2013 Draft Class Status

FanboySlayer*

How many of the top draft picks from this latest draft are likely to begin this season in the NHL? I check the scoring summaries from the pre-season games and it doesn't look like any of them lit it up during pre-season.

We're keeping Ristolainen and may give Zadorov a look <9 games. Vancouver is keeping Horvat and Shinkaruk around for a look. I assume Mackinnon, Drouin, Barkov and Jones will stick. What about Lindholm, Monahan and any others from the 2013 class?

mgeise

May 20, 2006
Fargo, ND
It looks like Monahan will get at least a 9 game look from the Flames, but it's not a sure thing. Lindholm has been confirmed to be on Carolina's opening night roster and will get a chance to prove if he's ready for the NHL. If not, he might spend most of the season in the AHL.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
How many of the top draft picks from this latest draft are likely to begin this season in the NHL? I check the scoring summaries from the pre-season games and it doesn't look like any of them lit it up during pre-season.

We're keeping Ristolainen and may give Zadorov a look <9 games. Vancouver is keeping Horvat and Shinkaruk around for a look. I assume Mackinnon, Drouin, Barkov and Jones will stick. What about Lindholm, Monahan and any others from the 2013 class?

8of the top 10 are going to be in the opening day lineup, only Darnell Nurse (returned) and Jonathan Drouin are possibly being returned. Outside the top 10 Hunter Shinkaruk and Bo Horvat are getting the 9 game trial, I would guess one or both get returned when Kassian returns.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Doesn't seem like Drouin will stick actually, he'll be back in Halifax with Fucale.

That is the sounds of it, they have a bunch of other NHL prospects they want to give an opportunity too and they seem to want Jonathan Drouin to play center, Halifax is a good place for him to learn that position and be the guy on the World Junior team.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Bobby Mac seems to think Bo Horvat is being sent back to London because he wasnt at practice today.

I know Max Domi has been sent back to London already.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
8of the top 10 are going to be in the opening day lineup, only Darnell Nurse (returned) and Jonathan Drouin are possibly being returned. Outside the top 10 Hunter Shinkaruk and Bo Horvat are getting the 9 game trial, I would guess one or both get returned when Kassian returns.

I though Horvat was selected at #9...which I think still is in the top 10 :)

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Okay, to try to assemble what people have posted:
(Any changes/additions?)

1 1 Colorado Nathan MacKinnon -made team
1 2 Florida Aleksander Barkov
1 3 Tampa Bay Jonathan Drouin - returned to juniors
1 4 Nashville Seth Jones - made team
1 5 Carolina Elias Lindholm - on opening night roster
1 6 Calgary Sean Monahan
1 7 Edmonton Darnell Nurse - returned to juniors
1 8 Buffalo Rasmus Ristolainen - made team
1 9 Vancouver Bo Horvat -returned to juniors
1 10 Dallas Valeri Nichushkin - made team
1 11 Philadelphia Samuel Morin - returned to juniors
1 12 Phoenix Max Domi - returned to juniors
1 13 Winnipeg Josh Morrissey - returned to juniors
1 14 Columbus Alexander Wennberg
1 15 NY Islanders Ryan Pulock
1 16 Buffalo Nikita Zadorov - IR or juniors?

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
Okay, to try to assemble what people have posted:
(Any changes/additions?)

1 1 Colorado Nathan MacKinnon -made team
1 2 Florida Aleksander Barkov
1 3 Tampa Bay Jonathan Drouin - returned to juniors
1 4 Nashville Seth Jones - made team
1 5 Carolina Elias Lindholm - on opening night roster
1 6 Calgary Sean Monahan
1 7 Edmonton Darnell Nurse - returned to juniors
1 8 Buffalo Rasmus Ristolainen - made team
1 9 Vancouver Bo Horvat -returned to juniors
1 10 Dallas Valeri Nichushkin - made team
1 11 Philadelphia Samuel Morin - returned to juniors
1 12 Phoenix Max Domi - returned to juniors
1 13 Winnipeg Josh Morrissey - returned to juniors
1 14 Columbus Alexander Wennberg
1 15 NY Islanders Ryan Pulock
1 16 Buffalo Nikita Zadorov - IR or juniors?

Barkov made the Panthers, will be 2C. Monahan I expect to be 3C on the Flames.

As for Wennberg, he likely heads back to Sweden for a year, and Pulock will go back to Brandon because the NYI have way too many NHL-ready defensemen.

FanboySlayer*

I read on a Canes site that Lindholm could go to the AHL since he missed a lot of the pre-season. So Europeans can go to the AHL while those who are drafted from the CHL have to go back to their junior teams.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I read on a Canes site that Lindholm could go to the AHL since he missed a lot of the pre-season. So Europeans can go to the AHL while those who are drafted from the CHL have to go back to their junior teams.

If he has a contract with Brynas still, probably not. He could be sent there for a conditioning stint, but the vast majority of European contracts only have out clauses for the NHL and not the AHL.

mgeise

May 20, 2006
Fargo, ND
Chip Alexander from the Raleigh News and Observer tweeted "Rutherford said Elias Lindholm (hand injury) would be on the opening night roster. Then decision to be made if he needs games in Charlotte." Indicates that he'll either be in the NHL or AHL this year, but it's unclear if the "games in Charlotte" part would just be for a conditioning stint.

FanboySlayer*

ahhh that's what he meant - coming off an injury a conditioning stint with their AHL team in Charlotte.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Wennberg's been playing in Europe (SHL).

Lindholm has only played in Carolina's preseason opener IIRC, so saying he's made their roster is a bit premature until his injuries subside and conditioning returns.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
MacKinnon just had a scuffle with Ben Lovejoy in the Avs game. He's all over the ice out there.

FanboySlayer*

Mackinnon looks every bit the #1 pick, will be a beast with finesse, and of course we should have tanked last season.

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
2nd OA pick Aleksander Barkov scored a goal typically for him from winning a battle in front of the goal. He also became the youngest to score a goal in the NHL since the 1967 expansion.

I feel like you could make a good top six line out of these top prospects this season already.

Nichuskin-Barkov-Mckinnon
Ristolainen-Jones

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
2nd OA pick Aleksander Barkov scored a goal typically for him from winning a battle in front of the goal. He also became the youngest to score a goal in the NHL since the 1967 expansion.

I feel like you could make a good top six line out of these top prospects this season already.

Nichuskin-Barkov-Mckinnon
Ristolainen-Jones

You could definitely use that as a top forward line but the d-pairing would ideally be a team's 3rd or at least 2nd pairing until those two get a lot more experience.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad