Rumor: 2013 League Rumors/Trades/Signings Discussion IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
Wonder if Flames might have interest in Krug? It's been reported they were looking for a potential top 4 d-man prospect from Pittsburgh (although that might be a stretch for Krug), and Kirk hinted on twitter that Flames scouts are very familiar with NCAA prospects and could be looking at College prospects.

Krug/Subban/1st? Krug/Peverley/1st?

Kaoz*

Would you do Subban, Peverley, and 1st since we'd likely have to move him to re-sign Iginla anyway?

With Kelly out moving Pevs scares me. I wouldn't even venture to guess if Boston would do it but you'd certainly have to weigh whether or not that makes you a better team. With Kelly healthy it changes things significantly but where he's not... that's a tough one.

In a bubble I'd do it in a heart beat, in Boston's scenario right now with how much they depend on the PK being as good as it is I don't know. They still have Paille, Bergeron, Krejci and Campbell but it puts most of the onus on Bergeron.

Not sure Feaster would have much interest in Peverley in a deal for Iginla. If he moves him it will be with eyes on the future.

If Spooner, Subban and Koko re-entered the draft this year, where would they get picked?

All 1st round imo, Spooner and Koko mid-late with Subban around the middle of the pack. That still doesn't really guarantee anything though, first rounders fail to pan out often enough, especially goalies.

It'd be a chance I'd take honestly. Smaller skill players Boston has, they need to add size and talent and Iginla is both even at 35. That goal he scored last night to win the game was all work, pretty impressive, but that's just what he brings.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Wonder if Flames might have interest in Krug? It's been reported they were looking for a potential top 4 d-man prospect from Pittsburgh (although that might be a stretch for Krug), and Kirk hinted on twitter that Flames scouts are very familiar with NCAA prospects and could be looking at College prospects.

Krug/Subban/1st? Krug/Peverley/1st?

Either suggestion is still an absurd overpayment for Iginla, IMO. If you want to do Krug, Knight, second, then maybe it's okay. But to give up a first, your first from last year, and a decent prospect for nothing more than a rental (who is playing his worst hockey in years) is insane.

RG617

Jul 14, 2008
Boston, MA.
Just a random thought: If Calgary is truly interested long term goaltending, maybe Gothberg could be thrown in as a mild sweetener to any deal. He's not going to replace anyone of significant value as far in any trade, but it might be an interesting throw in. Personally, unless LA or Chicago have already set a standard, I'd see what Feaster says to Caron, Knight, and a 1st and leave the door open to adding Gothberg and possibly Krug. But since that it's probably the pipe dream of all pipe dreams to want to give up eight dimes and a nickel for a dollar, it's most likely going to be something like koko, Caron/Krug, and a 1st to even be considered. And I'd still offer Gothberg as a sweetener to that.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
All 1st round imo, Spooner and Koko mid-late with Subban around the middle of the pack. That still doesn't really guarantee anything though, first rounders fail to pan out often enough, especially goalies.

It'd be a chance I'd take honestly. Smaller skill players Boston has, they need to add size and talent and Iginla is both even at 35. That goal he scored last night to win the game was all work, pretty impressive, but that's just what he brings.

So effectively you'd be willing to give up 3 first round picks for Iginla? Is it fair to say that?

DNE3

Sep 14, 2010
Size, talent. One-year deal. All covered in one package.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

Would they? I don't really know. Seems like Fucale is more highly thought of going into this draft (supposedly a better one) than Subban was last year. And Fucale is a late first or maybe even a 2nd rounder. Would I take Khoko before Zykov? Probably not, and again he's a mid/late first to early 2nd. Spooner probably is the guy I really have no idea about, so I'll defer to those who have seen more of him.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Just a random thought: If Calgary is truly interested long term goaltending, maybe Gothberg could be thrown in as a mild sweetener to any deal. He's not going to replace anyone of significant value as far in any trade, but it might be an interesting throw in. Personally, unless LA or Chicago have already set a standard, I'd see what Feaster says to Caron, Knight, and a 1st and leave the door open to adding Gothberg and possibly Krug. But since that it's probably the pipe dream of all pipe dreams to want to give up eight dimes and a nickel for a dollar, it's most likely going to be something like koko, Caron/Krug, and a 1st to even be considered. And I'd still offer Gothberg as a sweetener to that.

They have a better NCAA goalie in Gillies. Don't see why they'd want Gothberg. Sure, depth is nice, but they have other goalie prospects as well (I'm pretty high on Joni Ortio too).

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
Either suggestion is still an absurd overpayment for Iginla, IMO. If you want to do Krug, Knight, second, then maybe it's okay. But to give up a first, your first from last year, and a decent prospect for nothing more than a rental (who is playing his worst hockey in years) is insane.

Late 1st, Late 1st, College UFA.

College UFA, Cap space, Late 1st

I think the value is there ... I think Iggy's got a good deal left in the tank, I don't like rentals as a rule so if PC does chase him I hope he's working on the assumption of extending him at a decent price.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
So effectively you'd be willing to give up 3 first round picks for Iginla? Is it fair to say that?

Khoko and a 1st. Really hesitant to do it, but I think that's fair. Wouldn't add much else to it though.

Kaoz*

If you wanted to look at it like that it's fair enough I'd say, but only in the context of where two overagers and Boston's last years first rounder go in today's draft. Extra development matters. Kalus and Karsums were 2nd rounders who likely would have gone higher if they re-entered the draft when they were dealt as well.

Am I sold on Subban? Not really. Solid prospect yes but sure thing? Not really, goalies have a knack of blowing up before ever reaching the NHL. When you look at the top goalies in the league this is readily apparent. Where many of the top producing skaters are former top 10 picks, many of the top goalies were late picks or undrafted acquisitions.

In regards to Spooner, where does his ceiling top out? 60 point, 2nd line center? Would losing someone like that hurt this teams future? Seems pretty replaceable to me honestly, and with guys like Koko, Ferlin, Griffith, Camper... Boston has some decent skilled forwards in the system already.

There would have to be a positive vibe around him resigning for me to bite though.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
For that let's get Fleischmann better player and would go with DK and signed for 2 more years

The Dangly One

Dangle dangle goal
Jun 13, 2011
Fit right in with Lucic and Krejci line, being slow as ***** lol. Still would take him though at the right price

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
If you wanted to look at it like that it's fair enough I'd say, but only in the context of where two overagers and Boston's last years first rounder go in today's draft. Extra development matters. Kalus and Karsums were 2nd rounders who likely would have gone higher if they re-entered the draft when they were dealt as well.............

There would have to be a positive vibe around him resigning for me to bite though.
3 first rounders is too much for me. You can hedge it as much as you want, but if you believe those guys would still go in the first round, you are giving up three first rounders and the promise that brings. Seeing as our pick is late, I'd peg Iginla as worth one 1st, and either a 2nd or another 1st depending on if he re-signs. Swap one of those picks for either Spooner or Subban and I could swallow it. Anything more than that seems ridiculous to me.

Put another way, I say Iginla is a slight upgrade on Horton right now (same contract status too). If there was a Horton clone out there, would you give say 2 first rounders to get him? I wouldn't even think about that.

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
There's not enough room to fit all of the prospects on this team. ID the ones you think have the best shot and look to upgrade the current roster with the others.

It's very hard to win if you don't take chances. Chiarelli had balls the size of watermelons the year he got Kelly, Peverley and Kaberle and it paid off ten fold.

He can sit back and hold fort and we might be OK, but realistically maybe win a round or 2. Or he can display his muscles a bit and infuse this roster with Iginla and show his team and the rest of the NHL that they're going to have to go through the Bruins to win. And good ****ing luck with that.

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
If the Iginla trade happens I hope Chiarelli negotiates a 2-3 year extension beforehand.

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
3 first rounders is too much for me. You can hedge it as much as you want, but if you believe those guys would still go in the first round, you are giving up three first rounders and the promise that brings. Seeing as our pick is late, I'd peg Iginla as worth one 1st, and either a 2nd or another 1st depending on if he re-signs. Swap one of those picks for either Spooner or Subban and I could swallow it. Anything more than that seems ridiculous to me.

Put another way, I say Iginla is a slight upgrade on Horton right now (same contract status too). If there was a Horton clone out there, would you give say 2 first rounders to get him? I wouldn't even think about that.

Yes I would. Iginla is an upgrade to Horton. The beauty of it though is that Horton is still on the team and Iginla is replacing a guy like Pandolfo or Caron. Mega upgrade there.

Kaoz*

That's probably where the disparity is, I don't. I say he's a solid upgrade on normal Horton, and a huge upgrade on the current recovering version we're seeing now.

Iginla brings more offense (consistent 30 goal guy) is far more durable, brings a lot more jam even at 35, and has a ton of wealth and leadership. He does this being the sole focus of the other team. Would I pay such a ransom for a Horton clone? No chance. Would I pay it for Iginla, sure would. He's Recchi but far better.

Chris7

Feb 21, 2012
Any chance Iginla could be signed as part of a deal or is he set on hitting the market?

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Recently watched an Iginla post game interview after another Calgary loss, wow does he look defeated. The man has been carrying that Franchise on his shoulders for years now. I get the feeling he will feel rejuvinated once joining a contender, & not having to be "The Man" every nite. I'd imagine it would be a great feeling for him to look down the bench and see Bergeron Marchand Seguin Lucic Horton Krejci Chara all wearing the same color jersey he's wearing....and maybe Iginla's presence will help wake up the "Bash Brothers"? I hope Koko, 1st & low-level prospect gets it done.. Dont overpay Chia pet!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->