2013 Mock Draft

SeLaine

May 26, 2004
This is a very early attempt at a 2013 Mock Draft. I've tried to use a combination of where guys fit now as well as some guys I see rising over the year. Standings are based on predicted 2012-2013 standings but please don't put a lot of emphasis on where your team is picking (the summer is still young). Comments appreciated.

1. Columbus Blue Jackets: Nathan MacKinnon F
After losing the lottery last year the Jackets get the opportunity to land their new franchise centerpiece. After taking Ryan Murray this past year and hopefully having the Rick Nash speculation done with Mackinnon makes the most sense for this franchise.
2. Anaheim Ducks: Seth Jones D
I don't know why but I have a bad feeling about the Ducks this year. If they find themselves in this spot they will have the opportunity to add a potential franchise defenseman.
3. Phoenix Coyotes: Alexander Barkov F
Phoenix is another team I see falling off this season. Barkov gives them a potential top line center with elite 2 way skills. I see him developing into a Mikko Koivu type with perhaps more offensive potential he would be a great fit in this system.
4. New York Islanders: Sean Monohan F
Another elite 2 way center who would be a great compliment to Tavares.
5. Winnipeg Jets: Curtis Lazar F
A gritty 2 way player who would be a great fit with their group of young players.
6. Nashville Predators: Ryan Pulock D
With the departure of Ryan Suter and the potential departure of Shea Weber this would be a great pickup to potentially help offset some of this loss.
7. Tampa Bay Lightning: Hunter Shinkaruk F
After passing on Jeff Skinner a couple years ago the Lightning gets chance to add another small highly skilled goal scorer.
8. Edmonton Oilers: Zachary Fucale G
I'm sure the Oilers would like to see a Seth Jones or Ryan Pulock available when they step to the podium but the potential of adding a franchise goaltender would be a great consolation prize.
9. Montreal Canadiens: Jonathan Drouin F
A highly skilled forward who I believe will be a huge riser this year playing on a great Halifax team.
10. Toronto Maple Leafs: Adam Erne F
This kid is a prototypical Brian Burke player and would make a lot of sense at this point even if Burke isn't the one making this selection.
11. Florida Panthers: Robert Hagg D
12. Colorado Avalanche: Kerby Rychel F
13. New Jersey Devils: Elias Lindholm F
14. Calgary Flames: Rasmus Ristolainen D
15. Ottawa Senators: William Carrier F
16. Washington Capitals: Valery Nichushkin F
17. Detroit Red Wings: Max Domi F
18. San Jose Sharks: Madison Bowey D
19. Minnesota Wild: Nick Sorenson F
20. Buffalo Sabres: Samuel Morin D
21. Dallas Stars: Anthony Duclair F
22. Carolina Hurricanes: Eric Comrie G
23. Boston Bruins: Bo Horvat F
24. Los Angeles Kings: Nikita Zadorov D
25. Vancouver Canucks: Josh Morrissey D
26. Pittsburgh Penguins: Alex Forsberg F
27. St. Louis Blues: Pavel Buchnevich F
28. New York Rangers: Hudson Fasching F
29. Chicago Blackhawks: Ryan Kujawinski F
30. Philadelphia Flyers: Jeremy Gregoire F

MPStoEberletoHall*

Edm wont take a goalie that high. Expect them to try and trade up to get a Centerman if the right one is there. I see Tambo going after Barkov

MPS-RNH-Eberle
Hall-Barkov-Yakopov

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
JT Compher? Good ol' Illinois kid, the Hawks will be all over him if he's there at 29.. I mean, 30th. :)

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Here's the type of players I think Edmonton would lean towards if faced with players of equal talents.

Center - Doesn't need to be 6 foot 11 but has to be physical and project better than Gagner. My guess is they'll be in love with Lazaar.

Defense - Strong all around d-man. Must have good offensive instincts. I'll bet they'd fall in love with Jones in Poluck.

Winger - If they identify an extremely physical winger that can skate and score I could see them biting. I don't know the draft well enough to identify any of those types of players.

Goalie? - Can't say I know Edmonton's drafting philosiphy but I'm guessing they'd have to be pretty sold on the goalie if they were drafting high. If they don't have anyone of the player above mentioned then anything is possible.

Ace Dreamer

Apr 27, 2012
As a Habs fan, I want them to have another lottery pick in 2013 for an opportunity to get Mackinnon, Jones, Shinkaruk, Monahan, or Lazar

Hooliganx3

Oct 28, 2010
PHX at with the 3rd pick is a stretch they just were in the Western Conference finals. Yes they did lose Whitney but I really expect Doan to resign. Also OEL will be a year more mature and better IMO. I think Yandle will also have a better season. Their defense and system IMO are to good to be a lottery team. Even if they regress I think it will be just outside the playoffs most likely outside of the top 10.

DKQ

Generic User Title
Jun 17, 2012
Press Box
I expect New Jersey to be picking around the 8-12 range and I think Lou will nab one of Elias Lindholm, Kerby Rychel or Adam Erne. We have a full defensive system and a decent goalie system (plus a certain New Jersey HHOF goalie's son should be getting picked sometime in the mid-rounds ;)) We just need forwards that can score

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
As a Habs fan, I want them to have another lottery pick in 2013 for an opportunity to get Mackinnon, Jones, Shinkaruk, Monahan, or Lazar

What kind of person wants their team to be awful? Wow..

A fan that wants their team to do a real rebuild instead of just barely missing the playoffs every year.

If the players get locked out every team will have a chance through a lottery to pick 1st.MacKinnon and Jones have just as good a chance to be a Hab.With either of those players Montreal would be an elite team within 4-5 years.The Habs have 3 more choices in the 2nd round and there will be some really good players to add from those.Wishing for some luck in a lottery isn't hoping the Habs play bad as there won't be a season.Seth Jones could be the best pick for the Habs giving them another "Big Three" on defence once more with Galchenyuk being the leader on offence with Pacioretty and Collberg.Subban,Beaulieu,Tinordi,Thrower,"Seth Jones",Emelin and Gorges with Carey Price would be a great defence and that's what wins Stanley Cups.

Last edited:

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Jesus, why is Anaheim so low? They have a healthy Hiller who won't have to play a stupid amount of games with the addition of Fasth. They've beefed up their D with Souray and Allen while Sbisa and Fowler will undoubtedly be better than last year. And all we did was add to and mature our offense from last year

Palmieri-Getzlaf-Perry
Ryan-Koivu-Selanne
DSP-Bonino-Winnik
Beleskey-Holland-Maroon

Now I'm not sure that's good enough for the playoffs, but jostling with CBJ for first overall? Give me a break.

I say a safe bet is, with a shortened season Anaheim finishes somewhere around 8-10 in the draft at worst.

ManByng

It's Me OilTastic
Aug 4, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta
Here's the type of players I think Edmonton would lean towards if faced with players of equal talents.

Center - Doesn't need to be 6 foot 11 but has to be physical and project better than Gagner. My guess is they'll be in love with Lazar.

Defense - Strong all around d-man. Must have good offensive instincts. I'll bet they'd fall in love with Jones in Pulock.

Winger - If they identify an extremely physical winger that can skate and score I could see them biting. I don't know the draft well enough to identify any of those types of players.

Goalie? - Can't say I know Edmonton's drafting philosophy but I'm guessing they'd have to be pretty sold on the goalie if they were drafting high. If they don't have anyone of the player above mentioned then anything is possible.

the Oil will still draft reasonably high, so a couple of things come to mind...first off, no chance they take a goalie with a high to mid round 1st ! too risky and look how long they have waited for the last goalie they took in the 1st round, Devan Dubnyk, to develop ! second, they will look to add another center or d-man for sure if the best player available when they pick isn't a winger. players that may still be there if the Oil pick between i'm guessing 6 to 12 would be D-men Pulock or Ristolainen or Morrissey, or centers like Lazar or Nichushkin or Lindholm. these would be the targeted players. my opinion.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
If all goes right your looking at five plus players at 7M+ A year!

Hall and Eberle already signed for 6M long term, so there goes that theory.

I'd love for Tambo to try and get Barkov, he'd be a perfect fit but I just wonder what they'd have to give up to move up that far. Unless they just win the lottery from 7th or 8th again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad