someone who can play in the top 6. That's whether Clarkson leaves or not. If Clarkson does leave then we might sign two guys, or just one and let Matteau take that spot.

Hi five! The thought of Poni on this team next year sickens me. As I've said more than once, gimme Mr Rogers over Poni please! YUCK!

If the only thing we do is re sign Poni well then hello 25th or possibly 28th in the league in goals for AGAIN!

If we actually had a first rounder next year then I wouldn't be completely against bringing back a lot of the roster and making some tweaks here and there but after what I saw last year from this group, I just can't support a similar roster come October. It's just too risky and the thought of giving up a lottery pick is beyond frightening. At least 1 top 6 player has to be obtained and whatever happens with Poni is whatever. I can't lose sleep over a guy like that. Theres about 100 other players in the league that can do what he does.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If we actually had a first rounder next year then I wouldn't be completely against bringing back a lot of the roster and making some tweaks here and there but after what I saw last year from this group, I just can't support a similar roster come October. It's just too risky and the thought of giving up a lottery pick is beyond frightening. At least 1 top 6 player has to be obtained and whatever happens with Poni is whatever. I can't lose sleep over a guy like that. Theres about 100 other players in the league that can do what he does.

Even if guys achieve at career norms then I think we still need more muscle. I mean muscle in goal scoring too, not some more goonies.

5 years ago Marty might be able to weather the storm for us. Not so much now. It isn't a knock on him cause he's 41 years old. This isn't one of the early 2000s teams that relied on defense/goaltending and could get away with mediocre goals for records for a couple of those seasons.

Hell, those teams even scored more than what we were on pace for in 82.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
it's just not friday without someone getting drunk early.

don't drink and post.

Don't be an Isles fan and bash the Devils and post in 2013. Unless of course you came from 1984 in a time machine and all you knows are Isles cup teams, and Devils mickey mouse teams.

Sorry had to do it!:laugh: Delete if necessary.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Does that circle extend to Hossa? If it does, he'd have a connection to Elias and Kovy.

It's a well known fact that Lou tried to get Hossa from the Thrashers in 08. They were gonna get Gionta and our 1st round, and I forget what else. Pittsburgh somehow outbid him. Not sure how cause I remember the package not being that good, but maybe I remember wrong.

If Hossa is available I'm sure Lou will be interested. Though Hossa is one of the few guys if amnestied that I expect will probably get a decent salary still, and possibly a contract of more than one year.

What are the chances of him being amnestied? I hear an awful lot about it around here lately.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
It's a well known fact that Lou tried to get Hossa from the Thrashers in 08. They were gonna get Gionta and our 1st round, and I forget what else. Pittsburgh somehow outbid him. Not sure how cause I remember the package not being that good, but maybe I remember wrong.

If Hossa is available I'm sure Lou will be interested. Though Hossa is one of the few guys if amnestied that I expect will probably get a decent salary still, and possibly a contract of more than one year.

What are the chances of him being amnestied? I hear an awful lot about it around here lately.

I'm glad to know Lou wanted him and that he'd likely have interest. Even at his age, I could see Hossa getting 3years/$12M and I'd be fine with that.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm glad to know Lou wanted him and that he'd likely have interest. Even at his age, I could see Hossa getting 3years/$12M and I'd be fine with that.
I think we'd have to bid, but that wouldn't be a bad salary.

His contract is just too long at what it is now.

Blackhawkswincup if you are lurking, what do you think will happen to Hossa? Will he be an amnesty buyout for the Blackhawks, Or no?

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
I know i read somewhere that Havlat and Elias are good friends and have been for YEARS. Hossa however i do not believe is connected.

On that note i would take Hossa WAY above Havlat if Hossa is a UFA.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I know i read somewhere that Havlat and Elias are good friends and have been for YEARS. Hossa however i do not believe is connected.

On that note i would take Hossa WAY above Havlat if Hossa is a UFA.

I think we would all take Hossa over Havlat. Hossa is older, but not as injury prone (I don't think) and simply better.

Havlat would be pretty sweet worst case scenario.

Holtz My Bahls

Jan 5, 2011
New Jersey
Really don't understand this Clarkson to Toronto done deal ********, clearly it's false, but how does one have any credibility spewing such garbage...?

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
Hossa would be by far the best player on the market though, guarantee he would get a bigger salary than 4 million. I doubt he's getting amnestied though.

I would absolutely love for my favorite player to play for my favorite team again though

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Hossa would be by far the best player on the market though, guarantee he would get a bigger salary than 4 million. I doubt he's getting amnestied though.

I would absolutely love for my favorite player to play for my favorite team again though

Would it be necessary though? I would think that an amnestied player might be in a position to go where he wants and be willing to play for a bit less as he's already being paid the buyout.

Holtz My Bahls

Jan 5, 2011
New Jersey
Would it be necessary though? I would think that an amnestied player might be in a position to go where he wants and be willing to play for a bit less as he's already being paid the buyout.

That won't stop a potential bidding war between teams that are desperate for his services.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad