2013 CHL Import draft

Raimu

That weird Dragon girl
Jan 21, 2006
Halifax, NS
Its updated now.. just laid out stupidly. You have to look at the "Traded to" Column to actually see who's picking, which is extra stupid when you see "Vancouver traded to Vancouver #1"

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Guy, Russian Hockey Federation will ban transfer of players U18 to abroad. Like Hockey Canada did.

icing

Jun 22, 2003
Sweden
How do the teams usually draft? Do they take players they now will play for them or are they just taking a chance that the player might come over?

Just saw Victor Crus-Rydberg getting picked by Kitchener and there are rumors about Jakob Forsbacka Karlsson leaving for the CHL. Both of them play in the junior program at my home town hockey club. Getting worried here.. :( ;)

Raimu

That weird Dragon girl
Jan 21, 2006
Halifax, NS
Picks are submitted to the league via telephone. Draft is done from the GM's offices.

I believe GMs talk with agents and players before the draft, draft the best player available who is likely to report.

GX

Dec 28, 2011
GMs draft the best player available who is likely to report.

I suspect that it could be true for, let's say, Top 10 picks. Later on I guess those are players that have negotiated a spot on the team already before the draft.

A couple of years ago there was this Latvian kid called Ričards BērziņÅ¡ - there is no way he could have been scouted as a worthy player, yet Owen Sound drafted him. He played one single game and was let go.. :) Clearly, his agent had promised the team that he will cross the pond, with Owen Sound not even being sure what they are picking. (I think he played at the U18 WC, so there was some credibility to him..)

Raimu

That weird Dragon girl
Jan 21, 2006
Halifax, NS
I suspect that it could be true for, let's say, Top 10 picks. Later on I guess those are players that have negotiated a spot on the team already before the draft.

A couple of years ago there was this Latvian kid called Ričards BērziņÅ¡ - there is no way he could have been scouted as a worthy player, yet Owen Sound drafted him. He played one single game and was let go.. :) Clearly, his agent had promised the team that he will cross the pond, with Owen Sound not even being sure what they are picking. (I think he played at the U18 WC, so there was some credibility to him..)

I think that's a case of a team looking for a player but not wanting to do the research (scouting) or spend a lot of money to bring him over.

Adam Veliky was a great example of Cape Breton just wanting a guy who would report and not even scouting him... luckily their staff has changed since then.

I think the last guy you want to ask for an honest opinion of a players talent is his agent. I'm pretty sure Allen Walsh was his agent and hyped him up to CB.

Babula

May 31, 2012
any info on Vaclav Karabacek?

This is copy of "Czechexpert" post in Czech prospect thread in bookmark central europe on Vaclav Karabacek : Skilled, scoring winger with good skating and hockey sense. Not big but not afraid to take hit and play in traffic. Nice prospect. Gatineau could be really good fit for him.

Babula

May 31, 2012
I think that's a case of a team looking for a player but not wanting to do the research (scouting) or spend a lot of money to bring him over.

Adam Veliky was a great example of Cape Breton just wanting a guy who would report and not even scouting him... luckily their staff has changed since then.

I think the last guy you want to ask for an honest opinion of a players talent is his agent. I'm pretty sure Allen Walsh was his agent and hyped him up to CB.

Finally, I understand this waste pick by Cape Breton. Thx for explanations.

Trav

Aug 2, 2005
I wonder what the chances are that the giants get Dmitri Osipov to come over?

His agent has already told the Giants he'll report to them so I'd say the chances are good unless the Russian hockey federation tries and blocks the move.

andersej

Jul 16, 2009
Copenhagen

Denmark had one of those in Daniel K. Hansen. An undersized and not very skilled defenseman going to the WHL and the Medicine Hat Tigers. Not a good combo for playing in the WHL. Not only didn't they scout him, but it's almost like they didn't bother reading his measurements. Eventually he was 'reassigned' back to Denmark before the season even began.

I suspect the agent was heavily involved in this transaction as well.

Last edited:

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
The most important thing are money, development fees.

Have a look at international player tranfers in football, hockey and basketball.

1) FIFA and FIBA ban international transfers of players under 18 yrs (exceptions if family moved or the player leaves country to study). IIHF does not ban international transfers of players under 18 yrs. Club can ban tranfer if the player has pro-contract. I would like to ask you how many players U18 have such pro-contract in Finland. Majority of U18 players, or almost nobody? If almost nobody, how can clubs keep their top prospects? I have no problem if euro players go to CHL (or slovaks/czechs to SHL/SM-Liiga) at the age of 16... I have problem if they go for free.

A former member national association can only refuse to sign a LOA if one of the four reasons in section I article 2.2(c) exists

2.2 c)
The former member national association may only refuse to sign the transfer card (or LOA) if:1) the player is a signed professional player currently under a professional player contract (refer to section II article 4 for appeal procedures)
http://www.iihf.com/fileadmin/user_...ternational_Transfer_Regulations_20130204.pdf

2) FIFA and FIBA have mechanism of developing fee which must pay new club of a player to his former club... and this is paid if a player is/is not under contract. If a player is under contract, his club can ask transfer fee as well (in NBA case part of transfer fee is paid by player as I wrote earlier). In hockey there is not "development fee" if a player transfers from lets say Europe to CHL or SM-Liiga to KHL/SHL...

johnnydrum

Oct 17, 2006
United Kingdom

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->