2013 IIHF World Junior Hockey Championship

nhljohnson

Jul 4, 2006
Kucherov biggest problem for me is physical play, he really shies away from plays, if he can improve this, he has everything to be an all-star someday.

Throwing and absorbing hits doesn't make you an all-star. Ask Brad Richards, because their approach to physical contact are close approximations as far as I can tell. Also worth remembering that Kucherov has already had shoulder troubles this season.

What's more important to note at this juncture is that Kucherov and Grigorenko have skated, created and produced most consistently for the Russians up to this point in the tournament, moreso even than the much-heralded Yakupov.

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
Throwing and absorbing hits doesn't make you an all-star. Ask Brad Richards, because their approach to physical contact are close approximations as far as I can tell. Also worth remembering that Kucherov has already had shoulder troubles this season.

What's more important to note at this juncture is that Kucherov and Grigorenko have skated, created and produced most consistently for the Russians up to this point in the tournament, moreso even than the much-heralded Yakupov.

Their chemistry angers me even more that we passed on Grigs for Koekoek. :(

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Their chemistry angers me even more that we passed on Grigs for Koekoek. :(
I still don't get it, TBH. I'm not saying Koekkoek is not a good pick (who knows at this point) but Grigorenko, Forsberg and Teravainen were still out there when we picked him.

Last edited:

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course

Here's hoping he gets lit up.

I still don't get it, TBH. I'm not saying Koekkoek is not a good pick (who knows at this point) but Grigorenko, Forsberg and Teravainen were still out there when we picked him.

Maybe Tampa went more for need with that pick? Maybe because Koekkoek is like 2-3 years out of NHL. Well so is TT and maybe Forsberg too. And I don't like the idea of picking for need. Because it may not be need for couple of years down the road when the pick is ready to contribute and you may easily get more value/better player by going BPA and then trading him.

TT and Grigs project as C's.. Vinny and Stammer ain't going nowhere in near future. Well you could always go for a trade (TT or Grigs) but maybe that pushed Koekkoek slightly ahead of them.

Forsberg has talent but is still very raw.. maybe they didn't think it was worth it.

I wouldn't have picked Koekkoek out of those but I've seen the least of him from that group. I hope Tampa management saw the kid as BPA.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

Eh, in the words of Bob McKenzie at the draft, "Slater Koekkoek and Matt Dumba were the shutdown pair for team Canada at the Ivan Hlinka under 18 tournament last August. That was the defense pair that Canada used to shut down Filip Forsberg and Mikhail Grigorenko. Interesting to see that Dumba's been taken, Koekkoek's been taken , but Filip Forsberg...and Mikhail Grigorenko... have yet to go."

To add to that Al Murray put emphasis on his "track record" when he talked about what Slater had shown before his injury. I'm guessing his appearances with Team Canada at the U-17, Ivan Hlinka, and U-18s where he probably went up against these players played a big factor where they saw him as the better player.

Here's hoping he gets lit up.
I was really looking forward to seeing how he would do against the Canadians. He played great against the Slovaks and the Germans but they aren't as great a test of the Canadians are. Hopefully they don't stick with Makarov and he'll get another crack at them.

Maybe Tampa went more for need with that pick? Maybe because Koekkoek is like 2-3 years out of NHL. Well so is TT and maybe Forsberg too. And I don't like the idea of picking for need. Because it may not be need for couple of years down the road when the pick is ready to contribute and you may easily get more value/better player by going BPA and then trading him.

TT and Grigs project as C's.. Vinny and Stammer ain't going nowhere in near future. Well you could always go for a trade (TT or Grigs) but maybe that pushed Koekkoek slightly ahead of them.

Forsberg has talent but is still very raw.. maybe they didn't think it was worth it.

I wouldn't have picked Koekkoek out of those but I've seen the least of him from that group. I hope Tampa management saw the kid as BPA.

Al Murray has said he was the BPA

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
iihf article on Vasilevski

http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/news/news-singleview/recap/7436.html?tx_ttnews[backPid]=187&cHash=13f22ddbd5
“Do you dream of performing for Salavat Yulayev?†the reporters persisted.

“Maybe when I turn 40 and come back from the USA,†Vasilevski said with a grin. “If everything goes right, I will come back there to end my career. If there’s a serious chance, I would play [for Salavat Yulayev] with pleasure, but I wasn't given a chance.â€

“So, your path will take you over the ocean?â€

“Yes, I will leave the very next year,†said Vasilevski. “I'd like to thank Tampa Bay for drafting me so high [19th overall in 2012]. To be the first goalie chosen in the draft is a big honour for me. I didn't even dream about it. Probably, I was chosen so high because of my performance for the U20 national team of Russia.â€

“Tampa is searching for a good young goalie,†Vasilevski continued. “That goalie is me. But the road to the NHL can be long. I was asked if I am ready to play a couple of years for the farm team. I said I'm ready. I need to develop, and if I am not able to play for the first squad in Ufa, what am I doing here? If I stop developing at my age, that can end my career. And I want to follow the example of Sergei Bobrovski, who came to training camp and very soon started to play for the Philadelphia Flyers.â€
“I don't have a contract in Ufa for the next year, so I am not sure exactly where I’ll play,†said Vasilevski. “I don't know what will happen, but I want to play in the NHL badly.â€

Here’s an interesting point. “Vasya†– that's the nickname for Vasilevski – tried to wear his Tampa Bay t-shirt for the Russian team’s open media day, but the staff told him not to.
:vhappy:

Yzlamic Preacher*

Feeling bad for Switzerland. They should have scored at least one on the 5 on 3 PP. Richard played a solid game.

Too bad when people find out he is a Bolts Prospect, he will become an over rated bum.

start winnin

NO MORE TANK BOYS
May 7, 2011
Buffalo
What you guys want for Kucherov?!? :laugh:

Great prospect you guys have on your hands, him and Grigo compliment each other so well.

CC321

Jun 23, 2012

Great prospect you guys have on your hands, him and Grigo compliment each other so well.

We have a load and a half of forwards and goalies coming up, we could use some Dmen though. BUF has several good Dmen, maybe Brayden Mcnabb, or Andrej Sekera + a third rd. pick?

BoltSTH

Sep 4, 2008
Tampa

He's not bad for a bottom of the 2nd pick (#58) :)

With him, Vasilevskiy, Namestnikov, Nesterov. Sergeev and Gusev we have have some good Ruski's in the pipeline

CC321

Jun 23, 2012
I've been watching all the games, lots of fun. Ristolainen is better than I expected. People are starting to notice Mirco Muller, I was hoping we could nab him in the 2nd, but it isn't likely he lasts that long after having a strong tourny.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->