Line Combos: 2013 Minnesota Wild

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
Oh believe me I know Lats isn't doing great this year and I'm glad he's gone. But If we had a player that could play that same game that'd be wonderful.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
why?
healthy lats was definite top six material here in MN...aggressive offensively and physically.

It would seem injuries still affect him. He's not in peak shape to be playing top six minutes. It doesn't help that he's currently out with an injury.

J Bert

Jan 31, 2013
Parise - Koivu - Granlund
Heatley - Bouchard - Coyle
Setoguchi - Cullen - Clutterbuck
Rupp - Konopka - Brodziak

Suter - Brodin
Falk - Spurgeon
Gilbert - Stoner

Trade Block: Setoguchi
Scratches: Mitchell, Scandella
In line to replace Setoguchi: Zucker or Larsson

Here is why I have the lines this way.

1st line: I have felt Granlund has been playing good all season except in our own zone. Put him with 2 guys who will hold him accountable and still make him a better player.

2nd line: Move Heatley down to 2nd line so Coyle can learn from him and one of the best playermakers we got. Let Bouchard do his thing while Heatley and Coyle theirs. Bouchard will get them the puck they just have to bury it.

3rd line: You have all the energy here you will ever need. Chance for a big goal, chance for blocked shots, chance for big hits, chance for something fierce to swing our way.

4th line: Let them go out there and put bodies on bodies. These guys are the Tough guy line for sure. Gave them enough to get under the skin of the opponents and lots of physical play.

D-pairings:
1st: they are working so well together, why ever split them up?

2nd: these 2 interest me. I think it could work out but it would be a slow rolling thing to develop chemistry but once there the pair would be set.

3rd: Another pair of guys who are just working so well together right now.

As a side note I would like to see Genoway up. I think he could work some sort of magic that few people believe he can, but I have seen him play many times in person and much like Parise he is often the hardest worker out there, that is when magic happens.

This:nod:

J Bert

Jan 31, 2013
I know Bouchard does not play C, but these lines just seem to mesh, and Butch does like to skate the puck and find teammates. Perhaps Butch on the 1st line with Parise and Koivu, and Granny Centering Heatley and Coyle if he can manage. Main thing is I do believe we can knock Heatley down to the second, as he has not looked good.

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
I know Bouchard does not play C, but these lines just seem to mesh, and Butch does like to skate the puck and find teammates. Perhaps Butch on the 1st line with Parise and Koivu, and Granny Centering Heatley and Coyle if he can manage. Main thing is I do believe we can knock Heatley down to the second, as he has not looked good.

I wonder if Coyle could play C instead of Granlund on that line. If that would work, I would be all for trying it.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
I feel like I am just a one-man band cheering for Mitchell here, but he has been awesome the last few games. One of the few highlights. I've mentioned it before, but I'd love to see him on a line with Setoguchi. Those two are apparently pretty good friends, and together maybe they'll figure something out. Mitchell is speedy gonzalez and Seto has some wheels as well, so Cullen could be a great fit between them.

My ideal lineup:

Parise - Koivu - Bouchard
Heatley - Granlund - Coyle
Setoguchi - Cullen - Mitchell
Clutterbuck - Konopka - Brodziak
x Rupp, Kassian

Brodziak should not be on the fourth line, and honestly neither should Clutter, but I like Mitchell's game far more than either of them, and both Clutter and Brodz have been disappointing this season thus far. Top D pairing should be Suter and Brodin. Beyond that, I don't really have an opinion. Gilbert - Scandella, Spurgeon - Stoner perhaps would work well, but I'm not confident in what would be the most beneficial.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
i don't know about Cullen, but i'd like to see Mitchell and Seto paired up for a game at least.

Billy Mays Here*

Heatley really needs to be moved off that first line because he's got it way too easy. All he has to do is stand in front of the net and let Parise and Koivu do all the work for him. And how the hell is he suppose to use that great shot of his when he's told to stand three feet away from the net? Move him down to the second line and bring up Seto to the first line. Two speedy wingers around Koivu both with a physical edge and a good shot. Continuing to give Seto sheltered minutes with incapable line-mates isn't going to help him produce. And I agree with Tyratoku about Mitchell's play lately. Dude has been good and I think some changes to that bottom six are in order as well. Mitchell has played a lot of center and Brodziak hasn't looked so far, especially offensively. So what if we had Mitchell take over Brodziak's spot as the 3rd line center? Here's my proposed lines:

Parise - Koivu - Seto
Heatley - Granlund - Bouchard
Cullen - Mitchell - Clutter
Brodziak - Konopka - Rupp

Billy Mays Here*

Well if Coyle is still with the Wild then I guess I'd switch it up a little more and go with:

Parise - Koivu - Seto
Bouchard - Cullen - Mitchell
Rupp - Konopka - Clutter

Two solid scoring lines, an offensive third line and a **** em' up fourth line. Give Brodziak a few games in the James Sheppard booth and see how he reacts.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
i don't know if Kass is here for too much longer. i wouldn't be surprised if they rotated people out constantly based on dog house status or matchup or whatever. More bulk would come in handy sometimes, other times you can't afford to give up the speed to get it.

WILDTATE10

Jul 24, 2005
I feel like I am just a one-man band cheering for Mitchell here, but he has been awesome the last few games. One of the few highlights. I've mentioned it before, but I'd love to see him on a line with Setoguchi. Those two are apparently pretty good friends, and together maybe they'll figure something out. Mitchell is speedy gonzalez and Seto has some wheels as well, so Cullen could be a great fit between them.

My ideal lineup:

Parise - Koivu - Bouchard
Setoguchi - Cullen - Mitchell
Clutterbuck - Konopka - Brodziak
x Rupp, Kassian

Brodziak should not be on the fourth line, and honestly neither should Clutter, but I like Mitchell's game far more than either of them, and both Clutter and Brodz have been disappointing this season thus far. Top D pairing should be Suter and Brodin. Beyond that, I don't really have an opinion. Gilbert - Scandella, Spurgeon - Stoner perhaps would work well, but I'm not confident in what would be the most beneficial.

Was just gonna come and post those lines

AJ Thelen

Nov 19, 2010
Pontypandy
Scratch Cullen, move Heatley to second and let him be able to fire the slapper. Move Coyle to 1st and make him play the battles infront.

El Nino22

Nov 19, 2010
Personally I think with the lack of production the Wild has gotten from its forwards outside of the top line they might as well spread their depth out across lines 2-4 and roll 4 lines all night. The only exception I would make to this is Konopka. His minutes should be sheltered.

Line 1: Parise-Koivu-Heatley
Line 2: PMB-Cullen-Coyle
Line 3: Granlund-Brodziak-Setoguichi
Line 4: Mitchell-Konopka-Clutterbuck

Line 1: Only line to have shown any offensive production. I do agree with the other posters who have mentioned Heatley's floating on this line, but it will be even more evident when he isn't playing with two Selke canidates. On top of that Parise-Koivu have been fantastic together and Heatley hasn't stopped getting chances he just hasn't been finishing the last few games.

Line 2: This was our most dangerous line against Phoenix. Cullen and Coyle work the cycle well and PMB just knows what to do with the puck. Coyle passed up some shooting opportunities in his first game in PHX, but that trend won't continue. Once he starts firing shots this line will be nasty.

Line 3: Granlund needs to be on the wing. That was obvious after his against PHX. Also despite their lack of production so far I think Granlund and Setoguichi have chemistry together. These two looked good playing with Konopka a big center who could clear some space up the middle do work in the corners and behind the net They will look even better with Brodz who can do all those things and hopefully together they can all spark their games.

Line 4: This line is pretty simple to figure out. They have a lot of speed and physicality. They'll score the odd goal here and there, but mainly just be hard to play against and wear out other teams on the cycle.

Billy Mays Here*

Any chance we could maybe move Coyle to center if it doesn't work out with Granlund there? If I recall correctly, Coyle has actually played a fair amount of center throughout his career.

Casper

30 goal grinder
Mar 23, 2010
MN
Personally I think with the lack of production the Wild has gotten from its forwards outside of the top line they might as well spread their depth out across lines 2-4 and roll 4 lines all night. The only exception I would make to this is Konopka. His minutes should be sheltered.

Line 1: Parise-Koivu-Heatley
Line 2: PMB-Cullen-Coyle
Line 3: Granlund-Brodziak-Setoguichi
Line 4: Mitchell-Konopka-Clutterbuck

Line 1: Only line to have shown any offensive production. I do agree with the other posters who have mentioned Heatley's floating on this line, but it will be even more evident when he isn't playing with two Selke canidates. On top of that Parise-Koivu have been fantastic together and Heatley hasn't stopped getting chances he just hasn't been finishing the last few games.

Line 2: This was our most dangerous line against Phoenix. Cullen and Coyle work the cycle well and PMB just knows what to do with the puck. Coyle passed up some shooting opportunities in his first game in PHX, but that trend won't continue. Once he starts firing shots this line will be nasty.

Line 3: Granlund needs to be on the wing. That was obvious after his against PHX. Also despite their lack of production so far I think Granlund and Setoguichi have chemistry together. These two looked good playing with Konopka a big center who could clear some space up the middle do work in the corners and behind the net They will look even better with Brodz who can do all those things and hopefully together they can all spark their games.

Line 4: This line is pretty simple to figure out. They have a lot of speed and physicality. They'll score the odd goal here and there, but mainly just be hard to play against and wear out other teams on the cycle.

I like this and can agree on all four points. I especially like the 3rd line -if Brodziak can return to last year's form this line will be money.

Role all four lines and base their playing time on who is playing the best. Obviously top players will get extra ice time with pp and pk.

El Nino22

Nov 19, 2010
I like this and can agree on all four points. I especially like the 3rd line -if Brodziak can return to last year's form this line will be money.

Role all four lines and base their playing time on who is playing the best. Obviously top players will get extra ice time with pp and pk.

:cheers:

Brodz has looked very pedestrian this year and i'm not entirely sure why. I think he plays better when he's with skill players. It allows him to focus mainly on being responsible defensively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad