Speculation: 2013 League Rumors/Trades/Signings Discussion III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
Eric Francis who covers the Flames has his take on trading Iginla.

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/03/2...y-flame-jarome-iginla-and-rest-of-flames-team

"With Iginla’s contract set to expire July 1 — his 36th birthday — the general belief is Iginla will fetch at least a late first-round draft pick and a prospect as a rental player. However, with at least three of the teams on his list extremely keen to add the future hall of famer in the next nine days, the competition could spur a club to cough up a top-nine forward, as well, if not a conditional pick should Iginla choose to re-sign with his new team."

They can have the negotiating rights to Horton or Soderberg if Iggy resigns.. deal? :laugh:

Kaoz*

With you there, I`m an admitted conservative Web GM;)

I cringe at the thought of pure rentals for high prices. Long proven that the "big splash" guys guarantee no more than making the smart moves for half the price

Pretty much, you need to get at least a couple of years out of them because it takes time to gell with a team and their system, or it takes time for the team to figure out how to adjust their system to you.

The issue in Boston with this is next years cap. Even if you can get Iggy for 3 more years at 5 mill per it would have pretty big consequences on the current roster. Horton would be gone, plus likely one of the other 5 mill+ roster players.

That's a bit too much to chew for me, but then again, Chia has a tendency to finagle the cap and make a liar out of me.

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
I don't want to trade Subban only for the fact that we can get something more than an aged rental for him in the future. Although, no matter what happens, if we trade for Iginla it will certainly reinvigorate this team and myself. Watching them lately has been a ******* snoozefest

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Iggy is an aging rental who doesn't have it anymore... shell of his former self. But he better re-sign for 2-3 more years!

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I don't understand how anyone gives up a # 1 in a deal for a rental unless they sign an extension as part of the deal....especially for a guy on the back end of his career.

The easy answer is that the Bruins #1 is very likely to be in the bottom 5 or so of the first round. Statistically those guys don't end up impact players. So you are, quite likely, giving up a fringe NHL player for a guy who you think will help you win a Cup. Moreover, you have playoff gates, merchandise, etc. to consider as it behooves you to maintain interest in your team by acquiring new players from time to time.

IMO Iginla is like adding another Horton, though slightly better. I think this team would absolutely benefit from that, and I think that's easily worth their 1st round pick. But I'm not sure it's worth a guy like Spooner, and I'm almost certain it's not worth both.

As for re-signing him, I'd expect that they would if only because he's not likely to go back to Calgary since they'd be in full rebuild. Further, it seems likely we'll have Horton's money to spend. So I'm not sure you need to make any trade "contingent" on that...you can probably safely assume it.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
if he did that, he also helped drive up the price on Igilna

Easy to say that but not necessarily true right? Because Iginla has a short list of teams he'd go to, and Calgary almost certainly doesn't want to move him to LA. So while Pittsburgh surely overpaid for Morrow, with only 2-3 teams left (Pitt, Bos, Chi), how high can the price really go?

And nobody asked, but my hunch is the Flames could get Spooner and a condtional pick from Boston, with the condition being whether he signs or how far the B's go.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Did anyone answer this?

What does this Morrow deal do to Pitt's cap? Can they still acquire Iginla without unloading a big salary?

reidy

@reidjjackson
For everyone who says "Iginla is a shell of his former self, etc. etc."... how many times have you watched him play this year? Genuinely curious. I'm of the opinion these talent evaluations get spouted once or twice then spread like wildfire. He'd be one of the 3 best forwards on this team right now.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
What does this Morrow deal do to Pitt's cap? Can they still acquire Iginla without unloading a big salary?

My understanding is that the cap is basically meaningless this year. Given the short season, and the limited number of games

Penguins were 9 million under the cap, which means they could take something like 30 million in contracts.

Basically every team in the league is flush with cap space for this year. That is one of the reasons it is so hard to make a deal, combined with of course the fact that eveyone is in playoff contention

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
My understanding is that the cap is basically meaningless this year. Given the short season, and the limited number of games

Penguins were 9 million under the cap, which means they could take something like 30 million in contracts.

Basically every team in the league is flush with cap space for this year. That is one of the reasons it is so hard to make a deal, combined with of course the fact that eveyone is in playoff contention

Ok.

Gotta think though that giving up Morrow couldn't have been easy. I wonder if they'd also be willing to part with the prospects it'd take to get Iginla.

Kaoz*

A ways back.

Pittsburgh at the time of acquiring Morrow could add 24.6 mill worth of AVV according to capgeek.

Take away Morrows 4.1mill and they can still add upwards of 20mill in AAV today. Although that number is likely a touch high due to callups and such that capgeek may have missed, that is the approximate. That number increases slightly the closer we get to the deadline also. They could add 3 Iginla's if they chose.

The impact to next year is a little more foggy. They have 53mill committed to the 64.3 limit, with 8 forwards, 6 defensemen and 2 goalies. Notables that need to be resigned are all low cost types (Cooke, Dupuis, Adams, Jeffrey, Eaton). They could feasibly acquire Iginla and rather easily resign him.

You look at their current prospect pool and they seem to have an abundance of attractive pieces, probably in better shape in that regard then we are as Calgary is apparently looking at a solid D prospect coming back. Pittsburgh still has Pouliot, Despres, Maatta, Dumoulin, and Harrington.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
For everyone who says "Iginla is a shell of his former self, etc. etc."... how many times have you watched him play this year? Genuinely curious. I'm of the opinion these talent evaluations get spouted once or twice then spread like wildfire. He'd be one of the 3 best forwards on this team right now.

He'd help many ways- I think it would be a great pickup as long as they dont give up the farm; likey resign him also

Feaster has 4 teams to deal with all four GM's have won a Cup in last 4 years no job security pressure

also, Iginla is going and this reminds me of Bourque who ended going West, had it been to the rival Flyers might have been tough

I know if I am Feaster all things equal I want him in the East.
Calgary only plays Chicago in April- no Kings on schedule, but the Kings will be in the 7 team Division with Calgary next season and that would be a total bummer to see him coming in a handful of times; Chicago is also over in that Conference.

I can't see Dean Lombardi still wallowing in a Cup giving up Tyler Toffoli (who I've seen 3 or 4 times between Manchester a half hour from work, and Providence and who I love) and Bernier. You really think for a rental the Kings want to be looking at that for the next 6-10 years...um no

same for Chicago- they would take him I'm sure but Saad:laugh: and others

I think both of these guys would be happy to see him go to Pittsburgh or Boston

Chiarelli is pretty shrewd and I would bet he is talking to these two Western teams about their interest in him and if he senses its between he an Pittsburgh that changes things a bit Being in different Conferences really changes dialogue- I remember Burke saying that when he took over Toronto from the Ducks. Boston I'm sure will be talking to both Chicago and LA on this

We (me and Jamie aka Godfather here) have Joe Morrow in the SIM League so I follow him more than other prospects not Bruins related and he has a very high upside. This was a pretty big price to pay for Brendan Morrow. Not sure the Pens want to go back there and pony up what the Flames fans or more importantly Feaster will give.

I think he's got a got shot of coming and maybe the Bruins give up Subban considering the develpment of Svedberg, but that by itself is a huge price for 11 games and atleast one playoff series for him,

I think he is exactly what this team could use and could see him staying for a few years- but Chiarelli has more strength here than many think; he can be patient and feels no where near the pressure those that crave for the iconic player we do.

biggles8

Jan 30, 2007
Cape Cod
Iginla changes this team and its lethargy instantly IMO and everyone else follows. No he's not the same guy as say 5 seasons ago but if you have the cap room (and we do) and it takes say Koko, Peverly and next years first rounder which will be a late round pick then I do that deal in a second.
So many folks seem so obsessed over every single prospect we've got in the chute it's ridiculous .
This is JEROME IGINLA and he plays to win every shift of every game even for a very middle of the road Calgary club.
Unless Calgary's demands are ridiculous I'd have him in uniform here for the Montreal game .
Go for the Cup any and every chance you've got a shot at it realistically and take your chances on resigning him later
That guy was born to play for Boston.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
I would rather target Bouwmeester if he's available and the price point is right (like not multiple top-6 forward prospects and picks). He's a 29 year old top-3 defenseman who skates well and can play in every situation. I know he's somewhat of a strange fellow, but he might be the perfect guy to take stress minutes away from Chara and Seidenberg.

Chara-Seidenberg
Bouwmeester-Boychuk
Ference-Hamilton
McQuaid
Johnson

It'd still take a lot of creativity to fix the 3rd line though.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
A ways back.

Pittsburgh at the time of acquiring Morrow could add 24.6 mill worth of AVV according to capgeek.

Take away Morrows 4.1mill and they can still add upwards of 20mill in AAV today. Although that number is likely a touch high due to callups and such that capgeek may have missed, that is the approximate. That number increases slightly the closer we get to the deadline also. They could add 3 Iginla's if they chose.

The impact to next year is a little more foggy. They have 53mill committed to the 64.3 limit, with 8 forwards, 6 defensemen and 2 goalies. Notables that need to be resigned are all low cost types (Cooke, Dupuis, Adams, Jeffrey, Eaton). They could feasibly acquire Iginla and rather easily resign him.

You look at their current prospect pool and they seem to have an abundance of attractive pieces, probably in better shape in that regard then we are as Calgary is apparently looking at a solid D prospect coming back. Pittsburgh still has Pouliot, Despres, Maatta, Dumoulin, and Harrington.

Well that's not very good news.

I have to wonder if the Bruins would ever consider moving a real player off their roster to make a deal happen. Thinking out loud, would the Bruins ever consider including Lucic in a deal to Calgary if it was expanded to include J-Bo, Glencross or Cammalleri? Not advocating such a deal nor do I have a feeling as to whether they'd do it, but certainly if they were open to it then other deals become possible right? I mean theoretically you could call Dallas about Eriksson if you made Lucic available. Maybe try to add Robidas or Daly?

This thought isn't a cue to the Lucic lovers to come running on defending his intangibles. I'm not advocating it I'm just noting that he's a coveted guy and being open to moving him changes the types of deals we could structure.

reidy

@reidjjackson
He'd help many ways- I think it would be a great pickup as long as they dont give up the farm; likey resign him also

Feaster has 4 teams to deal with all four GM's have won a Cup in last 4 years no job security pressure

also, Iginla is going and this reminds me of Bourque who ended going West, had it been to the rival Flyers might have been tough

I know if I am Feaster all things equal I want him in the East.
Calgary only plays Chicago in April- no Kings on schedule, but the Kings will be in the 7 team Division with Calgary next season and that would be a total bummer to see him coming in a handful of times; Chicago is also over in that Conference.

I can't see Dean Lombardi still wallowing in a Cup giving up Tyler Toffoli (who I've seen 3 or 4 times between Manchester a half hour from work, and Providence and who I love) and Bernier. You really think for a rental the Kings want to be looking at that for the next 6-10 years...um no

same for Chicago- they would take him I'm sure but Saad:laugh: and others

I think both of these guys would be happy to see him go to Pittsburgh or Boston

Chiarelli is pretty shrewd and I would bet he is talking to these two Western teams about their interest in him and if he senses its between he an Pittsburgh that changes things a bit Being in different Conferences really changes dialogue- I remember Burke saying that when he took over Toronto from the Ducks. Boston I'm sure will be talking to both Chicago and LA on this

We (me and Jamie aka Godfather here) have Joe Morrow in the SIM League so I follow him more than other prospects not Bruins related and he has a very high upside. This was a pretty big price to pay for Brendan Morrow. Not sure the Pens want to go back there and pony up what the Flames fans or more importantly Feaster will give.

I think he's got a got shot of coming and maybe the Bruins give up Subban considering the develpment of Svedberg, but that by itself is a huge price for 11 games and atleast one playoff series for him,

I think he is exactly what this team could use and could see him staying for a few years- but Chiarelli has more strength here than many think; he can be patient and feels no where near the pressure those that crave for the iconic player we do.
Agreed on all points, no doubt Chiarelli is negotiating from a position of strength re: Iginla. Do the Bruins absolutely have to have him? No. Would it be nice? Absolutely. Still, with such a short list of teams (and I'm betting Pittsburgh is out of the running now that they've traded (their to)Morrow for Morrow), Feaster is going to become desperate for a return.

I'd probably do Subban, Caron + pick. I'd be much more hesitant if Subban was replaced with Spooner (I know you walk away there) or KoKo. That said, I think Chiarelli can get him without giving up Spooner or KoKo.

Here's hoping he does.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Who has more value in the trade market right now: Iginla or Nathan Horton?

Iginla

Better player, not by much though. Also adds the added "name" benefit, as well as the supposed leadership, grit, etc. that is close to unmatched in the NHL, supposedly.

reidy

@reidjjackson
Well that's not very good news.

I have to wonder if the Bruins would ever consider moving a real player off their roster to make a deal happen. Thinking out loud, would the Bruins ever consider including Lucic in a deal to Calgary if it was expanded to include J-Bo, Glencross or Cammalleri? Not advocating such a deal nor do I have a feeling as to whether they'd do it, but certainly if they were open to it then other deals become possible right? I mean theoretically you could call Dallas about Eriksson if you made Lucic available. Maybe try to add Robidas or Daly?

This thought isn't a cue to the Lucic lovers to come running on defending his intangibles. I'm not advocating it I'm just noting that he's a coveted guy and being open to moving him changes the types of deals we could structure.
Feaster drives Iginla to the airport if he's getting Lucic back in a deal. Lucic would immediately replace Iggy as the face of that franchise. No chance I move him there even if the return is J-Bo/Glencross/Cammalleri.

Dallas on the other hand would be intriguing. Eriksson for Lucic straight up? :naughty:

NASCL

Jun 22, 2010
Feaster drives Iginla to the airport if he's getting Lucic back in a deal. Lucic would immediately replace Iggy as the face of that franchise. No chance I move him there even if the return is J-Bo/Glencross/Cammalleri.

Dallas on the other hand would be intriguing. Eriksson for Lucic straight up? :naughty:

I've always thought Vancouver would overpay for Lucic. Kesler (I know he's injured) would intrigue me.

When's he due back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad