NHL Entry Draft: 2013 Mock (Lottery) Draft

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
1. :avs SETH JONES - D - PORTLAND (WHL)
-- Obvious selection. Local kid who also fits a need for Colorado. Question becomes how long does Colorado take to make the pick?

2. :panthers NATHAN MACKINNON - C - HALIFAX (QMJHL)
-- Another obvious pick. Had Florida won the lottery, I think they would have went with MacKinnon regardless. A potential #1C is something they've been dying for.

3. :bolts JONATHAN DROUIN - LW - HALIFAX (QMJHL)
-- The final of the 'big 3' come off the board. Drouin is the perfect replacement down the road for St. Louis. They may be tempted by the trio of centers, but Drouin is way too good to pass up.

4. :nashville ALEKSANDER BARKOV - C - TAPPARA (SM-liiga)
-- Nichushkin may be BPA, but after the whole Radulov debacle, it's extremely doubtful that Piole and co. go with another Russian. Barkov fits what Nashville have been looking for since they drafted Legwand, a true, potential #1. Big and skillful player is a perfect match for the Preds.

5. :canes SEAN MONAHAN - C - OTTAWA (OHL)
-- Another team that may be tempted by Nichushkin, but given JR's history, it's once again doubtful that he goes here, even with he and Semin sharing the same agent. Monahan fits the Hurricanes mold (Big, defensively responsible center with good skill who also shows good leadership).

6. :flames ELIAS LINDHOLM - C - BRYNAS (ELITSERIEN)
-- Whichever center is left out of Barkov, Monahan or Lindholm will be selected by Calgary, they just have to. He is quite possibly Calgary's #1 target in this draft, so Feaster and co. will be thrilled to see him available here at #6.

7. :edmonton CURTIS LAZAR - C - EDMONTON (WHL)
-- Oilers fans aren't going to like me for this. With Nichushkin and Nurse available they have to be the pick, right? I just don't see them going for Nichushkin with all the wingers they have already, they need center depth. With Lazar being in their backyard, they get to see him more than others. Could be the 'reach' just like Skinner and Scheifele were.

8. :sabres VALERI NICHUSHKIN - W - TRAKTOR (KHL)
-- After stopping Grigorenko's slide last year, Buffalo has shown that they're not afraid to draft Russians. At #8 overall, Nichushkin is very good value for the Sabres. Down the road, putting him on a line with Hodgson could be a sight to see.

9. :devils HUNTER SHINKARUK - W - MEDICINE HAT (WHL)
-- A team desperate for scorers after Parise's departure may have just found their medicine here. Shinkaruk has a great shot and some pretty nifty hands to go along with it. A pick that the hometown crowd should enjoy.

10. :stars DARNELL NURSE - D - SAULT ST. MARIE (OHL)
-- Dallas goes with the top defenseman available. I forsee a run on forwards a la the 2010/2011 drafts, which bumps down the defensemen to spots where people thought they would be off the board. Nurse at #10 would be an incredible pick for Dallas.

11. :flyers RASMUS RISTOLAINEN - D - TPS (SM-liiga)
-- Philly, like Dallas has to go with the best defenseman available. After missing out on the storybook of McNabb's cousin being drafted by Philly, the Flyers settle for Ristolainen, who may be a better fit. Potential top 5 talent in any other draft.

12. :coyotes BO HORVAT - C - LONDON (OHL)
-- The Coyotes are loaded on young defenseman, so I would have to think they go forward here. Horvat at #12 is a damn solid pick. As another mock draft on here said, Horvat is a pretty underrated player who pretty much does everything well.

13. :jets MAX DOMI - C - LONDON (OHL)
-- At this rate, the Jets would go BPA. Whether that's Domi or Wennberg is up for debate, I feel it's Domi so I have the Jets going for him. They could also go for one of the D left on the board (Zadorov or Pulock), but I think they go forward.

14. :cbj RYAN PULOCK - D - BRANDON (WHL)
-- With three 1st round picks, the Jackets will probably go with BPA. To me that's Pulock, even with the strength of Columbus' defense this year and with Murray in the pool, I feel at #14, Pulock is good value and would be tough to pass on for Columbus.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Dallas will go with Risto over Nurse since they're flooded with LHD.

Yup. Love Nurse, but I don't see enough of a difference between the two to take a LHD in Nurse over Risto (a RHD).

George Maharis

Risk Taker
Feb 6, 2011
nova sGOATia
Yup. Love Nurse, but I don't see enough of a difference between the two to take a LHD in Nurse over Risto (a RHD).

Personally, I wouldn't take Nurse top-10... it might be from my lack of exposure to him, but I just don't see what's so special.

I'd go Jones, Zadorov, Ristolainen, Pulock, then Nurse.. I may even take Morrissey before him.

WildcatMapleLeafs28

Jun 30, 2009
Atlantic Canada
Ryan Hartman will be a steal if he slips out of the top15. Anyone else think NJ may go with Fucale. With their average goalie age of 40 and only locked up for one more season, Fucale could be their future guy.

Mar 15, 2011
NJ
Ryan Hartman will be a steal if he slips out of the top15. Anyone else think NJ may go with Fucale. With their average goalie age of 40 and only locked up for one more season, Fucale could be their future guy.

Great, so we can wait 3-4 years for Fucale to be ready? No thanks. Devils are going forward and anything else would be silly.

George Maharis

Risk Taker
Feb 6, 2011
nova sGOATia
Great, so we can wait 3-4 years for Fucale to be ready? No thanks. Devils are going forward and anything else would be silly.

You're better off getting the star-studded forward in rd.1 and then if you want, you could get Comrie/Martin/Jarry with 39th. I'm more than sure Fucale will be taken in the 1st round, hopefully by Toronto!!

That being said, how far away is Wedgewood?

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
There will be so much rage if the Oil take Lazar at 7, unfortunately I could see them doing it.

Yeah, I'm sure there would, but I do like Lazar and think he'd fit well with the Oilers. Having Barkov, Monahan and Lindholm go 4-6 is basically worst case scenario for Edmonton. As I said, I don't think they jump on Nichushkin and I just really don't see them going for a defenseman either.

jacketman10

May 18, 2010
Hilliard, OH
People aren't thinking right if they don't think there is a chance that we select a defenseman in the first. I believe that Pulock is the last one worthy right now of selecting a defenseman in the first.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Lazar over Ristolainen or Nurse?!? I'd die laughing if they did that.

I mean I can understand why they would, but still...

Cue I Am the Liqour complaining about how I don't know jack **** about the second coming of Jonathan Toews based on my criticism of the next Scott Niedermayer Griffin Reinhart.

MPStoEberletoHall*

Oilers won't take Lazar at 7. I can see them trading the pick to move down then select him

To Coyotes:
7th overall

To Oilers:
12th overall
Samuelsson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad