Prospect Info: 2013 Draft- 7th Round-Janne Juvonen-G

Seth Lake

Jun 28, 2005
Nashville, TN
Another goalie from Finland playing in the SM-liiga to bolster the ranks behind Pekka.

Juvonen is a late ’94 birthdate so this is a big year for the Finnish ‘tender. He is decent size standing at 6’0” although maybe on the smaller side by today’s standards. He is one of a handful of talented goalies coming out of Finland that is garnering NHL attention along with the likes of Ville Husso, Kevin Lankinen, and Atte Tolvanen. He had a bit of a rough go to open up his NJEC versus Sweden as he allowed 8 goals on 39 shots. He seemed to then settle in for a younger goalie showing his mental toughness as the week progressed and ended camp with a solid win against Team USA. Juvonen will need to shine early and often with Pelicans (SML) to earn his roster spot.
Submitted by: Russ Bitely from the USA Hockey National Junior Evaluation Camp – U20 Team Finland – Lake Placid, NY – August 4th-11th

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2013/NHL-Draft-Profiles/Janne-Juvonen

Interesting to note Juvonen has 6 games of experience in the SM-liiga already over the past two seasons. Will be interesting to note if he makes jump full-time next season.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
From NHL.com
http://predators.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=675951:

Nashville rounded out the 2013 NHL Entry Draft with its selection of goaltender Janne Juvonen (203rd overall). Juvonen becomes the second netminder and third selection from Finland’s Jr. A SM-Liiga chosen by the Predators. During the 2012-13 season, the 6-1, 183-pound goalie posted a 2.97 goals-against average and a .902 save percentage in 11 games for Lahti’s Jr. A squad, and 3.51 goals-against average and a .884 save percentage in four games with Lahti’s SM-Liiga team in 2012-13.
“He was kind of hard to scout this year,”Janne Kekalainen said. “He was kind of in-between in many situations. He’s a young kid. He was the third or fourth goalie for his men’s league team. He was too good to play in juniors, but was behind on the national teams. He didn’t get to play a lot. Every time I saw him play, he was excellent. He has a very strong mindset in the net and on the ice. He’s calm, doesn’t get rattled about anything. He’s been in some high-pressure situations and shown great ability to stay calm and excel in tough spots. He’ll get a great chance to play next year and even be a number one goalie on his men’s league team in Finland. I see a lot of talent and ability in him. He needs to become better in practice and there’s still a lot of developing to do, but the talent is there and he needs to mature a little bit. Then, he can be a terrific goalie.”

Has shown some flashes of brilliance in he's career(playing in sm-liiga finals as 17-year old a year ago) but he is somewhat inconsistent and physically inmature. Lots to like in his game; very calm, good positioning and good side-to-side movement. Needs to improve his rebound control. Reminds me of Antti Niemi.

Last edited:

KiedisA

Feb 27, 2010
Isn't he the guy who was forced to step in when all the three Pelicans goalies got injured in the SM-Liiga finals two years ago as a 16-year old? I remember people saying he actually played well all things considered..

Pajicz

Mar 22, 2011
Isn't he the guy who was forced to step in when all the three Pelicans goalies got injured in the SM-Liiga finals two years ago as a 16-year old? I remember people saying he actually played well all things considered..

Yeah (as a 17-year-old though). He played well there, and was already considered as a possible 2nd round pick before last season... which obviously didn't go well.

Still, a good pick for the Predators. Could be a huge steal.

jonu

Dec 11, 2014
Moon
Juvonen is silently having an excellent season, in a not so good (injury plagued) Pelicans team.

He has silently taken over the starter job from his colleague who has suffered from inconsistent play and injuries this season.
Funnily someone compared him to Niemi earlier in this thread, and now he is kind of taking of the starter job in the team same way as Niemi did in his Liiga days.

I think Nashville has another lateround gem in him.

Stats:
37 GP 2,45 GAA and 91,98 SV%

GeauxPreds

Jul 5, 2013
Not exactly the best numbers but if he's playing behind an awful team it seems like there is potential.

GeauxPreds

Jul 5, 2013
Well obviously utk, but I think the point is we may end up with a goalie out of the 7th round, and any time you can turn a 7th rounder into an Nhler or at least something of trade value, that's a good thing. Hopefully he continues to progress.

jonu

Dec 11, 2014
Moon
Not exactly the best numbers but if he's playing behind an awful team it seems like there is potential.

Yeah, could have listed the stats of the teams other goalie, Jere Myllyniemi.

Here they are:
13 GP 2,43 GAA 91,18 SV%

As said, Myllyniemi has played inconsistently this season and is now out for the rest of the season because of an injury afaik.

When you compare Juvonen's numbers to his, they are alright.

I'm not doubting Saros or anything, in fact I'm a fan of smaller goalies. However, I might see more NHL potential in Juvonen because of the added size (Even though its only a minor change in height). Best case scenario, Nashville has two goalie gems in their hand and can use at least one of them as a trade bait in the future.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: